What’s the Difference?

P1000817

Ball or Strike?

As baseball season returns, I bumped into an old story that still makes me smile. My apology to cricket fans, and the March Madness of college basketball.

Three baseball umpires are each asked how they call balls and strikes. The first explains,”If a thrown pitch crosses the plate between the knees and the shoulders, it’s a strike, otherwise it’s a ball.” When asked the same question, the second umpire replies, “If they’re balls, I call them balls. If they’re strikes, I call them strikes.” At which point the third umpire says, “They ain’t nothin’ til I call em.”

Reminds me of the way that we’ve been trying to explain the meaning of that unusual unexplained detail about the embarrassment of a young man in Mark 14:51-52. Some of our responses are focused on trying to find the facts. Others are reflecting the way we personally interact with what happened to the one who lost his clothes. Some of us are probably considering it an issue, or not, based on our own interest.

In this light, let’s move to a third question: What is the Bible talking about when it makes a distinction between “the clean” and “the unclean”? In some places there’s a rule to explain the difference (Matt 15:2); sometimes, it’s a matter of epiphany (a sudden personal realization about the nature or meaning of something) (Isa 6:5); and sometimes it seems to be a matter of personal perspective, as when Paul writes that unto the pure all things are pure, but for the defiled, nothing is pure (Titus 1:15).

Seems to me that, as with the three umpires, there is something to the thought that we see things not only as they are, but as we are. What’s your call? I think this is worth thinking about together.

38 Responses to “What’s the Difference?”

Not sure what you expect to uncover other than as you pointed out *our* views of the same thing.

Kind of like a Rorschach test.

Technically things clean or unclean in the Bible refer to the things given in the Law of Moses.

Peter was told to eat of the unclean foods shown in a vision (Acts 10:13) and in Acts 10:15 the voice states that which God has cleansed is no longer *common* (unclean).

It is said our works are as filthy rags, yet faith we are told without works is dead.

So it seems that once washed in the blood of Christ all unclean things become clean.

Our eyes, our lips, our thoughts, our heart, our essence becomes clean and acceptable, everything not changed by the work of the cross and blood of the Lamb remains unclean.

2. BruceC says:

You are correct Mart; we do see things as we are. Or should I say from we “are coming from”. The believer sees things from a far different point of view than the unsaved. Those who claim to be followers of Christ also have their differing points of view. Some see many parts of the Bible as just stories with a good, moral teaching. Others see them as truthful events that actually happened.
    I once read where Billy Graham had stated that every time he read the Word he saw something new. As with our naked friend we had discussed.
    And the seeing things as “we are” can also change within us also. When times are great and wonderful some may not think upon the Lord as much as they would during times of difficulty and trials. And so the point of view may vary a little. Their faith may weaken some or maybe strengthen.
    In the church all we need do is look at all the different denominations to get a really good example of “we see things not only as they are, but as we are”.

BruceC
    Soli Deo Gloria!

3. fadingman says:

While there are all kinds of old covenant rules to determine if something is clean or unclean, ultimately ‘clean’ is determined by God. If He says someone is clean, then he is clean (i.e. John 13:10). It is based on what God sees, not what we see.

Oh, the blessings of being in Christ, where all God sees is His righteousness!

– Andrew

I have often wondered when Noah entered the Arc and the Lord told him to take 7 of clean and 2 each of unclean animals(Gen 7:2), since the Law had not been given I was confused what that meant and pretty much still am.

I remember Jesus saying that it is not what goes into a mouth that makes one clean or unclean but what comes out of it. Also saying we are so concerned about the cleanliness on the outside but have left the inside (heart) unclean.

I guess for me I have been taught through the years not to allow emotions to dictate my direction so I probably search out facts but also consider how I would feel if I were in another’s position. After listening to so many offer up their hearts I try and separate myself and listen to what they may or may not be saying by body language, non-verbal clues and reading between the lines, then confirm with them if I have understood them correctly leaving room for correction.

Normally things are not always as they seem and finding facts and adhering to guidelines sure does stop a lot of assuming and jumping to conclusions.

Then just saying a simple, “I do not know” is always good too!

(Matt 15:2) (Isa 6:5) (Titus 1:15)

Good Afternoon Mart & Friends –

It seems to me the Matthew quote reflects the Pharisaical perspective: physically washed hands equal clean.

But Isaiah, himself a member of the temple leadership, saw that his lips – speech being a reflection of the state of the heart – are unclean before the Lord until the Lord himself transforms them – the inner (wo)man then able to perceive and to judge according to God’s will.

Paul writes to Titus as a transformed Pharisee, knowing the Law of Moses yet applying the Law of Christ – cleansed and renewed to perceive cleanly. Hence, to hear the Pharisee speaking as in the Matthew passage, Paul might well ask, “Gee Brother, how’s the weather in there?” Out of the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks.

PS Greetings from the hills of Carolina!

7. oneg2dblu says:

One would think that once the Holy Spirit within you becomes the voice you hear and follow, then that Spirit would direct you in what is clean and unclean for you.
    In all aspects of our lives, like in our tastes in everything, music, reading, watching TV, food, drink, all activities, and even our thoughts.
    If that Spirit directs you, then as Charles Stanley says, “Obey God and leave all the consequences to Him.”
    That works for me, but, “Do I always listen first?”
    I think we all know the answer to that one…
    Gary

Over the years I have been completely amazed how we can read the same topics and come away with things that may or may not be relevant to what is written. It is like did we read the same thing because where on earth did some things come from. I would venture to guess it is due to “that we see things not only as they are, but as we are”.

Perhaps the difference is what Paul called the “circumcision of the heart.” (Romans 2:29) This is the deliverance from sin given in Jesus by grace through faith. Maru

If we deem something clean but another thinks in their hearts it is unclean then to prevent them from stumbling we follow their direction because we after all are to look out for the interest of others not just ourselves.

Out of the three umpires which would I like to umpire my game and I would make the choice on the first. My reasons would be because he has set guidelines for his frame of reference which would be fair for all players the other 2 it would seem is left to their opinions as they seem fit. What if they are having a bad day then the players are left into the hands of emotions. I need guidelines that are proven to work for the best interest of all.

12. oneg2dblu says:

pooh… I agree guidelines that are set to apply equally to all, would certainly seem to work best, for the rules of the game are clearly already set by the ruling authorities of the game.
    God gave to us His guidelines, His authoritative rulings on life, which are clearly found in His law and His word.
    However, the world at large does not appreciate them nor will they follow them on their own.
    Where we get our guidelines from and how we then apply them can make all the difference about how we actually play the game.
    Today, many of our higher worldly thinking rulers do not want to offend others by applying any old well established rules that used to work, where we now give every player a medal of acceptance, no matter what they do or don’t do, instead.
    Amnesty if you will.
    Like all have already hit their home run even before they get off the bench. No pressure to perform within the rules or with any excellence there!
    No rules need apply when fairness becomes the only rule.
    I wonder by whose authority we changed the rules, and now let society and politically correct fairness with all its good feelings, set the rule instead?
    Perhaps,it was the ruler of this world…
    Gary

Gary, I do not feel it is up to me to force the guidelines I live by on others. I live by them because of love even though I still have not been able to follow them all perfectly. If I can not follow them perfectly how can I expect others to follow them perfectly that is where grace comes in. I am not the umpire, God is. I am the batter. I am not responsible to get the other batters to hit the ball the way I do and let the umpire judge where the position of the ball is because only He knows the intent of the heart. I am responsible for how I follow the guidelines not how everyone else does.

To me we are called to love all the batters and let the umpire do His job.

Are you as hard on yourself as you are on others? If you are how do you live an abundant life, full of joy when there is so much criticism and judgment? So busy taking the place of the umpire when do you get time to step up to the plate to play the game?

14. s2inkzoo says:

As far as seeing things as we are, I don’t think there is any doubt that how we are influences how we see things. Consider Proverbs 14:1 and then I Corinthians 1:18 or I Corinthians 1:23. But we also have to consider the other perspective of how God see things (I Corinthians 3:19) because of who he is. People who have just overcome a certain sin can start using that particular sin as their most important judgement of others. Likewise, those that excuse a certain sin in themselves can overlook it in others too. But at the deeper level, people believe things as “facts” based on how they are. But, maybe I just believe this because of how I am.

But it is interesting that this is coupled with the topic of clean and unclean. As Andrew said in his post, the ultimate umpire on this is God. And, by the way, sometime in the future all will pass before this umpire for “the call”. I think it is interesting that the first thing that people would encounter in the temple was the Brazen alter. The reminder that they needed a sacrifice for their sins before they approached God. The second item was the Sea, which was their for the priests to wash. Again a reminder that even the priests needed to be cleansed. Now as Gary said, you would think we would be “clean” from sin after we are saved, but somehow we still fall short in not following God. So maybe the idea of clean and unclean and its image is good. Something we have to keep attending to because we get “dirty”.

Which gets us back to who we are. When we make calls on things we sometime forget that we do not have a perfect understanding of God, or a perfect relationship with Him. Yet, with God all things are possible. He reveals things to us not based on our wisdom or depth of study (Matthew 11:25). But we have to remember it works the other way too. He reveals things to others that he may not reveal to us, no matter how hard we have studied or prayed.

stu

15. s2inkzoo says:

First reference should have been Psalm 14:1.

Andrew I would agree fully, “What God calls clean is clean”.

Maru I thought you were on the west coast. The mountains of North Carolina are almost as good as it gets.

Gary I am glad to see you are ok.

Mart when I was in the Marines we used to torture people for telling bad jokes, an arm twist or knee twist nothing permanent; I thought of those days when you ask “what was our call?” referring to the umpire’s calls.

I am going to say that over time my perception of many things have mellowed or possibly blurred from stark lines to sometimes fuzzy ones.

Without the experience of life I seen things only from a limited and immature view, I had not the wisdom to have learned from the life experiences of others. A curse too many of us possess; we have to taste the bitter waters ourselves before we know what bitter water tastes like.

Life has taught me to be more tolerant while at the same time be quicker to see things for what they are. From my view of clean/unclean spiritually I would have to believe all is soiled by impure thoughts as well as impure acts; both it would seem are a violation against the purity of an unsoiled heart.

Only the covering of the blood of the Lamb obscures that impure/unclean spot from our hearts. While at the same time, God is God and will do as He sees as is His will; always a strike and never a balk.

17. BruceC says:

s2inkzoo,

Wow! Did you hit the nail on the head about those that have gotten victory over a certain sin in their life and then pound others that are still struggling. Before God delivered me(and that not of my own strength whatsoever)of my cigarette addiction I did not like “ex-smokers” getting down on me like many did. It turned me right off.

poohpity,

In the spiritual and Biblical sense your last post was spot on!

Gary,

I think what you are referring to is how our dumb culture operates today. It is so afraid of offending anyone because of political correctness that people are led to think that nobody fails at anything. Imagine what that does to education? How are children graded today? When I was a youth all the sports teams had try-outs to see who would qualify. Some did and some did not.
    Failure is part of this life and all need to learn that.
    So you are correct about the culture today.

BruceC
    Soli Deo Gloria!

18. oneg2dblu says:

pooh… like you’ve said, I’m glad you don’t feel it is up to you to “force the guidelines” you live by on others.

That must have made the raising of children a real breeze.

Sometimes life or God gives us the opportunity, authority, or position to love others, through sharing and showing them the guidelines, even the harder ones.
    I don’t know if it makes us all jugemental umpires, but it does keep us in the game. :)
    Gary

19. oneg2dblu says:

BruceC… yes, I was speaking to the ever falling culture that lowers the standards to take away the disciple required for achieving through any effort that which produces greater character and rewards it for doing so.
    Gary

20. oneg2dblu says:

Steve… thanks for the show of warmth in your words.
    I trust all is on the mend with you as well. Gary

21. oneg2dblu says:

s2inkzoo… Even during the best played game where all the players followed the rules to a tee, the umpire has to step in and clean off the plate every once in a while.
    The uniforms still get dirty and need to go to the cleaner,
    and the team that quits playing goes home labeled a loser.
    Gary

Gary, raising my children was the greatest responsibility I have ever had in my life especially doing it alone. Teaching them to look to the Lord and not me to fulfill all their needs, admitting I do not know it all, admitting when I was wrong, giving and receiving forgiveness, letting go of blame, to search for truth, if I criticized them then they would learn to criticize others, to treat others just like they would like to be treated and doing wrong always has consequences so to think before they acted. Practicing those things would help them brush up and enjoy their game before they stepped up to the plate and the pitch is thrown.

23. saled says:

“We see things not only as they are, but as we are.” Yes, so true. This reminds me of Matthew 7:1. Judge not, that you be not judged.

Umpires judge. And fans judge them by their calls. Referees judge also. During this past week, there has been lots of controversy in my community due to inexperienced refs at our elementary school basketball games. These refs are well-meaning people who get paid only a small amount for working a game. Their calls are sometimes not the best, and reveal a lot about their knowledge and experience with basketball. Remember the saying, “It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt?”
    When we judge anything, we reveal a lot about ourselves.

I’ve had problems seeing all the posts here lately, also. When I just went to this site, there were only 15 posts showing. However, when I logged in to write, there were 22. Kind of like there are multiple versions of this site out there in cyberspace, and it is the luck of the draw which one you get.

Good Morning All —

I am away from home, Steve, attending a Caring for God’s Creation conference at beautiful Lk. Junaluska.

Saled, it seems to me you have captured the essence here. Every “breath I take, every move I make,” derives from my senses and cognition, which make up the best reality I can put together at the moment.

Your saying about silence is a good one. I am also reminded of the old adage: “Make your words sweet and tender, for you may have to eat them later.” If I judge, I often speak out of a perception that is at best uninformed and at worst unfair on account of my own bias.

Just a day before Mart came up with this topic I was reading Prov 23:7
    For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he.
    If you are looking for trouble, it will come.
    if you are looking for a feast it is always a feast.
    Reminds me of an old lady, she lives nearby, had a lovely scene every night when the sun would set on the field opposite her house. Then there were plans for a high building just in front of her, I came to her place asking if she did not mind? She answered, O dear, I have enjoyed the scenery for 25 years, I am very thankful for that!
    I was thinking, that is a great example for me! I ask God the joy, and the grace to think like that.
    I need to be renewed in my thinking, by God’s way of thinking, by the Holy Spirit, Rom 8:5
    The bible says that God has already blessed us in the heaveny realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ, what a great thought! If that would really grow in my mind, it is the truth written in the Word of God! Can I grasp it, I pray God would open my mind more and more. Plus I can stop the negative thinking, say to myself, stop..this is not God’s Word, He has given me everything I need!
    (Joyce Meyer in her book Battlefield of the mind, starts with this verse in Proverbs, very good book for this topic)

I was thinking about some that have pounded into their children that going to the movies, dancing and various other things are sins. So when those children grow up they are in fear of doing anything because it may be a sin and live their lives in constant watchfulness that anything they may do is going against God. How about those who do not even have electricity and live a very sheltered life of deprivation from the conveniences of the 21st century. It seems to be like the Pharisees who created several hundred do not’s but yet their hearts were so very far from God. Heaping their do as we do’s and folks lack the freedom that we are given in Christ, not to sin but if we are consumed with do not’s our eyes are on us not on the good that we could be doing.

27. tracey5tgbtg says:

Pooh – I agree with you.

Mart asked what do we think is the difference between clean and unclean. Reading Luke 11:37-41 this morning I see Jesus is questioned by a Pharisee for not washing his hands before eating. Jesus calls the Pharisee a hypocrite and tells him to quit being so proud of his “clean” exterior and take a look inside where he is full of wickedness.

I’ve read that passage in many translations because the last bit is confusing to me. I think so many people read it to say give to the poor and then you will be clean. But reading it all together, I don’t think that is exactly what Jesus is saying. In verse 40 Jesus says God made the inside as well as the outside. Then Jesus says give what is inside to the poor. But what is inside the Pharisee? Filth and wickedness! And isn’t that what is in every heart? Even Paul confesses to his struggles in Romans 7:23-24.

But how can you give away wickedness? Exactly as Paul does, by confessing it. By admitting it. By standing up in front of sinners and “coming clean” as it were.

Do we reveal the message of the gospel by showing how good (clean) we are or by admitting that inside we are unclean and no better than anyone else. We are all in the same position: totally dependent on the saving grace we receive from Jesus.

Foreverblessed, thanks for the story about the lady. How easy it is to get angry when it seems that injustice has been done to us. But in that anger we will never have the peace and contentment of resting in God, being thankful for what He has given us and surrendering to Him and saying, “Your will be done.”

28. cbrown says:

Gal 2:20 “I am crucified with Christ and it is no longer I who live but Christ lives in me and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and delivered Himself up for me”.

I was continuing to think about this and had stated earlier that I thought the umpire may be God but have since come to think it may be the law which has set parameters by which the calls are made. The first umpire knew those parameters and made his calls by them the others were more like the Pharisees in Luke 11:46 NLT based their decisions by who they are rather than the rules of the game.

30. oneg2dblu says:

I do not feel that raising children to follow the rules, is in any way a form of blatant forcing or wrong, and certainly children should not be rewarded for violating the rules either.
    Where then is the learning of right from wrong, and what the consequences are for right and wrong actions. Hebrews 12:11 is how we should apply the rules.
    It is where we all learn if we choose to sin, we choose to suffer.
    We who know Christ also know we should play by the rules given to us in God’s Word. We are to raise up our children using those very same rules as we apply Proverbs 22:6.
    To me, that’s where the Holy Spirit becomes God’s residing umpire in the the heart of every believer,always using those same rules to call each play.
    Where in the word of God does it say to bring up our children up in “the abject fear” of going to the movies, or dancing, and various other things.
    That’s not the Holy Spirit raising children God’s way, where we should always apply, 2 Corinthians 10:5.
    But, there are parents would want to be their children’s best friends instead of actually parenting. Then kids are raised like weeds without any pruning and parents are avioding the truth in the word about God’s discipline.
    But, that may be my way of using another extremme position to make a point.
    I am speaking from outside the batter’s box, as I wrongly chose abortion for the only child I would have had the opportunity to parent.
    Choose to sin, choose to suffer! Gary

Tracey, thanks for the discussion of Luke 11:41, on April 6, 10.30 am
    thank you very much for bringing up that verse, for some reason I must have forgotten it was there.
    Give of what you have, and all things will be clean.
    What a good theme to think about in light of this topic, we become clean by giving what is inside??
    God’s way is the way of love, of giving, of not taking for yourself, but of thinking others more highly then ourselves, (where is the scripture that says so?) That is God’s way.
    If we start looking what is in our hearts if we have to give to others, does the unclean first come out?

We become clean only through the blood of Christ, His cleansing blood.
    Is Christ willing to come to us when He first sees a notion in a heart to start to be outgoing to others?

Gary. I have always understood that raising children in they way they should go (Pro 22:6) is to know your child well enough to see what they are gifted in so that a parent can guide them to follow that gift. For instance if a child is good and enjoys math then presenting them with the direction of an engineer, accountant, or maybe even a chemist. I am saddened to hear you are carrying such a heavy burden concerning the abortion but God forgives all things. Give your burden to the Lord and he will help you carry that and forgive yourself.

You are right parents want to be a child’s best friend rather than parent and that does mess up a child when they need a parent. Teaching right from wrong is also part of the package but one does not need to criticize or judge to accomplish that. All that does is teach a child to be critical rather than looking for the good in him/her self and others. Even when they accept Christ they try and earn love rather than accepting it as a gift.

Yes,Pooh, God does not want us to earn His love. I think He is like us, we want our mate to love us from his heart, not do the things because they are the rules. God looks at out heart, do we really love Him? And loving Him should not be so difficult, as we realise how much He has loved us in laying down His life for saving us.
    (The one who is forgiven much loves much Luke 7:44,45,46,47)
    Is there much love in our hearts? Do we know that we are forgiven?

Thinking again over Luke 11:41, as Tracey wrote: God does not want us to live by rules, “I think Jesus is saying it isn’t enough to put on a show of how clean you are by how righteous, good and giving you are, but that you must also give what is inside of you. ”
    But He wants us to live out of the love of our hearts, and this love in us will grow as His love in us grows, that His love also becomes ours, our own unique utterance of our heart.
    If you read Luke 11:41 in the biblos site, there is the greek wording, it indeed says: “that what is inside” (it does not mention the poor)
    and everything will be clean for you:
    our vision over what is clean and unclean will alter if we start giving that which is in our heart.

34. tracey5tgbtg says:

Foreverblessed – you are right about giving what is inside of us. Thinking of Peter when he denied knowing Jesus three times. God knew what was in Peter’s heart, not what was in the words he proclaimed: “Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death.” Peter had to come to a point where he could see what was truly in his heart. Luke 22:62 Then Peter understood, he knew the forgiveness of God.

The fact that Peter’s failure is recorded in the Bible is like “alms” to us. It gives us hope that no matter how atrociously we fail we can be forgiven. In John 21:15 we can more clearly see the depth of Peter’s love because we know the things which he has overcome.

Back to the Pharisee, I think Jesus wanted him to bring to the light the hidden things in his heart, so that he could be forgiven.

35. oneg2dblu says:

pooh… thank you for your guidance on where to take our burdens.
    I do not carry the guilt of that horrific decision any longer, as that was the very weight that God used to break me years ago, when I was called to conviction by His Holy Spirit.
    Upon His yoke did I place my load and to this day He carries it for me as forgiven, and as now weightless upon Him as well.
    However, the result or consequences of making wrong choices must play out in the real world where we live.
    Choose to sin, choose to suffer is where none here avoid the laws of nature.
    So, to date I am not a worldly father/parent to any of my own seed or making.

If perhaps I had played by the rules set forth in the word of God, which I clearly abandoned, things in my life would be different today.
    Would I choose to not have suffered from my wrongly motivated actions which guided my life before coming to Christ?
    Certainly not now, as they brought with them their evil weight which was used by God to break my earthly vessel, allowing me to pour myself out upon his alter and flow into His Arms of Grace and Mercy.
    It is just one more reason why the willfully placed laws of man that daily rage against the laws of God are no longer embraced as a way of living by me.
    Let the law of the land have its day in court, and let it return to the land like the filthy dust from which it came,
    But, let the unchanged law of God stand forever, and find those who will return to it and Him, by being changed forever, and forever adopted into His family.
    It is like saying what the world tries to use against God, God will use for the good of those who will love, honor, and obey Him.
    It is the law of reaping and sowing to those in this world who “were sowing evil” at one time, being turned upside down and now found in Christ, in spite of what the world may have had in mind.
    The old things of the world pass away, the mind gets supernaturally renewed, the heart becomes softened to the things of God instead of the things of man, and the will becomes surrendered when Christ is both loved and obeyed.
    That makes all the difference…
    Gary

Gary,
    I am glad you have experienced the mercies and grace of our Lord. It would then be nice if that is what is preached rather than adherence to the law which saved no one but showed us that all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. When we realize that than for be it from us to then ask others to live by that law rather than the law of grace. If we have surrendered to Christ and the Holy Spirit the results will be seen as in Gal 5:22-23 and if do not find those characteristics in our lives then maybe we may look at how of much of us Christ has. I do not see pointing out sin in others in that list or calling others to live to the letter of the law when it is and was impossible for anyone except Jesus. As you stated, “that was the very weight that God used to break me years ago, when I was called to conviction by His Holy Spirit.” It is the Holy Spirit who convicts because only God has a way to heal after conviction so we need to step down from doing the Holy Spirit’s work because when we do it, it is called criticism, judgment and self righteousness.

37. oneg2dblu says:

Pooh… God did not use any exaggerated weight of perfection to break me.
    I certainly never look to absolute perfection in myself or others, not ever.
    I look only in changing what God wants to change in me and in others as well, according to His word.
    Are you saying that if the Holy Spirit convicts anyone to share the law of accountability, or the need to be living rightly, or living more Christ-like as defined in the word of God, that they should ignore it because it is not their calling?

Or because those who choose not receive it, will only see it as criticism, judgment and self righteousness?

Is it the Spirit or the flesh that we choose to serve when we choose to sin?

1 Corinthians 10:13 “No temptation has seized you accept what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But, when you are tempted, he will also provide you a way out so you can stand up under it.

That to me does not sound like we MUST sin!
    IMHO

I have never heard of the law of accountability and but I have read when we see a brother/sister in a sin to approach because we believe we will all give an account to God and with awareness of our own sin that it is done with care rather than conceit and with conviction rather than condemnation. That is usually done in a way that shows an honest concern and humility rather than pride as if we will never sin.

Obviously saying that anyone has ever insinuated we MUST sin is foolishness and shows immaturity. IMHO