Like Father like Son

Like mother like daughter. Like father like son.

Sometimes, we see in a child the mannerisms, interests and abilities of a parent.

According to Jesus, this is what we see in his relationship with his Father “…The Son can do nothing on his own, but only what he sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise.” (John 5:19). And, “…The Father judges no one but has given all judgment to the Son, so that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father” (John 5:23).  And to those [like us] who, because they misunderstood— feared, and hated him, …“Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father; your accuser is Moses, on whom you have set your hope” (John 5:45).

In the middle of an unfolding drama, the Son says, “I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge; and my judgment is just, because I seek to do not my own will but the will of him who sent me.” (John 5:30).

For a moment, those tightly packed words have my attention. Not only because of the ultimate resemblance they signal; and not just because— in the mirror image Jesus gives us of his Father— he gives us a radically merciful vision of divine justice and judgment; but also because—in seeing such wonder and mercy—we have a chance to reflect—the gracious mannerisms, loving interests, and presence of our Father in heaven.

78 Responses to “Like Father like Son”

Most of you know I feed the critters that show up in my backyard. I have a large heart shaped rock just outside my kitchen window and one of the places I place seed for the birds and whatever other critters that may show up.

Whereas I used to put corn out farther up in my yard on an old stump for the deer, they got to be too many and began turning my yard into a cattle pen of dug up turf and mud so I quit. However my neighbor still feeds the deer and so I still get them.

However wherever there are deer there are usually turkey as well. The deer paw up the ground and in wither, the snow, searching for food and the turkey find it easier to then scratch the loosened soil to look for food as well. So they usually travel together.

Last winter for whatever reason a solo hen turkey began feeding off the rock in my yard. At first there were several that came, but then as winter moved along she became the one that stuck around.

Here it is the middle of May now and she still comes in once a day to feed. I haven’t seen the flock for several weeks, but she stayed close to our rock and I suppose steady food.

It never ceases to amaze me to see how much nature resembles our lives and the people in it. It shouldn’t surprise me as God oversees both, but then God still teaches me from all the things and events around me.

32 this morning under a clear sky.

The one stumbling block for Mormons and The Watch Tower Society is their inability to see that the Father and the Son are “One”.

They just can’t understand how a Father can also be His own Son.

In part it is because they can’t get past thinking carnally instead of spiritually.

It is said that an apple don’t fall far from the tree. This is usually given in reference to the observation that the offspring of the apple tree is still an apple tree. All about observing that the offspring of people are going to be like their parents.

Jesus takes this a step further and says He does nothing that He doesn’t see the Father doing, and while confusing says His judgement is just because He does the will of the Father after saying the Father has given all judgement to Him.

So the judgement of Jesus is reflected in the will of the Father.

So then our judgement should reflect the will of the Son who all judgement is given and by so doing we also do the will of the Father.

Whereas it is written “Judge not lest you be judged” we are also given the Holy Spirit so that we can discern between right and wrong as seen by the Father.

The Spirt that aids us in judging is the Triune Spirit of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

Where would we be concerning making judgement calls without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit?

In simpler times our cartoons would often show a little devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other each trying to influence the individual as what to do.

It may be a simple caricature, but graphic enough to make the point.

All of our decisions are placed in such a manner and realizing it or not we make judgement calls all day long and about everything including the actions of other people.

As long as we do the will of that little angels urging and judge according to the will of the Holy Spirit we are aligned with doing the will of the Father, just as Jesus said He did and wants us to do likewise.

Discernment via of the Holy Spirit is one of the things I pray for and thank God for daily, sometimes moment by moment.

John 5:30 strikes me that Jesus listened to His Father, not man. We have much to say, many opinions, ideas etc based on our fallen human thinking (but not always if we listen to the Word through the word of God.) Jesus knew this and showed the benevolent essence of our creator in His life of loving sacrifice. Something to think about further.

God’s will for us human beings is not a secret He clearly told us what it is; “To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Listen!” Then in another place Jesus shared more; “Then they inquired, “What must we do to perform the will of God?” 29Jesus replied, “The will of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent.”

Then when we believe in the One God sent, Jesus He told us what His mission is “God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him.”

If He did come to judge; His divine judgement and justice is pure because only God knows the whole person, every little detail about what has made a person the person they are yet He withholds that judgement for now.
    For someone to think that because they have the Holy Spirit living in them gives them the right to judge another person they seem to forget they are limited in their knowledge of the person they are judging because they are still fallible and actually have not listened closely to that Holy Spirit they say they have.

The Holy Spirit will not teach us anything contrary to the teaching of Jesus who taught, “Do not judge, or you will be judged. For with the same judgment you pronounce, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but fail to notice the beam in your own eye?” I guess DO NOT means nothing to those who are not following Jesus but their own selfish pride to think they have the same abilities as God does.

It is plainly told to us what the purpose of the Holy Spirit is and take notice it says nothing about helping us to JUDGE OTHERS.

Jesus said, “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you.” AND “When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future.”

Then in these times will give us discernment regarding; “Now the Spirit expressly states that in later times some will abandon the faith to follow deceitful spirits and the teachings of demons, 2influenced by the hypocrisy of liars, whose consciences are seared with a hot iron.”

If one has never come to know the truth or the Words and teaching of Jesus the Holy Spirit certainly will not be able to remind them of anything He taught.

SFDBWV says:
    May 15, 2019 at 6:18 am

My dad had the same wisdom Steve, and instinctively he knew when another Christian was leading him astray.

His strength was my weakness but his example has been a blessing as he knew where to get his leadership from and why he was aligned with God’s ways when all around him were not.

God rewards discipline and I know because my dad had one of the most disciplined minds and hearts and it wasn’t man driven but God given.

angels mediators Jesus Spirit.

19 Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was given through angels and entrusted to a mediator.

angels- messengers of law

mediators-a reply to the law by man in a mediator

Jesus- God’s response to mans reply

Spirit-new life- by faith in Christ.

has the messenger, the law, the mediator, The Son, The Spirit failed? it is written Jeremiah 4:26
    I looked, and the fruitful land was a desert; all its towns lay in ruins before the Lord, before his fierce anger.

Jeremiah 9:11
    “I will make Jerusalem a heap of ruins, a haunt of jackals; and I will lay waste the towns of Judah so no one can live there.”

Jeremiah 30:18
    “This is what the Lord says: “‘I will restore the fortunes of Jacob’s tents and have compassion on his dwellings; the city will be rebuilt on her ruins, and the palace will stand in its proper place.

9 I myself will be surety for him; you may hold me responsible for him. If I do not bring him back to you and set him before you, then let me bear the blame before you forever.

children of promise.

thinking of the woman at the well waiting for the Messiah. it wasn’t her that was waiting it was Jesus waiting for her, like a Father. oh the patients and goodness of the Lord.

8. bratimus says:

The Key to all this is Faith

WE don’t have a complete understanding in God’s ways.

So we walk in faith, Jesus has delivered us, and the Holy Spirit will guide us.

The Brat

faith- the gift of God.

Before Peter denies him three times Jesus says to him, “Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded to sift you like wheat; but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.” Jesus prays for Peter’s faith to be sustained even through sin, because he knows that God is the one who sustains faith. Piper

To me what is very sad is people think they can not get to know God even after God took on human flesh to reveal Himself to us!!

Pooh that may be caused by denial. Could you also be in denial here on this blog? Just asking.

was thinking about abraham and how well he trusted God, incredible? thinking about the time He visited him before the destruction of the two cities. even telling him before hand. he talked and bargained with God, as God. he really knew Who he was talking to and Who was talking to him.

God has finally spoken to “us” through His Son.

thinking further…God has spoken “finally” through His Son? this lead me to a real teaser….what of peter james john and paul…..?

the thought….we have a chance to reflect—the gracious mannerisms, loving interests, and presence of our Father in heaven.

Created for Union with God

Unbounded, holy Breath,
    You flood all time and space,
    While we, so here and now,
    Are dust and deep disgrace.

Refrain:
    Father, Source of all,
    All that we pursue,
    See us, frail and incomplete.
    Our wholeness, Lord, is You.

All-knowing, mighty God,
    Pure goodness ever near,
    We struggle, small and lost,
    All selfishness and fear.

What poverty within!
    What unimagined wealth!
    You bless us with this need
    To bless us with Yourself.

While outside this morning feeding the birds and talking to God it dawned on me that you and I are children of Adam and Eve and so we naturally are like them.

Really we don’t know too much about them except they failed the test and began this long journey for mankind to live out the predestined time of man and his return to God.

Because I live in a semi-rural small town existence I am privileged to know a lot of people, their parents, grandparents and other family members.

“Like father like son” is evident in a most clearly seen habits and actions of not only myself, but others around me.

I think perhaps Adam and Eve were exactly like all of us or any of us. Because when I think about genealogy I am reminded that I am they and they are me.

The color of my eyes, the way I smile, the way I walk and so many of my habits all are a culmination of all of those who came before me in my genealogical line. And if you believe, then all the way back to Adam and Eve.

From the dust of the earth we were formed and life entered us from the breath of God.

God the Father as well as God the Holy Spirit are spiritual beings, and Jesus the offspring of Mary a daughter of man and The Holy Spirit, God the Father.

God became flesh through Mary, but retained His Spiritual existence as God by the mystery and power of the Holy Spirit

“Like Father like Son” means just that, Jesus is like God the Father and we are like Adam. However Jesus offers us a new beginning a new birth whereas we are “born again” with God as our Father becoming a new creature.

Again, a mystery, but that old genealogical line always trying to reconnect fighting against a new genealogical line straight to God, our creator and Spiritual Father.

Sometimes we succeed and reflect God our Father and sometimes we fail and reflect Adam our earthly father.

Whose eyes we see through often reflect from whose heart we come from. We clearly see which father it is we reflect, too often too late to realize it. Relying on God’s grace to forgive the Adam in us all.

46 and clear this morning.

Our Father knows what’s best for us,
    So why should we complain
    We always want the sunshine,
    But He knows there must be rain

We love the sound of laughter
    And the merriment of cheer,
    But our hearts would lose their tenderness
    If we never shed a tear…

Our Father tests us often
    With suffering and with sorrow,
    He tests us, not to punish us,
    But to help us meet tomorrow…

For growing trees are strengthened
    When they withstand the storm,
    And the sharp cut of a chisel
    Gives the marble grace and form…

God never hurts us needlessly,
    And He never wastes our pain
    For every loss He send to us
    Is followed by rich gain…

And when we count the blessings
    That God has so freely sent,
    We will find no cause for murmuring
    And no time to lament…

For our Father loves His children,
    And to Him all things are plain,
    So He never sends us pleasure
    When the soul’s deep need is pain…

So whenever we are troubled,
    And when everything goes wrong,
    It is just God working in us
    To make our spirit strong.

Joyce I thought you said you were never going to read anything I wrote again?

It would seem that one really has to know someone closely before they can imitate them. How easy it seems to imitate the world when that is all one fills their mind with.

Eph 5: Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children. 2 Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ……

8 For once you were full of darkness, but now you have light from the Lord. So live as people of light! 9 For this light within you produces only what is good and right and true.

Luke 6: But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them, expecting nothing in return. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. 37Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

James 3:17 NLT

Eph 3: I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. 17 Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. 18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. 19 May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.

Thanks for the sermon pooh, I pray the same for you also!

My Jesus by Todd Agnew

Which Jesus do you follow?
    Which Jesus do you serve?
    If Ephesians says to imitate Christ
    Then why do you look so much like the world?

Cause my Jesus bled and died
    He spent His time with thieves and liars
    He loved the poor and accosted the arrogant
    So which one do you want to be?

Blessed are the poor in spirit
    Or do we pray to be blessed with the wealth of this land
    Blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness
    Or do we ache for another taste of this world of shifting sand

‘Cause my Jesus bled and died for my sins
    He spent His time with thieves and sluts and liars
    He loved the poor and accosted the rich
    So which one do you want to be?

Who is this that you follow
    This picture of the American dream
    If Jesus was here would you walk right by on the other side or fall down and worship at His holy feet

Pretty blue eyes and curly brown hair and a clear complexion
    Is how you see Him as He dies for Your sins
    But the Word says He was battered and scarred
    Or did you miss that part
    Sometimes I doubt we’d recognize Him

‘Cause my Jesus bled and died
    He spent His time with thieves and the least of these
    He loved the poor and accosted the comfortable
    So which one do you want to be?

‘Cause my Jesus would never be accepted in my church
    The blood and dirt on His feet would stain the carpet
    But He reaches for the hurting and despised the proud
    I think He’d prefer Beale St. to the stained glass crowd
    And I know that He can hear me if I cry out loud

I want to be like my Jesus!
    I want to be like my Jesus!

Not a posterchild for American prosperity, but like my Jesus
    You see I’m tired of living for success and popularity
    I want to be like my Jesus but I’m not sure what that means to be like You Jesus
    ‘Cause You said to live like You, love like You but then You died for me
    Can I be like You Jesus?
    I want to be like my Jesus

His mercies are new EVERY morning. It’s a new day! Forgetting those things that are behind I press on for the sake of the gospel. The gospel makes it easy to forgive and forget yesterday’s troubles. Praying for grace to go through another day and to receive multiple blessings from my Abba Father!

Joyce only the first sentence was for you I know the rest would not make any difference to you.

If we only had one zintillionth of the patience our Heavenly Father has!

I do not have patience with people who lie. Talk about denial.

I do have to say Joyce because I know your background that I do love you even if I can not believe a word you say that will never stop that.

Like mother like daughter. Like father like son.

Thinking of addiction being passed down to the children. Someone painfully said to me once, I can’t stop doing a puzzle until it’s done and often don’t get to sleep until 4 or 5 am! She looked so tired. I said, well, there are worse addictions I guess.
    I’ve wondered at times whether my strong attraction to theology is driven by my need for answers to why I suffer with food/spending addictions, relentless Bible study, and overall need for comforting. Why do I run from Jesus sometimes to my nearest comforting tool? Yes I learned these things from my parents and I know Jesus is far far better at comforting me yet there is something in my Adam/Eve flesh that wants to rebel. The fight is real– the world flesh and devil scream loudly compared to the still small voice of Jesus. I wish I knew/trusted Jesus better, but I guess it’s a journey for most everyone. So grateful for His faithfulness.

Prone to wander LORD I feel it prone to leave the God I love…take my heart LORD take and seal it seal it for thy courts above.

Like Father so is the Son.

Interesting pooh that knowing your background I too know you to be a liar also. Aren’t we all on one level or another? How else can we be? The struggle to be like other believers is real. To have grown up in loving Christian household with no abuse of any kind is unreal to some of us. Then we get saved and find that most can’t understand us and the struggles/sins we’ve dealt with so either fight for a place or retreat into solitary existence (me). Add on a mental illness and that really leads to isolation. Myself I’ve been traumatized fighting for a place in the Body so many times in tired old and just done. Thank God for His faithfulness to us, all of us.

Pooh when I said you were a shady character I believed a true Christian didn’t sin, much or ongoing anyway per I John. But I know I expect way too much from other Christians because I strive for righteous living. You still have that ongoing fighting rebelliousness that is so unChristlike and lack humility I expect from a longtime believer. I love you too, pooh.

Gotta go get some catfood, and hopefully successful to avoid the donut case.

Beloved, I discovered that mental illness has still a stigma for many and so I keep my struggles between God and myself though I have very good family support and good friends who support me and I know I have much to be thankful for because I know there are people who are isolated because of a lack of understanding of mental illness which makes people fear those with it.

Knowing God loves us with all our shortcomings is what gives us the will to go on and I understand what you are saying about expectations of others but I am learning that I need to be at Jesus’s feet learning from Him and letting others do the same as it is He who meets my needs while others confuse my needs with theirs.

I’ve had many tears and sorrows,
    I’ve had questions for tomorrow,
    there’s been times I didn’t know right from wrong.
    But in every situation,
    God gave me blessed consulation,
    that my trials come to only make me strong.

Chorus
    Through it all,
    through it all,
    I’ve learned to trust in Jesus,
    I’ve learned to trust in God.

Through it all,
    through it all,
    I’ve learned to depend upon His Word.

Verse 2
    I’ve been to lots of places,
    I’ve seen a lot of faces,
    there’s been times I felt so all alone.
    But in my lonely hours,
    yes, those precious lonely hours,
    Jesus lets me know that I was His own

Chorus

Verse 3
    I thank God for the mountains,
    and I thank Him for the valleys,
    I thank Him for the storms He brought me through.
    For if I’d never had a problem,
    I wouldn’t know God could solve them,
    I’d never know what faith in God could do

Thanks viv. Yes, through it all I’ve learned to trust in Jesus. I’ve lost all my family and my 2 closest friends now lately so going it alone for the first time. No more face to face conversation which I miss. Gods got a plan for me though, I believe it but don’t necessarily like to have my flesh cut off. It’s all part of the Deal though. God is good and my creator so I bow to Him. Jesus made it possible.

Yes, its hard to see our loved ones and friends pass on as we have bonds with them through sharing our lives that another cannot replace.

Maybe its God’s way of drawing us to Himself as it seems this world does become more alien the older I get.

I like these quotes from C. S. Lewis.

Has this world been so kind to you that you should leave with regret? There are better things ahead than any we leave behind.

Everyone has noticed how hard it is to turn our thoughts to God when everything is going well with us… While what we call ‘our own life’ remains agreeable, we will not surrender it to Him. What, then, can God do in our interests but make ‘our own life’ less agreeable to us, and take away the plausible sources of false happiness?

“The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us.”

“God can’t give us peace and happiness apart from Himself because there is no such thing.”

“[God] will not be used as a convenience. Men or nations who think they can revive the Faith in order to make a good society might just as well think they can use the stairs of heaven as a shortcut to the nearest chemist’s shop.”

I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”

“The more we let God take us over, the more truly ourselves we become – because He made us. He invented us. He invented all the different people that you and I were intended to be. . .It is when I turn to Christ, when I give up myself to His personality, that I first begin to have a real personality of my own.”

“Remember He is the artist and you are only the picture. You can’t see it. So quietly submit to be painted—i.e., keep fulfilling all the obvious duties of your station (you really know quite well enough what they are!), asking forgiveness for each failure and then leaving it alone. You are in the right way. Walk—don’t keep on looking at it.”

Two disjointed thoughts:

1. According to Mart’s last paragraph he states how Jesus gives us a radically merciful divine vision of justice. The older I become, the more thankful and cognizant of the preciousness of God’s mercy he affords us. It appears we focus on God’s love more than His mercy. However, mercy and love are partners. If one loves another, mercy will be in place. His mercies are new every morning. Think of that: new mercies every morning. How precious and how humbling for us that Almighty God would show us MERCY AND LOVE.

2. Just as we can see our Father in Jesus, there are a few people who I’ve been privileged to know who are like this. Being in their presence is uplifting They reflect our Heavenly Father so well that it is a blessing to be with them. They have a holiness about them; they are peaceful, wise, and kind. I am not eloquent so I cannot describe the uniqueness of these dear people.

Hope everyone here has a peaceful evening. Take care, dear friends.

Thank you Bubbles, for your thoughts, and for your blessing.
    I accept them, and they warm my heart.

Thank you Jeff, for Lewis’ qoutes.

So Father, so Son, so we His children.

As Mart wrote
    “but also because—in seeing such wonder and mercy—we have a chance to reflect—the gracious mannerisms, loving interests, and presence of our Father in heaven.”

I read this yesterday in God at eventide, and it appears :
    that Jesus counts on us….
    To show Him to the World.

God at Eventide:
    May 16 – Hungry Hearts

We would see Jesus.

This is still the cry of a hungry, dissatisfied, seeking world.

I look to My followers to satisfy that cry.

Reflect Me, that the seekers may see Me in you, and then go on to company with Me.

Rejoice at this as John rejoiced when he could point his disciples to Me with the brave and humble words, “He must increase, and I must decrease.”

Go on in Faith and Joy and Love.

bubbles says:
    May 16, 2019 at 7:36 pm

Thinking that I too have known a ‘few’ which is perhaps why I cling to the hope of a better world to come as their example reminds me of what reflecting Jesus should look like.

I believe that C. S. Lewis’s quote on what I should expect when I choose to be a Christian is very true as the wrong expectations often leads to disappointment while the enormity of being a Christian in a secular world is not a small undertaking but one in which I will need God with me every step of the way.

Eph 2:10

Do Something
    Matthew West

I woke up this morning
    Saw a world full of trouble now, thought
    How’d we ever get so far down, and
    How’s it ever gonna turn around
    So I turned my eyes to Heaven
    I thought, “God, why don’t You do something?”
    Well, I just couldn’t bear the thought of
    People living in poverty
    Children sold into slavery

The thought disgusted me
    So, I shook my fist at Heaven
    Said, “God, why don’t You do something?”
    He said, “I did, yeah, I created you” (now listen)

If not us, then who
    If not me and you
    Right now, it’s time for us to do something, yeah
    If not now, then when?
    Will we see an end
    To all this pain
    Oh, it’s not enough to do nothing
    It’s time for us to do something

I’m so tired of talking about
    How we are God’s hands and feet
    But it’s easier to say than to be
    Live like angels of apathy who tell ourselves
    It’s alright, “somebody else will do something”
    Well, I don’t know about you
    But I’m sick and tired of life with no desire
    I don’t want a flame, I want a fire and
    I wanna be the one who stands up and says
    “I’m gonna do something”

If not us, then who
    If not me and you
    Right now, it’s time for us to do something, yes it is, come on
    If not now, then when
    Will we see an end
    To all this pain
    Oh oh, it’s not enough to do nothing
    It’s time for us to do something

We are the salt of the earth
    We are a city on a hill
    We’re never gonna change the world
    By standing still
    No, we won’t stand still
    No, we won’t stand still
    No, we won’t stand still

If not us, then who
    If not me and you
    Right now
    It’s time for us to do something
    If not now, then when
    Will we see an end
    To all this pain
    It’s not enough to do nothing
    It’s time for us to do something
    It’s time for us to do something
    It’s time for us to do something

bubbles wrote; “Just as we can see our Father in Jesus, there are a few people who I’ve been privileged to know who are like this. Being in their presence is uplifting They reflect our Heavenly Father so well that it is a blessing to be with them.”

Why is it always about other people? Shouldn’t we ask ourselves, “Am I being a reflection of Jesus?” Isn’t that where our concern should lie? Why look around when it is individuals that make up the body of Christ and if each does what they can do boy wouldn’t that give the church a better name than keeping score of other people’s behavior, we are so focused outward we miss what God has prepared for YOU/ME to do.

BE that person others enjoy being around! BE the change you want in others!

Its because we see our own failings much easier than we can another’s that we look to others who are more Godly than ourselves to be a mentor.

As someone whose mind was very disturbed I had to let my dad be my mind and to this day I look for people who have my dad’strength of character because I have always been easily influenced by others which is what led me away from God.

If you trust another more than you trust your own discernment then it follows that you will trust their judgements before your own.

I cannot see why it seems so alien to you Pooh that one part of the body needs another part as to my thinking that is what we represent in the Body of Christ as one’s weakness is another’s strength and no man is an island.

He must increase, I must decrease. Forever that was what the LORD impressed on me today also. Thinking about how worship of the self and all it’s ways of doing are nothing compared with the rich rewarding knowledge of Jesus, who gave up all of Himself for us. His words His wisdom knowledge works meant nothing for our salvation, it was His act of dying that brought us the release from sin selves success and poverty we strive for in its many forms. Thankful for the Holy Spirit that enables me to live above my circumstances heart and soul. Jesus, King forever.

Viv, I do not know how you came up with that I think we do not need each other on this journey of life. I have said multiple times ALL parts of the body are needed along this journey. So it is not at all alien to me but we sure do not need others to tear us down with malicious false slander so again I have no idea where you came up with that false assumption. Please give me one example of me saying we do not need each other! Just one. I bet you will not be able to not even one.

“We “have a moral duty to be happy” is clearly taught in Scripture (though there are proper times for grieving and not being happy, for example, when a loved one dies) and is common sense. Scripture tells us we should have shalom (a sense of well-being), joy, peace, and a zest for life in the Kingdom. Further, when we’re happy in this way, the people around us at work, in our family and circle of friends, and in the church are uplifted in spirit, encouraged, and motivated to grow and serve. When we’re anxious and depressed, we tend to have a negative impact on those around us. If this is the case, we should not respond with guilt and shame. Rather, we should seek the help and knowledge we need to grow out of these things”.
    Excerpt from an interview of J P Moreland on overcoming anxiety and depression.

Anxiety and depression…
    we give it to Jesus
    we lay it at the Cross
    Here is my depression, and my anxiety
    And then ask for His peace, His Comfort.

The Cross is one bib exchange.

Only, I am human and as soon as I walk away from the Cross, I take up my anxiety again.
    There is where the perseverence comes in:
    Persevere in coming back again and again, and laying it at the Cross.

And there comes in on not feeding my mind with these negative thoughts,
    instead filling it with the words of the Bible,
    the encouraging words:

“Thus I have become in His eyes like one bringing contentment”
    Song of Solomon 8:10b or Song of Songs 8:10

Oh, how these words are true: Jesus cannot let His eyes off from us. He sees our struggling, our wanting to come to Him.
    Just do no give up on coming to Him

Like the woman, Beloved that you talked about lately, who said: Oh, this is all make belief.

When nothing happens at once, that we do not think:
    It is all a lie, Jesus does not help me.

James 5:11
    As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

Where is it taught in scripture that “we have a moral duty to be “happy”?” Full of joy yes because we are children of God but happiness only happens depending on circumstance we find ourselves in.

Viv, what I do say repeatedly and is found in scripture it is not our job to judge whether a Christian is a good or bad one. But it is our job to make sure we are a follower of Jesus not whether anyone else is. If more people were to read scripture and the teaching of Jesus the blinders may come off to what that is supposed to look like, being a follower of Jesus that is, then they would see they have no room to talk abut anyone else.

If anything just read the things Jesus taught, in some bibles the red letters, then a person can score themselves on how they are doing and not feel the need to judge others. It is very nice to see people that are filled with the spirit of God because they are the ones who are busy doing His work and leaving the convicting to the Holy Spirit. John 16:8

Thinking we can forgive those who we say maliciously slander us instead of complaining about it and feeling sorry for ourselves, if we know Jesus we can, if not, well, keep on complaining I guess!

Those type of followers of Jesus usually mind their own business and are not busybodies or gossips.

Pooh you don’t understand, that’s obvious. What I don’t understand is how you have not grown one iota in your spiritual knowledge since you found out about Jesus. Not one inch of progress in what you write here after many years! I’m astounded. Your responses to myself and others betray your deceptive nature. Human nature. But I love you, still.

Whatsoever things are true honest just….. precedes the rest of the verse…lovely pure virtuous praiseworthy think on these things. Speaking the truth honestly with justice is being loving. Oh my!

Pooh are you clean, sober, hooked on prescription pain killers or?

Not accusing just asking.

Just a reminder, dear friends….there is a rare “seasonal” full blue moon tomorrow night. Rare. The May 18 full moon happens to be the third of four full moons appearing during the spring season of 2019, so it fits the definition of a “seasonal blue moon.” This spring already had full moons on March 20 and April 19, and two more are coming, one tomorrow night, May 18 and one on June 17. If four full moons — instead of three — occur during one astronomical season (spring, summer, fall or winter), the third full moon of the season is called a “blue moon” and is considered rare.

I wonder if this rare blue moon will be the cause of unexpected and definitely rare, nice, edifying and uplifting comments, instead of those that pick apart – especially pick apart – condemn, judge and point the finger at, rude ones that cause dissension and discord? That would be a rare occurrence on here for sure. And such a welcomed change…. for once.

But at any rate, beware, the full moon rises. Don’t fall into the trap that has already been set.

Why do I always allude to full moons? Although scientific evidence fails to attribute clear physical cause to full moon behaviour, more than 40 percent in the medical community are convinced that lunar phases can affect human behaviour. Many emergency-room doctors, firefighters and police officers enjoy swapping stories about the crazy accidents and incidents that take place on nights when the sky is bright by a full moon, blaming lunar cycles for the perceived uptick in unusual activity. My late aunt was a RN for more than 40 years and she swore the maternity ward beds were filled to capacity at every full moon. She said it was a case of seeing is believing, especially when it occurred so consistently over many decades. My brother retired as a district chief in the fire department and he too can attest to this full moon behaviour with countless stories.

Once in a blue moon….will it actually happen this time around, on here. Mart, don’t hold your breath.

Pat xo

Street if I am wrong about the verse please help me, thanks.

Another bible verse comes to mind:

This calls for patient endurance on the part of the saints

Revelation 13:10, 14:12

The saints who obey God’s commandments and remain faithful to Jesus.
    The first, or one of the first commands Jesus gives is
    Come to Me, all who are heave laden,
    and I will give you rest.
    Matthew 11:28

Do not give up on laying at the Cross all your burdens!
    And there will come a time, when you will think:
    Hey, for a while now, I did not feel anxiety.

It happened so slowly, that it is hardly noticed.

I had a friend, who had been abused, but wanted God to take away negative thoughts, she said:
    If the thoughts do not come anymore, THEN I am healed.
    So she waited for healing and was moaning over the negative thoughts still harassing her.
    Maybe you would understand her…
    That is why I like the teaching of Joyce Meyer, who teaches that after our initial salvation, that is all the work of Grace, the Cross,
    after that we have a part to play:
    Grab negative thoughts as soon as they appear in your head!
    Do not allow one second on them, they will set you back for awhile again.

And even better: Start praising, singing songs.
    But Jeff and you and others have said this often:
    listening to Gospel music.

Calming the mind.

Pat I worked in an Alzheimer’s unit and dealt with sundowners syndrome (We closed the drapes at sundown as it did upset many) and seemed to have more “behaviors” during a full moon. But it could have been coincidental, I know of no data confirming the validity of it. One thing I do know for sure from many years in mental health crisis units with lots of turnover weekly sometimes daily there was always one that needed more attention from staff than the others, no matter the numbers. It seems to be the way of things both annoying and sometimes needful. Sigh..

Thanks forever, it is a journey!

I’m not a fan of Joyce, Beth or other emotional type preachers because for me their personas alone leave me running for a dark quiet room. But I learn better from more calm scholarly types like prof Moreland. That’s just me :-).

Circumstances may try to dictate our happiness or sadness in life but being in Christ we CAN rise above them, as if on eagles wings!

poohpity says:
    May 17, 2019 at 10:27 am

I don’t think it is my job to judge another Christian, but, since I spent my young life following Christians who were not focused on Jesus, I was wandering from God rather than to Him, so it was God who used my dad to draw me back to Himself.

You cannot control the behaviour of another so it is foolish to try and God will do what He has to do to correct others just as He has found a way to correct me.

Remembering that God is in control gives me a peace that endures and that is a real blessing in this life I find.

BECAUSE, POOH, I MADE A COMMENT ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE BEING A BLESSING. A SIMPLE COMMENT ABOUT HOW SOME ARE GRACIOUS, KIND, AND LOVING IN A WAY THAT IS EDIFYING. THEY MADE A DEEP IMPRESSION ON ME. NOTHING IS WRONG IN WHAT I SAID AND ALL HERE KNOW IT. IT IS GOOD TO APPRECIATE THE WAY OTHERS REFLECT JESUS. AND, OF COURSE, DESIRE TO BE THAT WAY ALSO.

I so agree it is not our job to control others. I also agree that God will correct those He loves and allow them to serve consequences for their behaviors hopefully to keep them from repeating. Yes God uses people to bring us back to God especially those whoa re spiritual.

Gal 6: Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. 2 Carry one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. 3If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. 4Each one should test his own work. Then he will have reason to boast in himself alone, and not in someone else 5For we are each responsible for our own conduct.

Yes bubbles that is so true. But I was not saying it was wrong I was just saying that we each should try to act like that.

So there was no need to yell at me in anger with your sweet loving voice. ;-)

TOXIC. Using Gods Word to infiltrate and cause troubles within the Body of Christ. Having a form of godliness but denying it’s power. To ignore it is to condone it.

Yes that is what you do Joyce, TOXIC and cause problems within the body of Christ here, in your church and in your family as you have shared in the past.

Oh yes as for your question on addictions I am addicted to nicotine but I do take 5 different meds for palliative care since I am dying. They help improve the quality of life for me.

Toxic. Maybe we all need a pill or two to improve the quality of life on the blog? Your words here are always critical and negative as usual. Dying has not softened your heart, yet. Not even going to respond to your latest snipes at me. But I will keep speaking truth in love to you, Pooh. I was just praying for you. God is bigger and you are NOT as in charge of things as you think and promote here. Hope you experience Gods peace very soon.

Eph 4:15 that is the meaning of speaking the truth in love. Not what you think is truth nor your kind of love. lol

Growing up in Christ, yes, which is my desire for you as I’ve said before. (Eph. 4:15)

I admit sometimes I have trouble visualizing God. Every cartoon drawing I have ever seen of Him is an old heavy set white man with white hair and a full flowing white beard.

I believe the depiction of Him in the Sistine Chapple is pretty much the same thing.

Not so odd all of the Nordic, Greek and Roman depictions of their top god looks the same.

Then we have Jesus, the only depictions of Him are the many early church paintings, which I am told come from the image seen by them on the Shroud of Turin.

However once again what we see is a younger version of the older version of God.

Of course all of the other ethnic groups in the world may have a personal problem having God presented to them as He is.

Years ago a black friend and I were talking of our faith and he ask me where I thought the races came from, since we all were descendants of Adam and Eve.

My youthful immediate response was that I thought the races came from inbreeding within the sons of Noah who dispersed from the ark as explained in Genesis chapters 10 and 11.

However that was just speculation on my part and an easy answer to his question.

Nearly every culture and religion on earth believes in some form of life or existence after death. They all believe in a soul or a spirit being representative of ourselves complete with memory and knowledge of our life in a flesh and bone body.

Ultimately God is the Father of us all, as He breathed life into Adam and Adam passed this along to all of his descendants. How do you think we show our Spiritual Father instinctively in our lives?

We read in our Bible that God gets angry, is jealous and seeks revenge or perhaps better said exerts judgement. Don’t we all do the same things?

The gods of Greek, Roman, Nordic and other cultures all gave their god’s human characteristics. I wonder if it is inverted in that we have inherited God’s characteristics rather than we imagine He too has them.

Then we come to Jesus of Nazareth who says that if you see Him you see God. Not only see Him, but God’s very nature is shown in the nature of Jesus as well.

Where then do we see Jesus’ nature? Some is given in writing in the letters of the NT, but where else is His nature seen? In answer to my own question, it should be shown in our nature as professing followers of Jesus and once born again filled with His Holy Spirit so that His Spirt is what is shown through and by us.

Why isn’t it always?

We instinctively know when we fail and through confession to God ask forgiveness for our failures, and just as easily see the same failures in the actions of those around us. However that doesn’t make us pious or snobbish or errantly judgmental, it simply means we can see the difference between right and wrong in ourselves and in others.

Spare the rod and spoil the child is a quote from Scripture. Used as a way of correcting the behavior of a child and used in correcting the childish behavior in adults as well.

If ignored in the misguided sense of not being judgmental of an errant believer then the “child” simply gets worse and more settled in that behavior and more difficult to correct over time.

Then once again we come to the fruits of the Spirit. His Spirit and His Spirit in us. We are told to recognize His Spirit in our own behavior and in others. It is impossible to see one and not also see the absence of His Spirit in our own actions and certainly in others.

God seen the absence of His Spirit so clearly in humans that He sacrificed His only Son so that humans could have the indwelling of His Spirit.

Like our Heavenly Father we too see and we too can discern between right and wrong. Forgiveness isn’t ignoring sin in another, it is forgiving it.

Well I have given myself and hopefully some of you something to think about this morning.

58 degrees under cloudy skies.

If people think God looks like Santa Claus then maybe that is why they treat Him as if He is. God is Spirit(John 4:24), Jesus is fully human and fully God the fully human part was resurrected and given a resurrected body that could live eternally resistant to decay.

Whoever said Adam and Eve were white in skin color? If one looks at the color of the dust of the ground/soil it sure isn’t white.(Gen 2:7) There is only one race and that is the human race which includes every skin color and because of the gene pool being pure at that time there were probably not any white people they came after 1000’s of generation were bred down.

Because He has already been our help, we feel confidence in Him for the present and the future. —Spurgeon

They got bleached out, lol.

Forgiveness has been a great struggle for me but without that struggle then forgiveness is just words and I need for my own peace of mind to put my own anger and hatred in Jesus’s hands and since I have done so I no longer feel the need to feel vengeful towards my enemies.

My dad knew not to play God and there is great wisdom in knowing that because he never did have any bitterness towards his enemies which kept him right with God.

I must keep the right relationship with God in order to have the right relationship with others I believe.

Also whoever said that Noah, his wife, his sons and their wives were white? Isn’t God more concerned with His image in us which concerns not what the outside looks like but what the inside looks like;

2 Peter: I am writing to you who share the same precious faith we have. This faith was given to you because of the justice and fairness of Jesus Christ, our God and Savior.

2 May God give you more and more grace and peace as you grow in your knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord.

3 By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. 4 And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires.

5 In view of all this, “MAKE EVERY EFFORT” to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge, 6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness, 7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone.

8 The MORE YOU GROW LIKE THIS, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But those who fail to develop in this way are shortsighted or blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their old sins.

10 So, dear brothers and sisters, “WORK HARD” to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. “DO THESE THINGS”, and you will never fall away. 11 Then God will give you a grand entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

74. bratimus says:

I read Steve’s comments on the face of God and the face of Jesus in in some depictions in the world.

I look for the Face of Jesus in God’s creation(s).

We need to seek Christ first for a chance to see God’s face.

Personally I thinks Jesus is playing peek a boo with me, but He isn’t peeking and I just get the boo.

It’s not that Jesus is covering His face with his hands, It’s that He is covering my eyes with his hands.
    So I walk in faith, which is a gift from God through His grace. So try to walk in God’s grace what ever He might shine down on me.

Some might think that Jesus is playing hide n go seek with them. Jesus isn’t hiding your seeking Him in the wrong place.

These are my thoughts and if you don’t understand them that’s all right. Some might, some might not.

Prayers and Peace to all.

The Brat

75. bratimus says:

By the way I love Steve’s comments, usually after reading Mart’s post my thoughts on it Steve has already written. So I don’t post because it’s already there. I also have trouble putting my thoughts into words.

I have trouble putting my thoughts into words so I post short statements.

Thank You Steve for the great comments :)

The Brat

Bratimus allow me to humbly thank you for your kind words. The secret is to say something when you have something to say.

I and I am sure everyone here also loves to hear from you. It isn’t always important how articulate we are with what we have to say, but rather that we speak honestly what is in our hearts.

Your comments clearly speak of your love of Jesus and the Holy Spirit in you and in your comments.

Share what your heart has to say and you will always be spot on.

Thank you again for your kind words of encouragement.

I can relate to having difficult in putting thoughts into words and also comprehension. English and Geography were my worst subjects at school and I am afraid still are.

“The Heart Of Worship”

I’m coming back to the heart of worship
    And it’s all about You
    It’s all about You, Jesus
    I’m sorry, Lord, for the thing I’ve made
    When it’s all about You
    It’s all about You, Jesus

Good morning fellow travelers!