Something in Everything

When you know what to look for, you see it everywhere.

An exaggeration to make a point?

Yes or no, the idea implies its opposite.

The author of the 136th Psalm seems captured by the thought.

26 times in 26 verses he says things like— To him who led his people through the wilderness; His love endures forever (Psa 26:16).

Some Bible translations read,  “His mercy endures forever”.

As many of us have learned over the years, the Hebrew word expresses thoughts of a many-sidedness of layered mercy, goodness, kindness, and faithfulness.

As we think about this song, though, we might bump into a problem that shows up in the middle.

The lyrics of the first nine verses express thoughts that could be true for anyone. But at verse 10, the song evolves into a self-centered nationalistic celebration— seen through the eyes of Jewish history. Only at verse 25, does the author return to everyone and everywhere when he says, “He gives food to every creature. His love endures forever.”(Psa 26:25)

So what are we to make of such repetition? Does it really illustrate the idea that when you know what to look for— you see it everywhere? Is there something for everyone here—or not?

Seems to me that the love, kindness, mercy, goodness and faithfulness that is clear in the beginning of the song—and in the first few pages of Genesis— becomes inexpressibly hard to see… until we get to the part of the story where the God who loves the whole world so much that his Son dies on the Eve of a Jewish Passover…

One for all and everything.

When we know what to look for… we see it everywhere.

99 Responses to “Something in Everything”

More years ago than I want to try and remember now, a writer and teacher at Fairmont State Teachers College had his opinion published in the college newspaper. He suggested we are all, God. Each one of us are our own “god”.

A friend who had children attending at the time approached me to write an article in rebuttal and I did.

When I read Psalms 136:1-26 I read it from the point of an author writing to an Israeli audience. While proclaiming God’s mercy also reminding them of His omnipotent power in having His will accomplished.

In as far as a Israeli view of National pride, I am also reminded not to let my own pride get in the way of God’s work and will in all the earth.

Also reminding me that Christianity is something of a sect of Judaism. As in the conclusion that when we accept Jesus as Lord and Savior we also adopt all of the Scripture language that produced and brought Christ into our lives.

I wholeheartedly also accept the fact that accepting life as we are forced to live it sometimes makes us wonder where that mercy is.

But as Mart has expressed so well “when we know what to look for we see it everywhere.” I have also said for quite a while that “whatever it is we look for is what we find”.

I find a God who is in control of all events and chooses according to His will and desires. And I have learned that we are not God.

29 degrees and expecting snow soon.

I do not see the middle as a “self-centered nationalistic celebration” of the Jewish history but as a character description of God by remembering the historical experiences of the Jews interacting with God and yes those could be applied even today maybe not the same circumstances but with the same God who never changes. The same someone in everything, the one who shows “many-sidedness of layered mercy, goodness, kindness, and faithfulness”.

But you are right we now see it through the lenses of the Cross so we see it looking backward or in hindsight of what the author of Psalm 136 was saying in his time. The same God just different circumstances so “When you know what to look for, you see it everywhere.”. In my life I see the “many-sidedness of layered mercy, goodness, kindness, and faithfulness” maybe not the experiences of the Jewish Nation but in the experiences of my everyday life. I have learned what look for when my eyes were opened.

Even though the fig trees have no blossoms,
    and there are no grapes on the vines;
    even though the olive crop fails,
    and the fields lie empty and barren;
    even though the flocks die in the fields,
    and the cattle barns are empty,
    yet I will rejoice in the Lord!
    I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!
    The Sovereign Lord is my strength!
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer,
    able to tread upon the heights. Habakkuk 3:17-19 NLT

Each of us certainly see God differently but I think that is because I don’t keep fixed on Jesus and when I run into difficulty.

I say that because I look at the difference in my dad’s walk and mine and I see a big difference and I know now that it was because my dad fixed his sight on Jesus and not on scripture.

His expectations were that suffering would be a part of his life and why would it not be since Jesus suffered.

He suffered as much as most people do in their lifetime but it never changed his attitude because he was walking in the light of the truth rather than listening to the superstitions or beliefs of his cultures of his time.

A gift from God as it is rare to find someone with such a take on life.

I spent my younger life being influenced by my mum who filled my head with superstitions and my dad would always tell me not to listen because he knew my mum did not have his teaching or Christian upbringing and believed what she was telling me was true.

After my mother died I grew closer to my dad and discovered he was very much a man who walked the walk as he knew God much better than others I had known who proclaimed to.

While I was playing God he was following God and so he taught me the difference in doing God’s will and being in ignorance of it.

It was him that taught me that God’s way is the better way as he was unpretentious in his life and took life as it came without complaining and I am finding that a rare virtue today or maybe it is just that I have stopped hoping to find it.

Whereas I have already stated, in my opinion, we Christians are a (branch) sect of Judaism. I am reminded as such we are “adopted” into the family and so the promises given to Abraham and his descendants.

Believing that enables me to feel (understand) that the blessings promised to Israel are also promises to us as well.

I am also reminded that when we accept Jesus as Lord we accept and believe our “salvation”, the forgiveness for our sins, both things we did knowing them to be sins and things we did not.

When we get to that point of seeing what lay ahead for us beyond here and now we already know we are not chosen for destruction. Our eternal future is bright and promising. And why? Because God’s mercies endure forever.

There with their back against the sea and the Egyptian army bearing down on them the Hebrew people thought for that moment that they were doomed. However exactly at the right time God showed up and while the pillars of fire held the Egyptian’s at bay God parted the Red Sea and the Hebrew’s walked across the sea on dry land to the safety of the other side.

The trap set, when the pillars of fire abated, amazingly the Egyptian army, undaunted by those pillars of fire that held them back, pursued the Hebrew to their own doom.

They had not seen God in the fire, all they had seen was their prey now in the open; and their lack of vision drown them in their pursuit to thwart God’s plans.

Pray that God opens your eyes to see Him in everything.

I admit its difficult to see Jesus in the OT aside from a very few pointed references. That’s what I’m working on now. (Thanks Mart) The repetition of the psalm reminds me of the somewhat ‘self’ centeredness of some of the modern day troubadors. Not all though. We sang a new to me song in church yesterday that made me mindful of biblical psalms, yet ended with ‘Jesus’, reminding me of the hidden message of the ancients now revealed in these last days.

Still growing in grace. Thank you Jesus.

To him who led his people through the wilderness; His love endures forever (Psa 26:16).

To Jesus who led His people through the wilderness; His love endures Forever.

this same Jesus who speaks a blessing on His followers like the High in the temple did it for nothing. we meant it for evil but He meant it for good. We receive a blessing when it could never be expected or imagined because of what He has done on our behalf for His great love in which He loved us.

The ancient mountains crumbled
    and the age-old hills collapsed—
    but he marches on forever.

John 17:5
    Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.

John 17:22
    [ Their Future Glory ] The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one;

Street I’m not understanding this.

we meant it for evil but He meant it for good.

We meant the blessing for evil? Do you mean like to curse others instead of bless?

in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

Street lest you think I’m being ficitious I’ve been tested and my comprehension is at about 85 percent probably from being dropped on my head as a baby, literally. Mom told me dad like to throw me up over his head and laughing let me fall to the floor. Oh I know God has allowed me to live and I’m so blessed. I have to read and study more than a lot of people but managed to make the dean’s list in college, once, but gave that goal up later for sanities sake, lol. Now I’m old and tired but still love to learn, thank you for being here, you bless me greatly.

we meant it for evil but He meant it for good.

when we disobeyed God our relationship dies. what we did is the opposite of God’s will. yet God changes not. we changed into something else in order to be God which we are not. it’s like Herord, condemning John the Baptist, and Pilot, condemning Jesus, condemning others to justify themselves, a self righteousness caused by deception even though they did not want to. Joseph understood the circumstance and suffering where brought by God’s hand in order to save His family and a people for God. yes his brothers meant it for evil and suffered the consequences of their action with guilt, shame and lose. but Joseph was given back to them with a blessing. fear not.

Our prayer for Holy Communion confesses how it is not about our righteousness or our worthiness.

These are not just words to me as I struggle in this world and when I take communion I feel strengthened in pleasing God as it reminds me I am cleansed by the blood of Jesus whatever my weaknesses.

We do not presume to come to this thy Table, O merciful Lord,
    trusting in our own righteousness but in thy manifold and great mercies. We are not worthy so much as to the gather up the crumbs under thy Table. But thou art the same Lord, whose nature is always to have mercy: Grant us therefore, gracious Lord, so to eat the flesh of thy dear Son Jesus Christ, and to drink his blood, that our sinful bodies may be made clean by his body, and our souls washed through his most precious blood, and that he may evermore dwell in him, and he in us. Amen.

to him who struck down the firstborn of Egypt……

to him who divided the Red Sea asunder……

to him who led his people through the wilderness……

to him who struck down great kings…….

and gave their land as an inheritance…….

an inheritance to his servant Israel.

as i look at these verses i see a strong king of deception who held that which God loved. as the story unfolds we see a rescuer/deliver enter the picture. an unseen hand behind the scene but a strong and powerful presents. we also see a presents looting the deceivers house. for what purpose? we also see the deceivers influence played out before our eyes too in these verses.

“Cursed are you above all livestock
    and all wild animals!
    You will crawl on your belly
    and you will eat dust
    all the days of your life.
    And I will put enmity
    between you and the woman,
    and between your offspring and hers;
    he will crush your head,
    and you will strike his heel.”

His love endures forever
    His mercy endures forever

graciously granted a new headship. blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God.

pure in heart
    it is not when i am holy or righteous when i see God best. it is when i see myself, as i truly am, a wretch
    Jesus is close to wretch’s because they are closer to the truth than the righteous. Jesus gives wretches hope! He gives us what we need freely and without cost. His yoke is lighter but not as difficult as the former. difficulties, yes. remember He overcame the world and a mountain of sin and lives forever. thinking of the guy who let go of everything to gain a field with a great treasure hidden in it.

Isaiah 65:1
    [ A Rebellious People ] “I permitted Myself to be sought by those who did not ask for Me; I permitted Myself to be found by those who did not seek Me. I said, ‘Here am I, here am I,’ To a nation which did not call on My name.

Ruth 1:16
    But Ruth said, “Do not urge me to leave you or turn back from following you; for where you go, I will go, and where you lodge, I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God.

Esther 7:4
    for we have been sold, I and my people, to be destroyed, to be killed and to be annihilated. Now if we had only been sold as slaves, men and women, I would have remained silent, for the trouble would not be commensurate with the annoyance to the king.”

Hosea 2:23
    “I will sow her for Myself in the land. I will also have compassion on her who had not obtained compassion, And I will say to those who were not My people, ‘You are My people!’ And they will say, ‘You are my God!’”

16. narrowpathseeker says:

Are we to be looking for signs of Jesus’ return? I am looking for something else but I see the signs we were given for the end, everywhere. What I am looking for is the strength, courage, and determination to rise above myself and become a good example of a Christian, so I can be ready and help others get ready for that day. I am afraid that I have accepted too much of the ways of the world as being OK. Lord have mercy on us all.

dear narrow Oswald Chambers deals with some of the issues you brought up today. watching and waiting too.
    nothing to boast in, but Jesus.

God always works through us when we are unaware of it. but i do think we are aware of His presents. when we are not aware of His presents i think there are two ways He gets our attention a still small voice with drama or the reverse. oh the walk on the road to Emmaus. how things quickly change after walking with Him. even then He went ahead of them. to be followed and looked to daily. the pursuer of love and the discovery of joy.

Sorry that was facetious not ficitious@12:43. Like you just said street, I knew God was going to lead me today and did He ever! Thank you

My Jesus, my Saviour
    Lord there is none like You
    All of my days I want to praise
    The wonders of Your mighty love
    My comfort, my shelter
    Tower of refuge and strength
    Let every breath, all that I am
    Never cease to worship You
    Shout to the Lord all the Earth, let us sing
    Power and majesty, praise to the King
    Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
    At the sound of Your name
    I sing for joy at the work of Your hand
    Forever I’ll love You, forever I’ll stand
    Nothing compares to the promise I have
    In You

When you know what to look for, you see it everywhere.
    sometimes when i look for things, i don’t know why, but they can be right in front of me and i not see them till some one points it out. a time for thankfulness and humility. seems i did not have time for it prior to and i doubt that i thank the person properly and just felt embarrassed. the promise of a helper is one of the greatest promises Jesus ever gave. getting to know this helper is a challenge for me. we are told He will do three things for us. thinking it will be easier when we deny ourselves take up our cross daily and follow Jesus. to do this with dirty feet and the assistance of a helper. ambassadors in a foreign kingdom. i like the idea of plundering this kingdom that is passing away. to be captive to Christ, life and not death. looking for life.

When you really stop and think about the big picture and what is really most important in this life, and then study the Bible to see where all of our priorities should be set at in this life – there is one special message and revelation that comes jumping off all the pages of the Bible.

This one special message and revelation is that God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and His Holy Spirit are looking to establish and make a direct, one-on-one, intimate, personal relationship with each person He has created.

For God the Father to go to such an extreme and painful length to get all of us back to Himself shows us only one possible thing – and that one thing is how much our God really, truly, and unconditionally loves each man and each woman He has ever created.

There is no way that God the Father is going to send down and sacrifice His one and only Son on a cross if He did not have some kind of special, maximum intense, passionate, jealous, all-consuming type of fire love for each person He has ever created.

So when we become aware of this we can see it in everything and after studying the Bible from start to finish, I believe there is one main reason why the Lord has gone to such extreme and painful lengths to bring all of us back to Himself – and that one main reason is for intimate fellowship.

I believe the main reason that God created the first man and the first woman was for intimate fellowship. And God was not only wanting intimate fellowship with Adam and Eve, but He was also going to want it with every man and woman that would follow after them.

We can see that in everything if we really are looking.

God is now waiting with wide and open arms for all of us to approach Him. And what exactly is God waiting for?

Intimate fellowship, intimate prayer and communication, intimate dialogue and conversations about anything and everything, and intimate sharing of our most personal, private, and secret thoughts.

Bottom line – God is looking for seekers! God is looking for those who will not be afraid to try and establish a one-on-one, personal, on-fire, passionate, intense, and willing to tell-all and share-all love relationship with Him.

God is looking for a maximum intense kind of personal relationship with no holds barred. He is looking for on-fire and passionate people who will try and tear into Him, who will try and take a hold of Him, and who will try to understand Him and all of His ways.

Now that seems to be the “Something in Everything”!!!

Fight the good fight With all thy might;
    Christ is thy Strength and Christ thy Right.
    Lay hold on life, and it shall be
    Thy joy and crown eternally.

Run the straight race Thro’ God’s good grace;
    Lift up thine eyes and seek His face.
    Life with its way before us lies;
    Christ is the Path and Christ the Prize.

Cast care aside; Upon thy Guide
    Lean, and His mercy will provide;
    Lean and the trusting soul shall prove
    Christ is its Life and Christ its Love.

Faint not nor fear, His arms are near;
    He changeth not, and thou art dear.
    Only believe, and thou shalt see
    That Christ is All in all to thee.

Malachi 3:6 King James Version (KJV)
    6 For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

God asks me to trust Him in a world that is no longer seeking Him and it is in Jesus Name I am secure in my relationship irrespective of my weaknesses past/present/future.

Lead me to the Rock

Oh! Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I
    Lead me to the Rock and there let me lie
    Safe and protected, sheltered and dry
    Cradled in Your arms as the waves crash nearby

I can’t stand on my own anymore
    I’m losing sight of the distant shore
    I need help from the One I adore
    I cry out from my very heart’s core

Stability is so hard to find
    My body’s weak, confusion in mind
    Looking in wrong places, peace to find
    Desperate to escape, to unwind

Please lead me to the Rock
    Lead me to the Rock
    Lead me to the Rock called Jesus
    Lead me to the Rock
    Lead me to the Rock
    Lead me to the Rock called Jesus

My fading eyesight wanders away
    Dark waters close in with each new day
    The sun has lost its warm healing ray
    Lord, I’m so sorry, I’ll kneel and pray

My Father, without you, I am lost
    I know how much for Your Son, it cost
    It cost Him, cost You ’cause I was lost
    You’re my Rock, forever, At all cost

Oh! lead me to the Rock that is higher than I
    Lead me to the Rock and there let me lie
    Safe and protected, sheltered and dry
    Cradled in Your arms as the waves crash nearby

Oh! lead me to the Rock
    Lead me to the Rock
    Lead me to the Rock called Jesus
    Lead me to the Rock
    Lead me to the Rock
    Lead me to the Rock called Jesus

Oh! Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I
    Lead me to the Rock and there let me lie
    Safe and protected, sheltered and dry
    Cradled in Your arms as the waves crash nearby

Something in Everything
    was thinking of a relay race this morning. people are will to pass off the baton to their friends, spouses, co-workers,charity, country or cause. Jesus took notice of this and spoke of it, when people receive each other. in a relay race there are rules to be followed in order to win the price. sounds like defeat already dosen’t it? thinking if i give the baton to Jesus the race is a sure thing. being prideful, i was thinking was there any condition i could attach to the baton to make it better? that creeped me out because to add conditions was to not to give the baton to Jesus, but keep control. in this race of rules, after the baton is passed no strings attached, Jesus says to follow Him. thinking, i just ran as far and as fast as i could and i am tired and thirsty my mussels hurt all over. what will you do?

When you know what to look for, you see it everywhere.

When you know WHO to look for you see HIM everywhere.

Ephesians 1
    17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the [w]knowledge of Him. 18 I pray that the eyes of your heart [x]may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the [y]saints, 19 and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might 20 which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22 And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, 23 which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.

All things in subjection, the fullness of Him, fills all in all.

Captured, under command, complete. The everything of Something. Oh its wonderful being a part of Jesus’s kingdom!

But if God himself has taken up residence in your life, you can hardly be thinking more of yourself than of him. Anyone, of course, who has not welcomed this invisible but clearly present God, the Spirit of Christ, won’t know what we’re talking about. But for you who welcome him, in whom he dwells—even though you still experience all the limitations of sin—you yourself experience life on God’s terms. It stands to reason, doesn’t it, that if the alive-and-present God who raised Jesus from the dead moves into your life, he’ll do the same thing in you that he did in Jesus, bringing you alive to himself? When God lives and breathes in you (and he does, as surely as he did in Jesus), you are delivered from that dead life. With his Spirit living in you, your body will be as alive as Christ’s!

Alive to Christ yet dead to sin. Do not let sin reign in your mortal bodies. I bear in my body the marks of the LORD Jesus Christ. Yet, again, we are more than conquerors in Him. Street I like your analogy of passing the baton. With dirty feet.

No one can ever be good enough or clean enough if Christ died for sinners. (And we know He did because scripture tells us He did.)

street, with your baton passing example I see Jesus passing the baton to us so that we can pass the baton of His love and grace to others, so that all can finish the race together. “Something in Everything”

Something in Everything
    21 “No one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment; otherwise the patch pulls away from it, the new from the old, and a worse tear results. 22 No one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the wine will burst the skins, and the wine is lost and the skins as well; but one puts new wine into fresh wineskins.”

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.

14 But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15 For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. 16 And those who will walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.

i think you are right steve that Christianity is a sect of Judaism.

Judaism and Christianity are as different as the law and grace.

grace, creation, came first then the law. just as the law was kept by faith in hope, we too are kept by faith in hope in the law of Christ, Word made Flesh. Emmanuel

new Headship in Christ. the self-centerness is done away with. we take up a cross daily to counter the flesh we remain in. it’s influence are still active. Paul spoke of dying daily. i can see why living by love instead of the letter could be do able, not by flesh but by a new Spirit. in order to love there must be light and opportunity. to walk in darkness precludes any possibility to love. yet God is not hindered by any of this. thinking of the entire Old Testament here.

Matthew 7:11
    If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!

39. narrowpathseeker says:

Street. thank you…I will try to check it out…in what book?

Judaism just like any other religion is lived out in the flesh and by the flesh while Christianity is a relationship with the Father through the son with the guidance of the Spirit, it is all relational.

John 17:19-23 NLT And I give myself as a holy sacrifice for them so they can be made holy by your truth.

20 “I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. 21 I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.

22 “I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. 23 I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me.

When we know what to look for, we see it everywhere.

Eph. 6:12 the struggle against sin is real, as is the reality of holiness. The fullness of God that fills everything. Death first then comes life.

Sunday I sat behind a couple we’ve been praying for about 2 years now as he struggles with cancer. There must have been a leak in his colostomy bag and my first thought was, well, at least it’s not me this time, lol. But then suddenly I pictured Jesus on the cross. I know what happens when a body dies. The sweet smell of death enraptured me. Not pleasant but common to all men and Jesus God and man. Sweet because of the threshold it leads to, eternal life! You get what you look for, comes to mind.

Something in Everything
    Isaiah 52:14-15
    Just as many were astonished at you, My people,
    So His appearance was marred more than any man
    And His form more than the sons of men.
    Thus He will sprinkle many nations,
    Kings will shut their mouths on account of Him;
    For what had not been told them they will see,
    And what they had not heard they will understand.

Romans 11:31-33

31 so these also now have been disobedient, that because of the mercy shown to you they also may now be shown mercy. 32 For God has shut up all in disobedience so that He may show mercy to all.

33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways!

dear narrow the Chambers reference was for the devotional on the Our Daily Bread site posted daily. in the upper left corner, ODB page, the word Daily is a drop down menu for devotionals. His is the one, My Utmost for His Highest. there is a calendar too to go back to the day in question on his page. no book to buy or check out. sometimes he is hard for me to understand, but most of the time there are bread crumbs to find. i have to put a disclaimer here. devotionals are nice and a great tool, but they can not replace the Spirit or the Word we have been entrusted with. God bless you with Himself. on a side note the devotional can be very long and they break it up over a couple of days. so if you look at one day the day before and after might be connected to it. as mart has shown us in this blog When you know what to look for, you see it everywhere. Something in Everything

Somebody cares and always will,
    The world forgets but God loves you still,
    You cannot go beyond His Love
    No matter what you’re guilty of-
    For God forgives until the end,
    He is your faithful, loyal friend,
    And though you try to hide your face
    There is no shelter any place
    That can escape His watchful eye,
    For on the earth and in the sky
    He’s ever present and always there
    To take you in His tender care
    And bind the wounds and mend the breaks
    When all the world around forsakes…
    Somebody cares and loves you still
    And God is the Someone who always will.

God is stability in an ever changing world as His ways stand the test of time as His ways are love, kindness, mercy, goodness, faithfulness.

Just close your eyes
    There’s always one door
    that is open to you-
    And that is the door
    to “The House of Prayer”
    And you’ll find God waiting
    to meet you there,
    And “The House of Prayer”
    is no farther away
    Then the quiet spot
    where you kneel and pray-
    For the heart is a temple
    when God is there
    As we place ourselves
    in His loving care,
    And He hears every prayer
    and answers each one
    When we pray in His name
    “Thy Will be done”-
    And the burdens that seemed
    too heavy to bear
    Are lifted away
    on “the wings of prayer.”

“Something in Everything”, “When you know what to look for…we see it everywhere.”

It struck me this morning about how God seen something in every person He used in Scripture and still to this day uses for His purposes.

Something of a mystery is what it was that made Enoch so special that God just “took” him? Interesting that Enoch lived 365 years, just how many days are in a year.

From Noah up through John (the Baptist) God seen something special in each of His prophets, some even before they were born. To my knowledge not a single prophet failed in his duty to God.

Elijah being taken up to heaven similarly as Enoch for some future use of God.

Balaam who was not an Israelite was thought of by reginal peoples to be a prophet because of his divination and performative acts, was as far as I have been able to ascertain was never called by God to be a prophet, only used by God in defiance of Israel’s enemies.

As I think more about it, every single Bible character in all of the story possessed something special in them that God knew He could expound on and use for His work.

Even for some showing their darker character not only in His use, but as a lesson for us all.

That is God, but people/mankind is warned about what we see/observe.

Eve it is said looked upon the forbidden fruit and seen it was “pleasant to the eyes”. How many things do we look upon and see “pleasant to the eyes”?

Which may bring me to the point of “knowing what to look for”. Such an action will expose our heart.

Do we see the hand of God in all the things in our lives? Or do we see injustice and struggle leading to disillusionment and despair?

Yes what we look for is what we find. Yes there is injustice and life is a struggle, but God is also there we need to look for Him there in all of life as well.

We need to be thankful for what we do have and see/realize that God’s mercies endure forever in our lives as well.

I have pondered enough for the morning, 21 degrees and cloudy this morning. We have had 29 ½ inches of snow these first 14 days of March. I hope the end of March will prove to be more “spring like”.

In my personal life I have seen the hand of God but it is in the guerrilla war of this country that I have found it difficult to see Him.

My mother said it was the worst type of warfare and she was not wrong.

The war started for me in 1969 but my mum remembered the history of Ireland’s hatred of the English going back long before I was born.

The 1969 troubles came to an end in 1998 but those who took part in the campaign have not give up what they see as their right to a United Ireland anymore than those from my community who wish to remain in the United Kingdom.

There is stalemate in our country because division in both religion and culture have not gone away because the bombs and bullets have. If anything the effects of the war caused more division and hatred resulting in another generation living in turmoil.

I have learned from this that living in the past is not healthy as that is what is happening in our communities here.

While I try very hard not to pass on my negative feelings to my children and so do most right thinking parents I am also aware that there are those in both communities who are feeding their’s with hatred.

In this world we will have tribulation but Jesus has overcome the world.

My dad always had the right expectations and why he was better than anyone I know at doing adversity because he took it literally that troubles and struggles would be part of the course which means my dad lived in the real world while I did not.

Jesus and His disciples lived in the real world and it was not a pretty one and so if I am following His ways then why should mine be any different.

My dad’s favourite artist was Jim Reeves and so when I went out in the car with him I was serenaded with his songs and this one stands out in my mind today.

This world is not my home I’m just a passing through
    My treasures are laid out somewhere beyond the blue
    The angels beckon me form heaven’s open door
    And I can’t feel at home in this world anymore
    Oh Lord you know I have no friend like you
    if heaven’s not my home then Lord what will I do
    The angels beckon me from heaven’s open door
    And I can’t feel at home in this world anymore

I have a loving mother just over in gloryland
    And I don’t expect to stop until I shake her hand
    She’s waiting now for me in heaven’s open door
    And I can’t feel at home in this world anymore
    Oh Lord you know I have no friend like you
    if heaven’s not my home Then Lord what will I do

The angels beckon me From heaven’s open door
    And I can’t feel at home in this world anymore

Just over in gloryland
    We’ll live eternally
    The saints on every hand are shouting victory

Their songs of sweetest praise
    Drift back from heaven’s shore
    And I can’t feel at home in this world anymore

Oh Lord you know I have no friend like you
    If heaven’s not my home Then Lord what will I do

The angels beckon me from heaven’s open door
    And I can’t feel at home in this world anymore

This morning we had clear skies and I did enjoy seeing that as I fed the critters, but exactly at 8 am the sky clouded over and it began to snow again.

Yes life can make us feel like a pretzel twisted one way then another.

Viv the American Civil War ended April 9 1865, or so it seems. Though the fighting stopped none of the sentiment has ended the divisions in people.

I look at the Balkan countries and I see extreme hatred and divisions among its peoples and neighbors. Especially between Christian and Muslim.

I look at Africa and see countries continually in some state of civil or tribal warfare.

The list goes on and what is it I see?

The need for Jesus Christ throughout all the world and my prayer is for His return and an end to all the hatred.

Be at peace Viv, you are greatly loved by the Creator of all things.

While I am thinking about it and have a few minutes I am reminded of one of our nation’s finest acts of forgiveness and mercy.

After a merciless and bloody campaign of killing each other during the American Civil War, when General Lee, Commanding General of the Confederate Armies, surrendered to General Grant, Commanding General of the Union at the Appomattox Courthouse in Virginia, General Grant simply told Lee to tell his men to lay down their arms and go home. The war and the fighting were over. To let the healing begin.

I am certain Grant had his orders from President Lincoln as Lincoln wanted the nation to just go back to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

His kindness was returned by an assassination from men who knew nothing of mercy, grace or for that matter, honor.

People today want to change history and have forgotten the mercy and forgiveness given at Appomattox.

I heard one of our old Senators say yesterday that in her life in 1st though 12th grade there was no such thing as school shootings but if I was able to ask her some questions I would ask, “did you have prayer and bible reading in school then?” the answer would have been yes. So what I see now or in many other troubled times and the condition of people’s hearts is the absence of God and the place people have made the choice not to include God. But I also know that most media or news organizations only dig to report the bad things in this world when there are so many good things happening around the world but people often would rather focus on the bad parts. It seems when people focus on all the troubles and horrible things happening it causes one’s heart to become bitter, resentful, filled with hate, pessimistism and have a loss of hope.

As a community of believers we are offered a better way to look at things with a trust in God knowing that things could be worse than they are but we are given the ability to see the good, the right, the pure, the just and the noble things that are worthy of praise, gratitude and thankfulness.

Which reminds me of the song “Trust His Heart”

All things work for our good
    Though sometimes we don’t see
    How they could
    Struggles that break our hearts in two
    Sometimes blind us to the truth
    Our Father knows what’s best for us
    His ways are not our own
    So when your pathway grows dim
    And you just don’t see Him,
    Remember you’re never alone

God is too wise to be mistaken
    God is too good to be unkind
    So when you don’t understand
    When don’t see His plan
    When you can’t trace His hand
    Trust His Heart
    Trust His Heart

He sees the master plan
    And he holds our future in His hand,
    So don’t live as those who have no hope,
    All our hope is found in Him
    We see the present clearly
    But He sees the first and the last
    And like a tapestry He’s weaving you and me,
    To someday be just like Him

God is too wise to be mistaken
    God is too good to be unkind
    So when you don’t understand
    When don’t see His plan
    When you can’t trace His hand
    Trust His Heart

He alone is faithful and true
    He alone knows what is best for you
    God is too wise to be mistaken
    God is too good to be unkind
    So when you don’t understand
    When don’t see His plan
    When you can’t trace His hand
    Trust His Heart

When you don’t understand
    When you don’t see His plan
    When you can’t trace His hand
    Trust His Heart
    Trust His Heart

Steve and Viv this fits what you are talking about it’s from John Piper this morning.

The Triumph Is Sure
    Therefore strong peoples will glorify you; cities of ruthless nations will fear you. (Isaiah 25:3)

Isaiah sees the day coming when all the nations — representatives from all the people groups — will no longer be at odds with Yahweh, the God of Israel and his Messiah, whom we know to be Jesus.

They will no longer worship Bel or Nebo or Molech or Allah or Buddha or utopian social programs or capitalistic growth possibilities or ancestors or animistic spirits. Instead they will come in faith to the banquet on God’s mountain.

And they will have the veil of sorrow removed and death shall be swallowed up and the reproach of God’s people will be removed and tears shall be gone forever.

That’s the setting for understanding the vision of verse 3: “Therefore strong peoples will glorify you; cities of ruthless nations will fear you.” In other words God is stronger than the “strong people” and he is so powerful and so gracious that in the end he will turn ruthless nations to revere him.

So the picture Isaiah gives us is one of all nations turned to God in worship, a great banquet for all the peoples, the removal of all suffering and grief and reproach from the nations who have become his people, and the final putting away of death forever.

This triumph is sure because God is doing it. Therefore we can be certain of it.

Not one life spent in the cause of world evangelization is spent in vain. Not one prayer or one dollar or one sermon or one letter of encouragement mailed or one little light shining in some dark place — nothing in the cause of the advancing kingdom is in vain.

The triumph is sure.

This song is on my heart today.

10,000 Reasons
    Bless the Lord oh my soul
    Oh my soul
    Worship His Holy name
    Sing like never before
    Oh my soul
    I’ll worship Your Holy name
    The sun comes up
    It’s a new day dawning
    It’s time to sing Your song again
    Whatever may pass
    And whatever lies before me
    Let me be singing
    Worship His Holy name
    Sing like never before
    Oh my soul
    I’ll worship Your Holy name
    Bless You Lord
    And on that day
    When my strength is failing
    The end draws near
    I’ll worship Your Holy name
    Sing like never before
    Oh my soul
    I’ll worship Your Holy name
    Jesus I will worship Your Holy name
    Worship Your Holy name.

It makes me sad Steve because we go to war in the pursuit of peace only to find that it brings more misery than peace.

I have given up finding peace in this world, Steve, as my dad fought in the 2nd WW, I lived through the war here and my son fought in the Afghanistan war and so it goes on because man’s way is not God’s way and these wars are proof of that.

I can know God’s presence when I am seeking Him but the reality of this world is that hatred is as strong a force as love and until this world sees the wrong in that then how can we feel God’s presence in it.

The need for Jesus throughout the world is seen by those of us who are seeking Him.

My fear is for those who are not, as Satan, as too big a hold on this earth for my liking but then it’s God’s plan and not mine and so Steve prayer is what is required for hope to be regained and prayer does work because it gives us time to re-evaluate and God does something and I get a glimpse of Him working in the midst of my disappointments and I am strengthened again in knowing His presence is never far away.

You are such a calming influence, Steve, just like my dad was, I am so much more like my mother and I can remember us saying my poor dad had a lot to listen to when he had all of us to contend with.

You have stability and strength which was what my dad had and it speaks to me of staying power and I wish I had more of it but then when I think of the Biblical characters that you spoke of and how God used them and so with God anything is possible!

the picture fits

Dear street I have to tell you that the verses you shared @ street says:
    March 12, 2018 at 3:12 pm brought such healing for me. The cry of my heart for years is that I didn’t feel I belonged in church, didn’t feel good as everyone else. I cried and cried, the release and relief the Holy Spirit brought to me were truly palpable. So much so that I’ve had no PTS symptoms since that day, in church or other groups I’ve been in. Was able to take communion feeling as I really was part of the Body of Christ, and not just an orphan waiting for crumbs of grace every day. This is a very big deal for me. I don’t know you at all, but the Spirit is truly involved in the fellowship of believers. Everyone seeking finds what they are looking for. From the lowest to the highest He died for all. Seek, ask, find. Amen and thank you Street for listening and obeying our Father.

Joyce, that reminds me of the animation film:
    Little drummer boy.
    You might look it up on you tube, it is quite long. I am talking about the end, where the narrator says:
    “Blessed are the pure in heart.”

When I read these bible verses Street posted on March 14, 12.34 pm

For a moment to me it was SO clear: Everybody will see.

For that whole day I was so thrilled; God is going to save everybody in the end!

Now when I read it in my own bible, Isa 52:15…..well:

“So He will sprinkle many nations”

now I think, it does not say: All nations.

But yet, in Romans 12:32: He may show mercy to all

To me Psalm 136 is very very much a Psalm about God who always and always will remain merciful!

There is no end to His mercy! I do believe that. maybe at some time there will be people who will go to hell, not because God’s mercy is at an end, but because these people need it, to come to their senses. And they will be there as long as it takes to come to their senses.

God’s love is endless just as His mercy.

No end to His love, whatever we do does not change His love for us.

We are practicing a new song: Reckless love.

Jeff, and Joyce I will post some more, but this is not for you, you are doing fine in your walk with Jesus, learning to surrender to Him, everyday a little bit more.
    So do not worry, nor fear for the love of God is driving out fear!

But I want to tell about my reservations about that song: Reckless Love

But I have some reservations with the words, and I feel quilty about having these reservations.

it is not a matter of God who will not love us any longer, that is not the point, but it is our own heart who may become numb to the urgings of the Holy Spirit, and that state is where Jesus is talking about: sin against the Holy Spirit.
    (Gary would talk about this stuff a lot, I know that there is a point where there is surety: We are always Jesus’ children, and nobody can take us out of His hands, nothing can take us out of His loving embrace)

Please, Jeff and Joyce, this has nothing to do with you, you are saved and following the Spirit, strugling, but always striving to follow Him. It has only to do with faith in Jesus: Believe in Him that you are righteous in His sight. Pure in heart.

So bringing up this matter of: The sins against the Holy Spirit, is something sooo delicate, many who are walking with Jesus, feebly, but yet walking, will think: Oh, this is about me!

We are warned not to quench the Spirit. If you are worried that you have quenched the Spirit, you for sure haven’t. (Billy Graham)

But this point for me is a very very stern warning not to push anybody to accept Jesus, until their time is ready. So as not to have them accept Jesus too early, and so they may not be so very very convinced this is the Way, and never look back.

Song of Songs 3:5

Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you by the gazelles and by the does of the field:

Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.

Ephesians 4:30-32
    30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

We are to forgive each other, and not let any bitterness stay in our hearts, we are to throw out the bitter thoughts we have about other people, and give them to Jesus.
    We are to give the cup of our sins to Jesus, so that He has not died for nothing. There is no good we can give to Him, just our shortcomings.Jesus has comne to take them on the Cross, and throw them away, He has not come so that we hang on to our shortcomings.

It is qa matter of faith! Believe that Jesus has done away with all these wrong things,

Poohm has come back. I have forgiven Pooh, but she has not said sorry. She just comes back as if nothing has happened.
    So I do take some measures: I do not read her comments.
    Until somebody tells me she has said sorry for blaming all of us, for telling we are a bunch of @#%.
    For saying we are a gang.

I have forgiven her of saying all of these things, but just going on as if nothing has happened is not what I am going to do.

May God bless Pooh, lots and lots!

Mart, as I was reading Deuteronomy 8-10 Chapter 9 jumped out at me because God was reminding Israel it was not because they were good or righteous that God did what was written in Psalm 136 verses 10-22 it was because of the promise He had made to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and the wickedness of the surrounding nations that He preformed those miracles of mercy to a rebellious people and undeserving people, Israel. So actually when one thinks about it, it does apply to us as well because Christ died on the Cross for sinners and showed us mercy and grace to a rebellious, undeserving whole of mankind, so there does seem to be a link and a something in there for us today. His Love endures forever and when we know what to look for we see it everywhere.

64. narrowpathseeker says:

Good Morning Friends. I have nothing to say other than I am feeling the warmth,love, and inspiring words as well as the peace of the Wisdom being utilized here. Thank you! May all my brotheres and sisters in Christ be Blessed super abundantly today.

65. narrowpathseeker says:

sorry…”brothers” not brotheres. lol

Yes Pearl you are right, what we as Christians are to do is uplift each other, encourage each other, comfort one another and always show the face and nature of our Lord Jesus.

I once told you I have a journal of Scripture I wrote down when first I brought Matt home from hospital, one such Scripture is Isaiah 58:1-14 KJV with focus on Isaiah 58:9-11 KJV.

Sort of sounds simple doesn’t it? If we do this God will do that.

I have found that when we put love in practice we receive love in return, but always be ready, because Satan want’s to spoil every good thing that we do or comes our way.

Satan is like a barking dog, hard to ignore, but he has no power over us that we don’t give first to him.

The dog will tire and become hoarse and in time give up.

All we need do is not give in.

Isaiah 59:1 KJV, “Behold the Lord’s hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear.”

Seems to me that the love, kindness, mercy, goodness and faithfulness that is clear in the beginning of the song—and in the first few pages of Genesis— becomes inexpressibly hard to see… until we get to the part of the story where the God who loves the whole world so much that his Son dies on the Eve of a Jewish Passover…

But what do we do with about believers who wound other believers? I listened to a chapel with Ligon Duncan on YouTube about the mission of the church. Mart was right in turning our focus to the death of Jesus. Because Jesus was wounded and betrayed by His own people so will we also be and it’s been a long hard lesson for me to learn that the Divine judgement of God against sin is part and parcel of having a relationship with Him.

I’ve been hurt but I have also hurt others, my brothers and sisters. That’s where mercy comes in. I learned about God’s mercy because the law told me I fell short. Judgement and mercy go hand in hand it seems to me. God has blessed me with mercy after years of loving judgement and I’m so grateful for His grace. The short years of struggle here are nothing compared to the eternity of living ahead! Blessing the LORD because His mercy endures forever more.

Forever, thank you for you reassurance and encouragement.

Pooh, I love the song “Trust His Heart” lovely words full of encouragement. Thank you.

Foreverblessed I happened on these posts from January and they are good enough for me regarding your earlier post today, ok? Blessings to all in Christ Jesus

cbrown says:
    January 12, 2018 at 10:39 am
    Foreverblessed, your comments are a blessing. Most of Poohs comments are a blessing also. However when she goes on the offense the best thing to do is leave the room.She hands out criticism easily but does not receive it well.Last night one of the inmates in our study wanted to know how he could learn more about Love and we reviewed 1 Cor 13. I would encourage each person on this board to read the Word of God and be mindful that as Mart said ” when we are allowed to see that we really don’t live by what we can do for ourselves or for one another— but by every word of provision spoken into our lives—on the breath of our God?” Love to each of us.

poohpity says:
    January 12, 2018 at 10:51 am
    I do wholeheartedly apologize to all for trying to play God in your lives. I wanted you to see that while picking out all my faults, shortcomings and failures that you have many of your own that God has forgiven you for rather than trusting God to do that. He is completely able and does it with more grace than I ever could. I so do apologize because God asked us to love one another in spite of our faults, failures and shortcomings. That same love He showed us should come pouring out to others. Again I am sorry and will leave it up to Him.

70. narrowpathseeker says:

Steve, as always the Wisdom you have been granted shines brightly as does the collective fruit of the Spirit of those that seek to lift and encourage each other here.

As far as knowing what to look for, I am not sure where that is going.. If we are to only look for good in everything then why has the Lord forewarned us about so much…to test spirits, to turn away, to avoid the wide road that leads to destruction..wolves in sheep’s clothing, the signs of the end……if all we see is good, how easy it would be for satan to lure us into his realm of deception. As for me, I see myself quite clearly most of the time as well as seeing most others quite clearly. Asking for mercy for myself and others tends to dominate a good percentage of my prayer time. For the time being that is the best I can do…and hope to do better soon…but I do not think the Lord wants us to sacrifice the fruit we DO have to spirits of darkness. And to that thought I also ask the Lord for mercy if I am wrong.

Knowing what to look for…

Thinking about forgiveness and grace I think if I spend more time looking for Jesus in the scriptures forgiveness comes easier. I’m posting a part of the liturgy that always held much meaning for me even before I met Jesus, ( maybe I was a Pharisee on the brink of revelation, like Nicodemus)?
    Most merciful God,
    we confess that we have sinned against you
    in thought, word, and deed,
    by what we have done,
    and by what we have left undone.
    We have not loved you with our whole heart;
    we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves.
    We are truly sorry and we humbly repent.
    For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ,
    have mercy on us and forgive us;
    that we may delight in your will,
    and walk in your ways,
    to the glory of your Name. Amen.

Dear pooh, I’ve not only forgiven you for your meltdown a few weeks ago but forgotten it. Please forgive me for not loving you as I should. I have hurt you and others here and most of all God. I am sorry and hope for better days, but we’re not home yet so I’m bound to fail if I make a vow here. I will, however, continue to fix my eyes on Jesus who knows the Way is not easy but fruitful eventually by the grace He provides. Joyce

One for all and everything.
    When we know what to look for… we see it everywhere.

32 For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

34 “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

thinking…. seeking a King of kings and Lord of lords should improve life as a whole as it did the woman at the well. living water, never thirsty again. i wonder how she took the news that her Messiah was crucified? did she understand why? did she hear the good news! her story was so important that it is preserved forever, just as the woman and the 2 cents. just as all sin must be brought to the judgment seat, so to every good work also. all will be dealt with according to the King of kings and Lord of lords.

31 “But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 38 And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39 When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.’ 44 Then they themselves also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

ROMANS 2:1–16
    commentary from Scripture Union
    Passages of Scripture that detail God’s judgment on sin can be counterproductive to holy living if we read them without looking seriously at our own lives. The godly nineteenth-century Scottish minister Robert Murray M’Cheyne (1813–1843) once said that he saw in his own heart the root of all known sin. We tend to have special pleading and plentiful excuses when our own lives are examined, but to be extremely critical about the sins of others. In this section Paul invites his hearers to look closely at their own lives and not be judgmental towards those whom God has allowed the self-destruction of their sins.
    Much of what Paul writes in this chapter is directed towards Jewish believers who, before they became Christians, would have had very negative thoughts about Gentile behavior and ethics. Some Christians find it hard to deal with the prejudices of a previous faith and all of us can easily assume that right knowledge is the equivalent of right behavior. These writings communicate truth gently. It is a false understanding of the grace of God and the saving work of Jesus if we think that our behavior is irrelevant to our relationship with God (cf. Rom. 6:1). We need to change.
    These Jewish Christians are now in a congregation with Gentiles, who have never lived by the Jewish Law. Now, however, they have come to faith in Christ Jesus and are living in obedience to him. This is one of the greatest arguments against religious pride. We cannot put anyone outside of God’s salvation purposes.

thinking about my own heart and the passage where David numbers the people. I, like David, share the same flesh. my hope is we share the same Messiah. waiting and watching
    seeking knocking and asking.

Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, “I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you,”

32 For God has shut up all in disobedience so that He may show mercy to all.

thinking the elect here.
    3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love 5 He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will,

Romans 9:21-23
    21 Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use? 22 What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction? 23 And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory,

Many, Lord, are asking, “Who will bring us prosperity?”
    Let the light of your face shine on us.
    Fill my heart with joy
    when their grain and new wine abound.

In peace I will lie down and sleep,
    for you alone, Lord,
    make me dwell in safety.

“Something in Everything”, boy is that ever a true statement.

All last evening the Weather Channel kept flip flopping between the prediction of snow for today between less than 1 inch to 1-3 inches. Their prediction would change every 8 minutes or so.

This morning earlier when I looked in on the computer it was predicted at less than an inch and now when I sat down again its back to 1-3.

What I see in such behavior is they don’t know and really should just say so.

Earlier this morning I started to write a comment and in the course of it I needed to gather Scripture verses and in the middle of writing it I learned something from it and so erased it all and went on to my chores thanking God for His Word.

It seems that there was something more to see in what I was about to say.

It didn’t change what I had to say it made it “fuller” and “deeper”. So yes there is going to be “something in everything” especially when we dwell into the Word of God. It just may be that it is a well that goes deeper than we can ever go completely.

God designed in nature warning signs to alert us and other creatures from dangerous other creatures. “Leaves of three, let them be.” Or “Red and black, step back.”

There are also warning signs in people that should alert us to danger. This is what discernment helps us do, protect ourselves.

Twice in Isaiah we are told there is a time when the wolf will lay down with the lamb, and children will be safe with the asp, (Isaiah 11:6-9 KJV) and (Isaiah 65:25 KJV)

In the meantime whereas we are given discernment to recognize “poison” in other people we are also encouraged to know that Jesus says in Mark 16:18 JKV and Luke 11:19 JKV that He gives us the power over such danger.

The only harm they can do to us is what power we give to them to do so.

Sin can be cancerous, so recognize the sin in others, pray for them, avoid them if necessary, but they have no power over you. None. Take the high ground and stand fast on the Rock of our salvation.

Yes Mart there is something in everything. We only need to look.

You are so right Steve, they ( snakes and scorpions) have no power over us!
    Jesus is our Lord, and Savior!
    Street is saying something about how we treat the outsider, the non-believer.

But over here we are talking about fellow christians, those who talk about how gracious Jesus has been for us.

You are so funny Beloved! An apology of January 12 covers alle further misuse of worden?!

There is a stern warning in James,
    He writes: we all stumble in many ways…
    Does that mean we have to accept course language here?

The only warning we can give is in James 3:9-12
    Out of the same mouth we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God’s likeness…
    My brothers this should not be so.

Typo: that apology from the past covers all future misuse of words ( not worden)

Sorry that is Luke 10:19 KJV.

street, very good word spoken this morning. To pay attention to our own sin rather than the sin in others that is exactly the teaching of Jesus. We are warned several times to beware of people who teach things other than what the bible teaches so we are not lead astray but we can not stay away from sinners in a world filled with us so our grace should abound just like Christ’s grace abounded to us. For some who are close to God are more aware of our own sin than those who are further away from God that look for the sin in others first and foremost.

Being aware of the many people that we can do good for and be an encouragement rather than looking for the character defaults in others is time well spent.

As far as name calling Forever I’ve called myself much worse up until recently. And worse even I believed I was stuck with them. But Jesus has changed all that in the twinkling of an Eye. True dignity only comes from belonging to Him being under His rule and authority.

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
    O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation!
    All ye who hear, now to His temple draw near;
    Praise Him in glad adoration.
    Praise to the Lord, who o’er all things so wondrously reigneth,
    Shelters thee under His wings, yea, so gently sustaineth!
    Hast thou not seen how thy desires e’er have been
    Granted in what He ordaineth?
    Praise to the Lord, who doth prosper thy work and defend thee;
    Surely His goodness and mercy here daily attend thee;
    Ponder anew what the Almighty can do,
    If with His love He befriend thee.
    Praise to the Lord, who, when tempests their warfare are waging,
    Who, when the elements madly around thee are raging,
    Biddeth them cease, turneth their fury to peace,
    Whirlwinds and waters assuaging.
    Praise to the Lord, who, when darkness of sin is abounding,
    Who, when the godless do triumph, all virtue confounding,
    Sheddeth His light, chaseth the horrors of night,
    Saints with His mercy surrounding.
    Praise to the Lord, oh, let all that is in me adore Him!
    All that hath life and breath, come now with praises before Him;
    Let the Amen sound from His people again,
    Gladly for aye we adore Him.

85. cbrown says:

Good morning all!Beloved,the most amazing thing happened this morning.I struggled with memorizing l Corinthians 13 for several weeks and when I review it in my mind I have had to be very deliberate and often check myself by reviewing it in my Bible.This morning I went through it smoothly and reflected on the truth.Whata blessing. Love to all!

Chris what a testimony! Makes me think of the word becoming flesh and dwelling with us. You are blessed and so am I!

Thomas Shaffer: He Believes What He Teaches and Lives What He Believes.

Guilty guilty guilty, I want to change. This from Max Lucado hits me right between the eyes, so to speak.

Discarded People
    God calls us to change the way we look at people. Not to see them as Gentiles or Jews, insiders or outsiders, liberals or conservatives. Not to label. To label is to libel. “We have stopped evaluating others by what the world thinks about them” (2 Cor. 5:16 NLT).

Let’s view people differently; let’s view them as we do ourselves. Blemished, perhaps. Unfinished, for certain. Yet, once rescued and restored, we may shed light, like the two stained-glass windows in my office.

My brother found them on a junkyard heap. Some church had discarded them. Dee, a handy carpenter, reclaimed them. He repainted the chipped wood, repaired the worn frame. He sealed some of the cracks in the colored glass. The windows aren’t perfect. But if suspended where the sun can pass through, they cascade multicolored light into the room.

In our lifetimes, you and I are going to come across some discarded people. Tossed out. Sometimes tossed out by a church. And we get to choose. Neglect or rescue? Label them or love them? We know Jesus’ choice. Just look at what he did with us.

something in everything

today has been a gray day for me. as i sat eating dinner i intended to read Psalm 100 to cheer me up. instead i found Psalm 136 as i read i began to see how important this mercy is. everlasting! as i continued to read the next Psalm it speaks of people not receiving mercy. yes receiving good and nice things are great, but how much more not receiving the things that we deserved! humbled by mercy, when you understand others have not been so blessed. a time for silence. a time for intersession. a time for thanksgiving. a time for Praise. mercy continues.

as think of the post about looking at our lives, i am reminded of David asking who could dwell in God’s Temple and gaze at His Beauty? it seems, He comes to us at the present time. blessed is the soul that welcomes Him speedily and ready when He comes. I will never leave you nor forsake you, is a promise of great comfort for me. His Mercy is Everlasting.

to me sin is such a destructive force. it destroys everything that is good, every relationship, every heart and every mind. destroying the body and eventually the soul of man, made in the image of God. people draw back from the thought of cancer or HIV. not so much with other things. recognizing the peril is sometimes hard because of darkness. it is at the forefront of Jesus life to confront sin. salt and light come to mind, but the one thing that really sticks in my mind is what Jesus asked His Disciples to do. you give them something to eat! like a mom who knows people get run down and need to be restored. food is health, how much more so when the food is from heaven? to be shared with grace and mercy, love and truth. given out of the abundance we have received. grace and mercy be upon His disciples.

When we feel we have nothing left to give
    And we are sure that the “song has ended”-
    When our day seems over and the shadows fall
    And the darkness of ngiht has descended,
    Where can we go to find the strength
    To valiantly keep on trying,
    Where can we find the hand that will dry
    The tears that the heart is crying-
    There’s but one place to go and that is to God
    And, dropping all pretence and pride,
    We can pour out our problems without restraint
    And gain strength with Him at our side-
    And together we stand at life’s crossroads
    And view what we think is the end,
    But God has a much bigger vision
    And He tell us it’s only a bend-
    For the road goes on and is smoother,
    And the “pause in the song” is a “rest,”
    And the part that’s unsung and unfinished
    Is the sweetest and richest and best-
    So rest and relax and grow stronger,
    Let go and let God share your load,
    Your work is not finished or ended,
    You’vw jus come to “a bend in the road.”

He makes me to know Joy

to fully know Joy, in God’s Sovereign plan, He makes us know sorrow.

looking for the day the tears are removed in His Presents.

my rags are removed like the High Priest and Righteous vestments are given.

Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him. 2 The Lord said to Satan, “The Lord rebuke you, Satan! Indeed, the Lord who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is this not a brand plucked from the fire?” 3 Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments and standing before the angel. 4 He spoke and said to those who were standing before him, saying, “Remove the filthy garments from him.” Again he said to him, “See, I have taken your iniquity away from you and will clothe you with festal robes.” 5 Then I said, “Let them put a clean turban on his head.” So they put a clean turban on his head and clothed him with garments, while the angel of the Lord was standing by.

6 And the angel of the Lord admonished Joshua, saying, 7 “Thus says the Lord of hosts, ‘If you will walk in My ways and if you will perform My service, then you will also govern My house and also have charge of My courts, and I will grant you free access among these who are standing here.
    8 Now listen, Joshua the high priest, you and your friends who are sitting in front of you—indeed they are men who are a symbol, for behold, I am going to bring in My servant the Branch. 9 For behold, the stone that I have set before Joshua; on one stone are seven eyes. Behold, I will engrave an inscription on it,’ declares the Lord of hosts, ‘and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day. 10 ‘In that day,’ declares the Lord of hosts, ‘every one of you will invite his neighbor to sit under his vine and under his fig tree.’”

thinking how Jonah sat under a vine that only comfort him a little while.
    thinking of the verse….
    even if He slay me I will trust in Him.
    for He is good and His love & mercy is everlasting.
    for if He had not redeemed us we would have become like Sodom and Gomorrah.

28 A person is not a Jew who is one only outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. 29 No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a person’s praise is not from other people, but from God.

born again, living water, bread from Heaven, New Wine
    “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”

The first shall be last and the last first. Yet in Christ there is neither jew nor greek, male/female slave or free. But Christ is all in all,the fullness of Him who fills all things. Something for everyone.

Lord I come to You
    Let my heart be changed renewed
    Flowing from the grace
    That I’ve found in You

Lord I’ve come to know
    The weaknesses I see in me
    Will be stripped away
    By the power of Your love

Hold me close
    Let Your love surround me
    Bring me near
    Draw me to Your side
    And as I wait
    I’ll rise up like the eagle
    And I will soar with You
    Your Spirit leads me on
    In the power of Your love

Lord unveil my eyes
    Let me see You face to face
    The knowledge of Your love
    As You live in me

Lord renew my mind
    As Your will unfolds in my life
    In living everyday
    By the power of Your love

From Sunday morning reflections.

Wonderful, Merciful Saviour
    Precious Redeemer and Friend
    Who would have thought that a Lamb could rescue the souls of men
    ooh, You rescue the souls of men.

Counselor, Comforter, Keeper
    Spirit we long to embrace
    You offer hope when our hearts have hopelessly lost our way
    ooh, we’ve hopelessly lost the way

You are the One that we praise
    You are the One we adore
    You give the healing and grace
    Hearts always hunger for
    ooh, Our hearts always hunger for

Almighty, Infinite Father,
    Faithfully loving your own
    Hear in our weakness you find us
    Falling before your Throne
    ooh, we’re falling before your Throne

You are the One that we praise
    You are the One we adore
    You give the healing and grace
    Hearts always hunger for
    ooh, Our hearts always hunger for
    ooh, Our hearts always hunger for

Beautiful thoughts in song street and Viv. Fallng before His throne we are lifted up as on the wings of eagles, soaring above the fray. Eagles don’t flap their wigs the wind carries them along, as the wind of the Holy Spirit does. Never quite knowing where he’s going next but worth the watching for. Will it be joy, repentance, sadness, grief or? Not my will but yours LORD. Give me eyes to see what’s often right in front of me.

Viv I think wars are made for plunder, caused by selfish self interest, greed, lust power and control.