Day in Day out

I’ve been thinking again about a section of the book of Numbers that we’ve looked at together in years past. But it always makes me smile.

It’s about how the LORD led his people— day in day out, as he protected and provided for them through the wilderness on their way to a Promised Land that most of them never got a chance to see.

What gets my smile also gets me wondering. Look again at the repetition in Numbers 9:15-23:

“On the day the tabernacle, the tent of the covenant law, was set up, the cloud covered it. From evening till morning the cloud above the tabernacle looked like fire. 16 That is how it continued to be; the cloud covered it, and at night it looked like fire.

17 Whenever the cloud lifted from above the tent, the Israelites set out; wherever the cloud settled, the Israelites encamped. 18 At the Lord’s command the Israelites set out, and at his command they encamped. As long as the cloud stayed over the tabernacle, they remained in camp.

19 When the cloud remained over the tabernacle a long time, the Israelites obeyed the Lord’s order and did not set out. 20 Sometimes the cloud was over the tabernacle only a few days; at the Lord’s command they would encamp, and then at his command they would set out.

21 Sometimes the cloud stayed only from evening till morning, and when it lifted in the morning, they set out. Whether by day or by night, whenever the cloud lifted, they set out. 22 Whether the cloud stayed over the tabernacle for two days or a month or a year, the Israelites would remain in camp and not set out; but when it lifted, they would set out. 23 At the Lord’s command they encamped, and at the Lord’s command they set out. They obeyed the Lord’s order, in accordance with his command through Moses.”

As people of the New Covenant, I’m wondering how this shows up when we replace Moses with Jesus. What is the repetition— day in and day out— that we find in him? What— in the Name of “God with us”— will enable us to sense the glory and wonder of what he wants to do in, with, and through us again today?

81 Responses to “Day in Day out”

I would think the repetition would be Jesus saying, “Follow Me”, “Learn from Me” or “Trust me” I can see the path that is before you and I know the way. Each day looking to God to direct my path. Faith seems to be a journey of letting go of my will, my direction and my way to be led to follow, learn and trust the only One who has seen what the future holds and it is His wings that I find shelter under, His motives are for a good, abundant life in a close relationship with Him. That in turn will impact my life day in and day out.

It would seem the difference in how Israel was lead and us now, they had an external reminder and ours is internal. I smile too because even though they could see with their eyes the Lord’s direction, it did not seem to change their hearts until Moses was replaced with Jesus to lead us out of captivity.

And like us even though we are lead out of captivity and are set free but how many like Israel long for what they had before and are afraid of letting go of the past to start anew. Odd isn’t it, to say the least?

Mart this is wonderful to think about, I love those connections between old and new covenant as far as Jesus is concerned. Thanks for helping me to see them in a new way. It broadens my faith in the Holy One we serve. It’s always been hard to serve a schizophrenic type god of course that’s my thinking living in a broken world. Broken world broken people broken God, right? Makes sense if your thinking is still broken. The goodness of God is so much more than we can begin to know, especially I think for those like me that are late bloomers in the faith and carry the effects of more sin than most even. But there’s always hope and a way through as shown in Exodus, even though the final promise may not be seen in my lifetime as neither did the Israelites. Waiting, trusting and obeying is good. We shall see then, but not always now.

I either have to quit writing too early or wait for the cloud to lift, whichever.

See it makes me smile too.

If only it were so easy to have a pillar of fire so easily seen to direct direction to move and a national leader telling you what God says to do.

In fact even though we have the Holy Spirit we too often argue against Him wanting to move in our own direction.

Of course the difference being we aren’t stoned to death for doing it. He allows us to err.

The truth is I hunger for that clear absolute understanding from God as what to do next. The truth is,though, next is too often a step out in faith a little unsure. Only when after time we see whether it the right choice or not and the hand of God on both.

Sometimes though the urging of the Holy Spirit is so intense that we step out boldly against what seems the smart thing to do in favor of His urging.

Experience will teach us that when that occurs, success is guaranteed.

Because we are His, we always have a choice day in and day out we make that choice of whether to cling, follow, learn, trust Him or not. How we start a day with Him in mind or everything else in the world. We can start the day my making a choice to pick up the newspaper or the book or songs of God. No one is ever forced to follow, that is a matter of what is more important to us which we chose. We ALWAYS have a choice or else we would be robots, puppets or drones and as such no requirement for a brain.

Good Morning Mart & Friends —

Have just been reading about the Israelites at the Red Sea. The pillar of cloud and fire positioned Himself between Pharaoh’s army and God’s people, not allowing them to be in contact.

There is wonder and glory in that!

We can lose touch with the awesomeness of our God. It seems to me that I can look back at chapters of my life that were hard to live through with fresh perspective given by the Holy Spirit. Only now can I see how Jesus shielded me from certain destruction — physical, mental and emotional.

There is great comfort in those memories. As you express in your closing paragraph, Mart, each day dawns with the potential to show us again and again the wonders of Christ’s kingdom.

And, if we are willing, we experience what Jesus has for us ultimately:

“Then I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, ‘Now the salvation, and the power, and the kingdom of our God and the authority of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren has been thrown down, he who accuses them before our God day and night.'” (Revelation 12:10)

7C/45F here. It has started raining and forgotten to stop!

Maru, don’t you come to the conclusion with those being lead through the wilderness that God was developing in them a trust and dependence on Him through that journey?

Just like our journey of faith we learn to trust and depend as we abide in Him. It does not seem like something that just happens all at once but by experience over all kinds of circumstances through time.

Interesting. I learned something new. I never thought of it as them learning dependence on God. I always saw it as Him punishing them. Interesting! Thank you.

This prayer I learned as a child and it seems just as relevant today because God can be just as mystifying as He has always been and there are times when I would like more clarity but God expects faithfulness now and the promise fulfilled later and I for one am in no position to argue.

Day by day,
    Dear Lord, of these three things, I pray
    To see Thee more clearly
    To follow Thee more nearly
    And to love Thee more dearly
    Day by day.

Maru thank you! Jesus is our Savior who “protects” us from the wrath of God.

So Jesus protects us from His own wrath?

thinking about a tangible cloud the israelis followed in the wilderness. what tangible evidence can we follow in our current wilderness? could it be a following of a narrow way of love joy and peace? could it be that love joy and peace motivated Christ in all He did? i can see why Jesus said all those who came before Him were liers and thieves. thinking of the one who visited man in garden of paradise and those who followed after him. then in God’s great mercy light entered the world through Jesus, the Christ. we have not been removed from the wilderness, but we have been shown the way. lets follow the Lord, the way, the truth, the life, in love joy and in peace that He gives. there is no other.

was thinking about the exodus the other day. how it mirrors the bride grooms return. except sin got in the way and lead to 40 years of wandering and 2000 year dispersal. when the Bride Groom returns there will be no wanderings, deviation, or setback, sin will have been dealt with. the conquest will be completed. the 1000 years are really interesting in the fact that God releases satan one more time. it seems even satan is accomplishing God’s will. it’s just that we need to come to Christ, to unveil His Will and the schemes of the devil.

Ezekiel 33:14-20
    “‘On the other hand, if I tell a wicked person, “You’ll die for your wicked life,” and he repents of his sin and starts living a righteous and just life—being generous to the down-and-out, restoring what he had stolen, cultivating life-nourishing ways that don’t hurt others—he’ll live. He won’t die. None of his sins will be kept on the books. He’s doing what’s right, living a good life. He’ll live.
    17-19 “‘Your people say, “The Master’s way isn’t fair.” But it’s the way they’re living that isn’t fair. When good people turn back from living good lives and plunge into sin, they’ll die for it. And when a wicked person turns away from his wicked life and starts living a just and righteous life, he’ll come alive.

20 “‘Still, you keep on saying, “The Master’s way isn’t fair.” We’ll see, Israel. I’ll decide on each of you exactly according to how you live.’”

Emanuel life.

In the days of the tangible did that make the people any more able to believe and trust even after seeing? No! People saw great wonders and miracles yet they still rebelled. There will always be those who trust in God and those who don’t. Out of the 12 spies, 10 did not trust God and 2 did. They all saw and experienced the same things.

Let God have His way, and know His peace, as all else will fail into comparison when I am trusting Him.

Walk with me Lord; walk with me
    Walk with me Lord; walk with me
    While I’m on this tedious journey Lord
    Walk with me dear Lord walk with me

Hold my hand Lord; please hold my hand
    Hold my hand Lord; hold, hold my hand
    While I’m on this tedious journey Lord
    You gotta hold my hand, hold my hand Lord

Walk with me Lord; walk with me
    Walk with me Lord; walk with me
    While I’m on this tedious journey Lord
    Walk with me dear Lord walk with me

Don’t leave me alone Lord, don’t leave me
    Don’t leave me alone Lord you said you wouldn’t leave me
    While I’m on this journey Lord
    Don’t leave me alone, Oh Lord don’t leave me alone

steve said,”This subject has the abstract ability to look at whether or not we really ever have a choice in life’s pathway, once we become His. ”

seems to me the tree of the knowledge of good and evil give you a choice. the tree of life, well it’s a tree of life.
    if you look closer to the tree of life James 1:17
    Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 18 He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.
    no duplicity. conformed to the image of His Son. thinking of the body with many parts, one.

John 6:27-29

27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”

28 Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”

29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37 Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. 38 Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”

Matthew 20:4
    He told them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.’

John 4:38
    I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor.”

John 6:27

John 4:34
    “My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.

28 Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”

30 So they asked him, “What sign then will you give that we may see it and believe you? What will you do? 31 Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written: ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat.’[c]”

32 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”

34 “Sir,” they said, “always give us this bread.”

35 Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. 36 But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. 37 All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. 38 For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

43 “Stop grumbling among yourselves,”

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Jesus

The Israelite’s wandered in the desert for another forty years because of the choice they made not to follow or trust God. It was not punishment because He just allowed them to do what they wanted which did not include trusting God yet God never left them alone. Our choices have consequences and God does not seem to force Himself on anyone.

1 John 4:18
    There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.

1 Timothy 1:5
    But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.

Matthew 5:8
    “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

2 Timothy 2:22
    Now flee from youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.

Hebrews 10:21-23

What is the repetition— day in and day out— that we find in him?

day in day out, as he protected and provided for them through the wilderness

Street, you gave a lot of scriptures to study!

Is that to say: we have a scripture, day in day out?

But thanks for giving them! I choose for the Tree of Life, that is : living out of faith in Jesus, following Him, always my eyes on Him,
    That is like the Israelites, they had their eyes on the cloud, if it moved, they moved.

So for me the cloud stands for Jesus.

The scripture that comes to mind, when thinking of moving when the cloud moves:

And with your feet fitted with the readiness
    that comes from the gospel of peace.
    Ephesians 6:15

The Old Testament reference would be:
    How beautiful on the mountains are the feetof those who bring good news,
    who proclaim good tidings,
    who proclaim Salvation

Romans 10:15 says, how can they preach unless they are sent?

I see the days of the Israelites following the cloud, as training time.
    Disciplining time
    Living according to the New man in Christ,
    and killing the old man!

So that our preaching will not be mingled with the old man, when we are treated bay, when we are accused, that we lash back controlled by our old man.

Then we have not learned to be self-controlled, disciplined.

1 Cor 9:27
    Hebrews 12:4

This is all done With Jesus, in His power, in faith!
    That He has provided us with everything we need 2 Peter 1:3-11 ( I am still studying this, Beloved!)

And Hebrews qoute ends with these marvellous words:

Therefore strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees

” Make level paths for your FEET”

Hebrews 12:13

I just came in from plowing off the hill and streets around me, as well as shoveling off the walkways and feeding the critters.

I do this day in and day out.

I woke this morning at 3 am wide awake and watched the clock until Matt began to stir around 3:30 am.

I got up got things started for him to get up at 4:20 and once he was up I got his breakfast to him and then settled in.

I then went about my morning task, as stated this morning it was dealing with snow.

These are things I do day in and day out.

In fact as the day progresses it is a repeat of everyday.

I am not going to go into why’s concerning the nation of Israel in the wilderness, Mart has ask what it means to me today as a Christian “to sense the glory and wonder of what He wants to do in, with, and through us again today.”

Even though it is difficult for some to realize, but you as a Christian are right where God wants you and you are to show Him in all you do “Day in and Day Out”.

Yes street I believe that once you are His your life is no longer yours and many of your choices taken from you.

I know you think you should be doing more. Bigger more grand things, but you are right where He wants you, the only choice you have is to obey or as Paul said “kick against the pricks (thorns)” in disobedience. Ultimately His will, will be done. If not through and by you, He will raise up another.

That is if it is His will to do that, otherwise His will eventually will be done through you.

Do whatever it is you do with all of your heart and energies. God has put you where you are. And most importantly always show Jesus in all that you do.

Otherwise you are just making noise and spinning in circles…Day in and Day Out.

21 degrees and flurries.

When we are treated badly
    ( not bay, sorry, auto correct)
    Then we learn to say NO, to our old inclinations, and look to Jesus
    ASK love from Him!

Thank you Bubbles, for your glorying God, for the beautiful sceneries
    Lovely mountains, hills.
    I do not want to be envious, I try to see the beauty in the clouds, more grey less grey…
    Yesterday was the warmest January 24 ever! 14,4 ‘C
    We had some night frost last weekend, so it is not that was all the time.
    But where are our cold winters, ice skating?

I agree, Steve, God is the greatest Director on the world stage and we are His. I learned from my dad who went with God that obedience is the key to walking well with God.

It won’t change God’s will being done on this earth if I, in my disobedience, go against God, because He has the upper hand, and can choose another, and ‘yes’ he may choose an unbeliever if it gets me to see the error of my ways.

God wants results and I am either ‘with Him’ or ‘against Him’ and my dad being the wise man that he was choose to be ‘with Him’.

My dad knew God in that he knew God doesn’t do sides i.e catholic, protestant, black, white, Irish, American but that it was my choice to be on His side and idealist or not my dad did not get God wrong.

Jesus loves the little children
    All the children of the world
    Pretty yellow black and white
    They are precious in his sight
    Jesus loves the little children of the world

Everything is beautiful
    In its own way
    Like a starry summer night
    On a snow covered winter’s day

And everybody’s beautiful
    In their own way
    Under God’s heaven
    The world is gonna find a way

There is none so blind
    As he who will not see
    We must not close our minds
    We must let our thoughts be free

For every hours that passes by
    You know the world gets a little bit older
    Its time to realize that peoples lies
    In the eyes of the beholder

And everything is beautiful
    In its own way
    Like a starry summer night
    On a snow covered winter’s day, ah sing it children

And everybody’s beautiful
    in their own way
    Under God’s heaven
    The world’s gonna find a way

We shouldn’t care about the length of his hair
    Or the colour of his skin
    Don’t worry what shows from without
    But the love that lies within

We’re gonna get old again now
    Everything is gonna work out fine
    Just take a little time to the calm good side my friend
    And spittle it out in your mind

And everything is beautiful
    In it’s own way
    Like a starry summer night
    On a snow covered winter’s day, ah sing it children

And everybody’s beautiful
    In their own way
    Under God’s heaven
    The worlds’ gonna find a way, one more time

Everything is beautiful
    In its own way
    Like a starry summer night
    On a snow covered winter’s day

“What is the repetition— day in and day out— that we find in him?”

Jesus said, “Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me. Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.” John 5:4-5 NLT

“When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is what was sown along the path. 20 As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy, 21 yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while, and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately he falls away. 22 As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful. 23 As for what was sown on good soil, this is the one who hears the word and understands it. He indeed bears fruit and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty.” Matt 13:19-23 NLT

Remaining in Christ is a daily repetition-day in and day out- a conscience choice to have an intimate relationship with Him. Then each day we face can be new, new lessons, a chance for faith to grow and new mercies but if we do not remain in Him we may not even know we need new mercies everyday because we are totally unaware nor are we aware of our need for Him because we think we can go it alone to do the same old things everyday- day in and day out- no newness just drudgery.

Can you imagine having a relationship with someone that you never spend time with, it would not be very much of a relationship now would it?

God holds our hand Pooh, we are His children, He is the parent holding on to us and as a parent myself I know my children are very different and so God knows His children are very different i.e. my dad was a follower who gripped tightly to God’s hand in that he was an obedience child and stayed close to God’s ways.

Then there is myself who has a tendency to let go of His hand i.e. the rebellious/headstrong child who thinks they know better until they start running into danger and then they go running back to Daddy and there he is waiting patiently and He grips their hand being the faithful parent that He is waiting on them to see the folly of their ways in light of the truth that His ways is best.

Good Morning All —

Yes, Pooh, we learn by what we experience (it seems to me) as Jesus’ faithfulness repeated day in and day out.

But, if I have understood the character of our God better over the years, what I take to be separate instances of His faithfulness are rather His eternal, constant faithful nature. I catch glimpses of that faithfulness time after time.

It is I, swimming like a fish through water, who see things in time. I do not escape time in this life.

For God it is all the same eternity. In the resurrection I believe I will see from the eternal perspective. For now, trusting Him is the best I can manage.

Joy all day,

4C/39F here and, guess what, still raining! This is winter on the Pacific Coast of N. America.

14,4 ‘ C
    9/5x C + 32= 54’ Fahrenheit
    That was yesterday, today is cooler,
    10.7 C, 51F

Jeff, today you talk about your dad, being idealistic.
    Yesterday, you talked about your mom being realistic.

Last night my mom talked to me about a family member, James will always be James ( just picking a name here)

-James will always be James-

It felt to me as something wrong to say. As if inside me something shriveled. That is the Life of Christ.

Would Jesus think the same about me.
    Rita will always be Rita?

It felt sooo wrong!

I know why my mom said this: As if to say: Do not expect changes in somebody else!

Expecting changes, like demanding it from them is also wrong

But, the opposite: NOT expecting changes is just as a downer too!

It is like saying:
    God, I can pray about James as much as I can, but You cannot come close to his heart.

You can train him whatever You will, but You cannot change James.

If God would have thought that about Israel, He would never have walked with them in the wilderness. And never have given them a cloud.

God lives in our heart through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. He gives us what we need to be set apart for Himself. Rather than being a mobile Tabernacle tent that moves when the cloud moves, we are the Tabernacle now. Romans 5:2,5; 1 Cor 3:16

forever, what I hear your mom saying is to accept James for himself and that we can not even change ourselves so why expect that we can change others. Only God can change hearts and minds when we try we just push them away. Jesus accepted us just as we are.

“Just As I Am” Hymn

Just as I am, without one plea,
    But that Thy blood was shed for me,
    And that Thou bid’st me come to Thee,
    O Lamb of God, I come! I come!
    Just as I am, and waiting not
    To rid my soul of one dark blot;
    To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,
    O Lamb of God, I come, I come!
    Just as I am, though tossed about
    With many a conflict, many a doubt;
    Fightings within, and fears without,
    O Lamb of God, I come, I come!
    Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
    Sight, riches, healing of the mind;
    Yes, all I need, in Thee to find,
    O Lamb of God, I come, I come!
    Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
    Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
    Because Thy promise I believe,
    O Lamb of God, I come, I come!
    Just as I am, Thy love unknown
    Has broken every barrier down;
    Now, to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,
    O Lamb of God, I come, I come!

Viv, I am glad you are satisfied with God holding your hand but I want more than that, we can always let go of someone holding our hand but to have God living within us is the more I want.

Forever, my dad knew God better and my mum knew human beings better.

The problem for my dad was that my mum was right about people while my dad only seen the good in people my mum knew better.

Sadly, my dad trusted people who were not trustworthy while my mum could read people like a book and when I look back I can see my mum’s instincts were right.

There is no doubt in my mind that my dad was closer to God and that was down to him being disciplined himself in knowing God.

My mum, however, was more aware of how this world worked and the people in it. She was what I would call street wise. Instinctively she knew whom to trust and whom not to and it was uncanny how right she would be in her observations.

We are talking of a woman who had to learn to survive in a hostile environment as it was back then to an illegitimate child.

God has many different children on this earth, Forever, some are like James, innocent and likely to remain so.
    Idealistic, like my dad and only sees good in others because he was brought up to believe that way. Realistic like my mum who because of a mum’s instinct sees things as they are in the cold light of day.

We have all kinds of people in this world and only those who are seeking God are finding Him and so it is a minefield out there in finding those who are close to God and those who are not.

Wisdom tells me to do what my dad did but I am so much more like my mum who was to headstrong for her own good but she knew human nature and if she were alive today I would be much more likely to listen to her judgements on whom I could trust and whom I could not trust than I would my dad because the truth is he was much too nice for this world.

Pooh, It is God who decides when to reside and when not to as He sees fit and He is the best judge of that not you or I.

Hi all.

I’m reading The Holiness of God by R C Sproul who just went to be with the LORD a few weeks ago. Mart and street may have known him. Powerful book. I bring it up because I just learned that in theological terms the pillar and cloud are called heirophany, which is an outward manifestation of God- a sacred space between heaven and Earth. I can understand how the Israelites were mesmerized into following God. Once you’ve seen God or even experienced the manifestations of His power you’re never the same. As I get older I’d forgotten some heirophonies God has used to lead me throughout my life with Him since being born from above. What a blessing to recall those times and makes the future less bleak as my body ages too quickly for me. And what a blessing to read how our ancestors walked with God because they had hope for a better future with God, rather than without Him. Abraham was blessed greatly by God for his obedience, may we all be blessed as well knowing we have the promised Messiah Emmanuel leading the Way, and that we can know Him personally, simply by asking. We are heirs of Christ as also Abraham’s children of promise if we hold fast to our first profession of faith.
    World without end, Amen.

The difference between “God with us” and “God in us” is Jesus. Paul said Christ in us is our hope of glory.

Thank you, Beloved, that was lovely and I did not know what heirophonies was until now but I know I have felt God’s presence and been overwhelmed which is as you say a blessing to remember when those moments are less memorable.

God is always with us and that is what matters, we can loose sight of Him, but He doesn’t loose sight of His children.

You may ask me how I know my Lord is real (my Lord is real)
    You may doubt the things I say and doubt the way I feel (the way I feel)
    But I know he’s real today he’ll always be (he’ll always be)
    I can feel his hand in mine and that’s enough for me

I will never walk alone he holds my hand (he holds my hand)
    He will guide each step I take
    And if I fall I’ll know he’ll understand
    Till the day he tells me why he loves me so (he loves me so)
    I can feel his hand in mine and that’s enough for me

I will never walk alone he holds my hand (he holds my hand)
    He will guide each step I take
    And if I fall I know he’ll understand
    Till the day he tells me why he loves me so (he loves me so)
    I can feel his hand in mine
    That’s all I need to know
    I can feel His hand in mine
    That’s all I need to know

Sorry Viv but God does tell us how He resides in us and it does have to do with us coming to believe and trust in Him. We have to open the door of our heart for Him to enter. So I will believe what it says in the bible not what you think!

beloved said,”simply by asking.”
    asking for directions and an obedient grateful heart.
    faith too. spending time with Him, with your questions and request hopes and struggles. He calls us friends. all could benefit from this friendship.

Once we ask, He reveals Himself to us. But we do have to ask Jesus to be our savior and believe He is the propitiation for sin. Once and forevermore. The heirophony experiences ended after a few years, He had to teach me to follow, trust and be obedient to His call on my life. I’ve learned He is so close, closer than anyone I can know on earth. Sometimes I forget He’s there, if that makes sense at all!! I think its because He’s so quiet. And sometimes the Holy Spirit has been rummaging around my heart and found something I’m ashamed of. So I have to remember, again, it’s ok, He’s forgiving, forgiven and even forgotten what haunts me. It’s an uneasy walk sometimes, but He’s always patiently waiting for me, always. Always.

Viv, do you believe that Jesus paid the price for your sins? Do you believe you are forgiven? Have you asked Jesus to be your personal Savior and let Him into your heart, life and soul?

Jesus wants you to know Him, as He knows you.

sometimes the discipline of His love grace and mercy hurt more than anything. He paid my ransom even though He knew me completely before hand. blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, they will be satisfied.

Psalm 89:14
    Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; love and faithfulness go before you.

adam and eve wanted to be like God and were willing to die for it. if they had obeyed they would have become like Him since they were made in His image. now God commands us to trust Him. in away like we trusted the devil and found out he was a lier and thief.
    deny yourself take up your cross and follow Jesus daily. learning to walk. learning to love.

Dear friend Viv you talk a lot about your father’s faith and the good as well as the problems it caused with your mother. You need to develop your own faith walk apart from your father’s. It’s an individual, personal walk with God building new memories and being renewed by His Spirit. Changed because of Jesus’ blood alone. I’m praying for you. There is a freedom Christ brings that is beyond our understanding. I pray you accept Christ and enter into the promised Land of God. Love, Joyce

Thank you street. I wanted to add that all the early “experiences” I had with God showed me how sinful, weak and undeserving of God’s love and mercy I was. Grace is a truly amazing thing. No shouting glory hallelujah but have mercy on me a sinner. The shouting came along later though. And mostly now when I recognize how much I need Him as troubles come by every day.

What is the cloud in my day, now?

Hearing God whispering to me:

You are my beloved child
    My shadow hangs over you
    In your going in and in your going out I am with you.

I guide you into truth, deeper and deeper.

If I hear no commands, I just do my daily chores, praising God, and blessing every person that comes to mind!

And then I am NOT thinking: they will never change,
    NO, the Word of God tells me there is always HOPE.
    Godly hopen!

1 Cor 13:7

Today I am praying for that sports doctor. Praying fit his soul. And I am praying for his victims, that they may not get imprisoned in revenge.

Jesus has taken up all our guild. And He repairs everything we have done wrong. So it is for this man too!
    If we could only grasp that truth!

We have been forgiven!
    We do not have to worry about past sins, if we have confessed them!

The Cross of Christ:

The Great Exchange

We give our failures, sins, weaknesses
    to Jesus!

He takes them up on the Cross, and dies to them.
    They are gone, as far as east is from the west.

But….
    then we ask Jesus to fill us with His qualities:
    Love, Joy, peace, WTC

Yes, the Great Exchange!

Living in the Tree of LIFE

Jesus LIFE

Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, gentleness and self-control!

WTC = etc

Good morning Jeff, and Steve!

I bought some beef from Ireland this week, and thought of you! Hold on to the Truth of Jesus!

What— in the Name of “God with us”— will enable us to sense the glory and wonder of what he wants to do in, with, and through us again today? It is not a cloud covering but the covering of the Holy Spirit in us, working through us and totally with us inside and out, day in and day out. It is a personal intimate relationship with God not compared to anyone else, just me and God that takes daily nurturing and communication.

Any relationship takes work from both sides and that is between two persons. When a third party comes in it is no longer an intimate relationship between two people which has to be primary before community(with others) can work. Our relationship with God has to be primary, I guess I should not say, “it has to be” but rather a primary desire of our heart.

Then when we have a relationship with others it is sort of like a triangle. At both bottom corners are the two people then on the top of the triangle is God. The closer each person gets to God the closer they will get to each other.

I wish I knew how to draw that on the computer, sort of like /_\

I know, Christ, enters my heart but He doesn’t stay there, Beloved, I, get in the way of Him staying there because I am weak while you are right I speak a lot of my dad because I look back and see now that Jesus stayed in my dad’s heart because my dad had the gentleness that my mum and I didn’t have so I know God won’t reside with me but that does not mean I don’t believe Christ died for a sinner like me.

I trust, God, Beloved, it is people I have trouble trusting because I have seen too much hatred and violence since I was 15 (I’m 63) and it’s still in our society i.e. the violence has eased but you only have to listen to people talking to hear the hatred and mistrust is still there.

Jesus said “do not make this world your home” and the more I see of how weak the flesh is the more I understand why.

You, Beloved, see the good in people even when it is not there and so did my dad but my mum was right people aren’t worthy of trust because they always let you down and these days I trust those whose words and behaviour are worthy rather than what they tell me they believe or what church they go to.

An English soldier once said to me when he was hurting over his comrades that we had plenty of churches and chapels here but he didn’t see very many Christians proving that that there is a lot more to Christianity than meets the eye.

I am damaged goods, Beloved, as most in this country are because you don’t have 30 years of bombs and bullets without consequences and mine is a disturbed mind which finds it hard to focus long enough on anything these days other than one day at a time.

God has put some very dear and genuine people in my life and they are the ones I think of as being ‘Christ like’ even though not all of them would have seen themselves as being so.

It’s a strange world or it is to me anyway and I have given up trying to understand people as they rarely say what they mean or mean what they say so trusting God is not difficult when you are in my head.

God bless you Viv, hold on tight to what you know.

You are right in not trusting everyone, as we are warned of “wolves in sheep’s clothing”.

Always we kind and gentle to others, but let your “conscience” be your guide. Whereas the Holy Spirit bears witness of Himself and Christ, He also exposes false Christians and false Christ’s.

You do fine Viv, no one else needs to be telling you what to think or how to live except our Lord, and it sounds to me that you know Him well.

I too am damaged goods Viv, which is why I also need the blood of Christ to cover me.

I guess I have never read that God exposes false Christians but He does however expose false teaching. Christians are on different levels of maturity and God told us that because we can not see into someone’s heart we may be wrong in what we judge as a Christian and that kind of work is up to God who knows the heart since it is God we follow not other Christians. Read what Jesus taught about the weeds growing with the grain in Matt 13:24-30 NLT which fully explains that it is not our job to weed out what we see or think are Christians and those who are not. BUT we are given scripture to identify false teaching and are severely warned of those wolves dressed in sheep’s clothing because they are not teaching what is true and have self gratifying and self elevation motives behind it, in others words they want praise and to be elevated to places of honor when only God has the right to put people in places of honor meanwhile He has put those who follow Him in the role of servants. Luke 14:10-11 NLT

I am learning, Steve, be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. That’s how my dad was but Jesus is right this world does not understand or see His ways because it is alien to them.

I understand, Steve, we are all damaged some more than others and it is why we hold each other up as God intended because there are always those who will tear us down given the chance to and they don’t have to be committed atheists to do that from what I am seeing and hearing.

Your words tell me you’re a lot like my dad, Steve, as he was kind and gentle in spirit and it came naturally to him because he stayed close to God.

Lead me oh Lord, won’t you lead me
    I am tired and I need Thy strength and power
    To guide me over my darkest hour
    For just open my eyes that I may see
    Lead me oh Lord, won’t you lead me

Lead me, guide me along the way
    For if you lead me I cannot stray
    Or just open my eyes that I may see
    Lead me oh Lord, won’t you lead me
    I am lost if you take your hand from me
    I am blind without Thy light to see

Lord just always let me Thy servant be
    Lead me oh Lord, won’t you lead me
    Lead me, guide me along the way
    For if you lead me I cannot stray
    Lord just open my eyes that I may see
    Lead me oh Lord, won’t you lead me

Matt 16:15 Then he asked them, “But who do you say I am?”

16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah,[b] the Son of the living God.”

17 Jesus replied, “You are blessed, Simon son of John,[c] because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being. 18 Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’),[d] and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell[e] will not conquer it.

Good day all! I am thinking about the differences between myth, superstition and Truth. Truth is Jesus as we all know. Joseph Campbell called Jesus myth- a nice story that somehow shapes the way we perceive the world, I believe. Superstition carries all the nuances of fear and distrust I’m also thinking. So in our day in day out living what shapes or defines our lives here today? We all do make a choice I believe as to how we live our short lives here, but without divine intervention as in the wanderings in the Exodus what is our purpose? Many different religions and ideologies can give us options for how to live. But following Messiah is the only way to get out of this world unscathed. And fully prepared for the next. Our broken hearts minds bodies will be completely changed in an instant. Just think, in an instant! Meanwhile we serve and live how God wants us to, with sacrificial love, kindness and mercy with grace received.

Yes Joyce the very nature of superstitions is fear born from ignorance which is the definition. But we can do that too by not growing in our knowledge of God then some will go on myths or superstition as well which often just harms growing in our closeness with and clinging to God.

Some just seem satisfied with salvation, that also happens in marriages too. Being married is enough and often the couple never intimately knows each other, they know some of the outward things but never learn about the down deep inside secret places, desires or share their very souls with each other. That seems to happen in those type of relationships when one is over controlling, so the other never shares their inner parts because if they differ from the controlling one that rocks the boat and they do not want to rock the boat.

Viv you mentioned Jesus doesn’t seem to stay. Jesus promises He will never leave nor forsake us. With damaged hearts/minds it’s easy to think we’ve been abandoned or even deceived because of our distrust. When someone asks me if I truly love and know Christ my hackles are fired up, then I remember Jesus asking Peter 3 times no less, “Do you love me”! It’s good to be jolted back to our eternal perspective when the world and our sick hearts have gotten us down. God’s love pierces to the very marrow of our bones, and it’s like being hit with a stun gun or bolt of lightening. His love shakes us to the core of our very being. Aslan said, “He’s not safe, but He’s good”. He’s no fluffy teddy bear but He’s kind and loving to all His creatures.

Pooh I was once in a marriage as you describe. The more I as the weak one gave over control to God the more the boat was rocked! Things got worse as far as the marriage went but I grew in grace immensely from the experience. He was eventually humbled to the point of wanting to know God himself, but when asked to turn his life over to Christ he refused. So so sad to me still.

So then you know how hard it was to have an intimate relationship with him, so married in name only. But God wants us to have an intimate relationship with Him! Most associate intimate with something sexual but that is not what is meant by intimate, it is rather a closeness or oneness.

God knows us intimately and there is nothing within us that can separate us from His love and He also wants us to know Him intimately.

No we had great intimacy but that all changed when Christ came into my life. He was jealous of God and believed only he should have all my affection. He even hid my Bible and told me to denounce God, it was him or God but not both. I was actually quite content being controlled. It was God who showed me I was free to love from choice not demand. But I only learned that by putting God first and foremost. The spiritual gulf between us could only be bridged by Christ in mutual agreement.

Can you have an intimate relationship with someone who controls you and does not allow you to be you? NOT that I know of.

Luke 9:62

The repetition of the day in and day out with Christ is what keeps us from looking behind. Fitness demands our complete love and trust in Christ and His kingdom.

Yes, Beloved, I am getting more and more confident that Jesus doesn’t want to leave me but that it is me knowing I am not worthy that keeps pushing Him out and why I am saying ‘I keep getting in the way and in my head I am exhausted trying because it just seems too hard for me to do’.

Dying with Jesus, by death reckoned mine;
    Living with Jesus, a new life divine;
    Looking to Jesus till glory doth shine,
    Moment by moment, Oh Lord, I am Thine.

Moment by moment I’m kept in His love;
    Moment by moment I’ve life from above;
    Looking to Jesus till glory doth shine;
    Moment by moment, Oh Lord, I am Thine.

Never a trial that He is not there,
    Never a burden that He doth not bear,
    Never a sorrow that He doth not share,
    Moment by moment I’m under His care.

Never a heartache, and never a groan,
    Never a teardrop and never a moan;
    Never a danger but there on the throne,
    Moment by moment He thinks of His own.

Never a weakness that He doth not feel,
    Never a sickness that He cannot heal;
    Moment by moment, in woe or in weal,
    Jesus, my Saviour, abides with me still.

Viv surrendering is the most selfless thing we can do. He knows we have nothing to offer Him. He knows how hopelessly lost we are. That’s why He died for our worthless selves. New life in Christ is truly new different and full of promise!

Great song Viv.

74. narrowpathseeker says:

As always Steve, your Wisdom keeps the light shining on the darkness. I think we try so hard to keep focused on the gifts of Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Self Control…..that we tend to think that we are not suppose to heed His warnings. I may not remember scripture word for word nor do I claim to have read it over and over, but I get the gist of the warnings and WHY He gave them.

We are also told that Satan roams around like a roaring lion seeking someone to devour, but He also said that Satan will come as an angel of light and deceive many….that even the very elect would deceived if it was at all possible.

If we can’t recognize a wolf in sheep’s clothing, how will we recognize satan as an angel of light? From what I get out of scripture… satan is the father of lies, he is a glory hound..he is sneaky and wants to be God…top dog… so when I see somebody like that claiming to be a Christian…I recognize them as a wolf in sheep’s clothing… I pray that the Lord continues give us the gift of Discernment so that we can also recognize satan when he comes.

Acts 1:7-9
    7 He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority; 8 but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.”
    Isaiah 6:3
    And one called out to another and said, “Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord of hosts, The whole earth is full of His glory.”

witnesses of Christ and of the Glory that surrounds us.

34 Then the cloud covered the tent of meeting, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. 35 Moses was not able to enter the tent of meeting because the cloud had settled on it, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. 36 Throughout all their journeys whenever the cloud was taken up from over the tabernacle, the sons of Israel would set out; 37 but if the cloud was not taken up, then they did not set out until the day when it was taken up. 38 For throughout all their journeys, the cloud of the Lord was on the tabernacle by day, and there was fire in it by night, in the sight of all the house of Israel.

7 When Solomon finished praying, fire came down from heaven and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices, and the glory of the Lord filled the temple. 2 The priests could not enter the temple of the Lord because the glory of the Lord filled it. 3 When all the Israelites saw the fire coming down and the glory of the Lord above the temple, they knelt on the pavement with their faces to the ground, and they worshiped and gave thanks to the Lord, saying,

“He is good;
    his love endures forever.”

Hebrews 3:11
    As I swore in My wrath, ‘They shall not enter My rest.’”
    Hebrews 3:19
    So we see that they were not able to enter because of unbelief.
    Hebrews 4:11
    Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience.
    Hebrews 9:11
    But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things to come, He entered through the greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this creation;
    Hebrews 9:12
    and not through the blood of goats and calves, but through His own blood, He entered the holy place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.

19 Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful;

thinking about this rest and faith. to not be in it is to return to law and all that comes with it. not a good place to be. this faith in Christ is quite remarkable and extraordinary because of the God Who gives freely. walking with Him would be a joy. not so much with all people. i have to admit i have enjoyed the company of some immensely. the common denominator was God.

Pooh’s post 26 Jan 10.54 am

Some just seem satisfied with Salvation.

I am thinking I spent my younger life trying so hard to win God’s favour and falling short and then I learned that God accepted me as I am warts and all and at first I could not believe this as in my head I had to obey God’s commands which was to me what learning the 10 commandments was all about and I learned them in Sunday School when I was a child.

You hit the nail on the head Street, return to law and all that comes with it, not a good place to be. The struggle is in my head when it comes to how I please God and obedience is my stumbling block because while I cannot do it perfectly I cannot get it out of my head that it is what pleases God.

To know I have God’s Salvation because of what ‘Jesus’ has done is all the peace I need and when it comes to ‘oneness’ with God I am assured He will keep His promise so that in ‘Jesus’ I am complete.

It’s ‘I’ who separates me from God so when I start thinking of blaming others then is the time to focus my thoughts on ‘Jesus’ because He knows best as to why I am the way I am and accepts me like that because He will clean up my act and all I have to do is agree that it needs cleaning up so it seems to me that if it were not for ‘Jesus’ I would be confined to hell and when I realize that I am very content to be among the ‘SOME WHO ARE JUST SATISFIED WITH SALVATION’ as it is what I have been seeking and failing to get all my life.

I’m not sure I have the time nor energy to finish this, but I will start.

Mart asks “when we replace Moses with Jesus”, in his last paragraph leading to how it is we sense God in our day to day living, our repletion.

The character of Moses is just like many of us, in that we ran from God’s plan for us, but Moses found out you can’t out run God. And if we ever grow up and learn for ourselves we also learn that we can’t run from God forever.

Equally Moses could do nothing special, it was never Moses who performed a single miracle, and it was always God who did so.

Moses was simply the man through whom God used to accomplish His will.

The cloud that led the Israelites was God’s doing, Moses also an Israelite was also led by that same manifestation of the hand of God.

The observed and witnessed hand of God upon the Hebrew nation was done so that there was no denying it a supernatural event only God could accomplish and done so well that even the enemies of Israel could not deny that the God of Israel was indeed God.

In my simple observation of things there just is no way I can “replace Moses with Jesus”, but there are plenty of people who try to be like Moses; thinking they speak for God and leading others through the wilderness without that cloud or pillar to accurately show them the way.

What we should have in us is that cloud, that pillar of fire, the manifestation of God in the Person of the Holy Spirit.

He came at Pentecost to the Christian Church, to the body of believers so as to replace an outward physical apparition with the indwelling of Himself.

“God with us” should now be *God in us*.

If God is in us His light will shine out from us, His fruit will show forth from us, we become the reflection of our Creator.

We become that cloud that the Israelite’s needed to direct their day to day movements, now to the rest of the world in order to show them the way.

We are to show the way.

20 degrees mixture of stars and clouds.

80. tedmgossard says:

Interesting, Mart. It’s surely a communal matter, as well as individual. So that for me, it might be with reference to how the church is to live out its faith in the gospel through scripture and the Spirit in the present day, and in any day, but I’m thinking of some of the difficult issues we face now. You have those who push against the status quo, saying that in some way we’re missing something important. My mind happens to be on this right now, because I’m undergoing a kind of personal revolution, right at the beginning of it, and I’m not comfortable because I’m not sure precisely where I’ll land, and change is often uncomfortable. But for me, what I take away from this intriguing post, is that somehow we’re all in this together. Yes, you have the prophets and people of special wisdom out there, who sometimes seem like lonely voices in the wildereness. But for me, the idea of what we do as new covenant people in Jesus (rather than in Moses, which I think is an apt distinction you make-1 Cor 10) in following God’s leading is to keep going back to scripture, and see how God is leading the church as a whole. There might be splinter groups running off here and there on some tangents. But at the same time leaving room for those churches which might be breaking new ground for the church at large to end up learning from and incorporating. Yes, yesterday was a turning point for me. But I’m not in this alone, but with all others in Jesus. Thanks, Mart.

As people of the New Covenant, I’m wondering how this shows up when we replace Moses with Jesus. What is the repetition— day in and day out— that we find in him? What— in the Name of “God with us”— will enable us to sense the glory and wonder of what he wants to do in, with, and through us again today?

Exodus 6:7
    I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God, who brought you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians.

2 My son, if you accept my words
    and store up my commands within you,
    turning your ear to wisdom
    and applying your heart to understanding—
    indeed, if you call out for insight
    and cry aloud for understanding,
    and if you look for it as for silver
    and search for it as for hidden treasure,
    then you will understand the fear of the Lord
    and find the knowledge of God.
    For the Lord gives wisdom;
    from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.

For the sins of their mouths,
    for the words of their lips,
    let them be caught in their pride.
    For the curses and lies they utter,
    consume them in your wrath,
    consume them till they are no more.
    Then it will be known to the ends of the earth
    that God rules over Jacob.

learning about God, learning to Love God, learning to speak correctly. thinking of a time we shall all know God. when all these things happen to you will know God. thinking about every tongue confessing Jesus is LORD. to confess is to know. packard speaks of “knowing God”, Jesus speaks of loving God.

21 “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

John 14:22-24
    22 Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?”
    23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our “home” with them. 24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

John 6:28-30
    28 Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”