Reading Between the Lines

Monarchs and Viceroys

In the end, God will make his enemies his footstool (Hebrews 10:13). For most of my life I saw this as an allusion to the way God will condemn and humble his enemies “under foot”— as ancient warlords put their feet on the necks of conquered enemies.

What I didn’t notice until recently is that the backstory of Old Testament Scripture likens the footrest of a royal throne to (1) the sacred Ark of the Covenant, (2) to the Temple of God, (3) to the holy (set apart for God’s purposes) city of Jerusalem, and even (4) to the whole world itself (each of these are pictured as places of God’s presence and worship)— and (5) to the enemies of God.

Here’s the Harper’s Bible Dictionary entry for Footstool: a royal symbol (see 2 Chron. 9:18), most often used figuratively for the Ark (1 Chron. 28:2), the Temple (see Isa. 60:13), or even Zion (Lam. 2:1). Elsewhere and in response to this view, the entire earth is described as God’s footstool (Isa. 66:1; cf. Matt. 5:35; Acts 7:49). The term is also used to represent vanquished enemies in Ps. 110:1 (cf. Matt. 22:44; Acts 2:35; Heb. 10:13).

As in so many other words of Scripture, I think I’m now seeing— between what is said and not said— enough white space to hope our self-sacrificing God will in the end—make enemies and strangers who didn’t bow the knee in life— his footstool in a way that is merciful— rather than merciless

Hope that—as in the beginning, the “rest” of our God is a hint and  reminder that— in his judgment— when his work is done— it is good.

104 Responses to “Reading Between the Lines”

Mart says: I realize that for some this might seem like nothing more than wishful thinking or another reckless attempt to twist Scripture. But for those who have lost ancestors or descendants to the grave without assurance of their salvation, this might be one more reason to hope that— in the end—all will be well—for those we love.

It has always given me great distress to know that my children are not believers but have thought to myself that my dad was my example and so perhaps some day I might be their’s.

I have always believed it was wishful thinking on my part to think that way so you have made my day in reassuring me that my beliefs about God are that He is more merciful than merciless.

I have lived too long with violence and hatred to wish for anything else than a God of grace and mercy.

As someone who has not learned from scripture but from life itself I have every confidence in your perseverance in seeking God’s truth from scripture because I see a man with a heart for God and I lived too long listening to men who were interpreting scripture to their own ends to have come to know the difference.

Dear Mart,
    As one who has been judged and “put under foot” for most of my life what I’ve also discovered is that in becoming more like Christ it is mercy that lifts the weight of those burdens. The mercy seat; burdens placed under it will be free forever! Lovely post, thanks and God bless.

Until I made My enemies My footstool

Thank you Mart for this explanation. And indeed, you could also say:

“This is wishful thinking. God will punish the evil men. In the end He will.”

It is my own choice what I want to believe:

1-That the time of Grace is over at the time of Judgment, and then finally we will see : A God of Wrath.

or

2- God is always love, God always Hopes
    Even in the Judgment, and after, God is always hoping

Forever my personal belief is that God, knowing everything, the beginning and the end, does not hope as we think of hope. I’ve always been a bit confused about this. Maybe you can help me? I know scripture says that love always hopes and God IS love so does that mean that none are ever lost? Then what’s the point of the cross? Sorry but it has a universalist feel to it for me.

Hoping to me means there is no end, no bottom line. I may be wrong though.

A long time ago I wrote about reading beyond the black and red words of the bible to the white it was written on in other words the Spirit behind those words. I believe that reading between the lines brings hope in our dark world to be able to see the light.

When I look into the sky and see nothing but dark storm clouds I know that beyond those clouds the sky is blue and the sun is shining. I have hope not in anything I can do but in what God has done and what He is doing. He rises beyond my limited sight, thinking and often in ways I can not hear or understand but in my finite world I continue to listen and HOPE in His great mercy!

Without the Cross there is no hope for any of us.
    So the Cross is Crucial
    ( What a Line! )

But the Cross has only effect on us when we accept it.
    Accept Jesus as our Lord

My Utmost today has a good point on that

Jesus came to take away the sins of the world.

God is waiting till we accept it.
    Only humble people can do so:
    Poor in spirit: the ones who see they are lost and cannot save themselves.

God’s hope is a Godly Hope
    Faith Hope and Love
    Are the only three that remain
    1 Cor 13:13

“My Hope Is In You”

I meet with You and my soul sings out
    As your word throws doubt far away
    I sing to You and my heart cries
    “Holy! Hallelujah, Father, You’re near!”

My hope is in You, Lord
    All the day long, I won’t be shaken by drought or storm
    A peace that passes understanding is my song
    And I sing my hope is in You, Lord

I wait for You and my soul finds rest
    In my selfishness, You show me grace
    I worship You and my heart cries “Glory
    Hallelujah, Father, You’re here!”

My hope is in You, Lord
    All the day long I won’t be shaken by drought or storm
    A peace that passes understanding is my song
    And I sing my hope is in You, Lord

I will wait on You
    You are my refuge
    I will wait on You
    You are my refuge

My hope is in You, Lord, all the day long
    I won’t be shaken by drought or storm
    My hope is in You, Lord
    All the day long I won’t be shaken by drought or storm

A peace that passes understanding is my song
    And I sing my hope is in You, Lord
    My hope is in You, Lord, yeah
    My hope is in You, Lord

Thank you Mart for a clearer understanding of what you meant by “reading between the lines” with the “footstool”. The difference in what is said and what is not said.

hope the assurance of receiving things that are not seen.

forgiveness of sin…

righteousness….

true life……

God Himself.

He makes me lay down in green pastures.

not made in china or japan or in america.

they could be from china japan america or from the remotes ends of the earth.

Isaiah 51:1
    [ Israel Exhorted ] “Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness, Who seek the Lord: Look to the rock from which you were hewn And to the quarry from which you were dug.

quarry-
    1. an excavation or pit, usually open to the air, from which building stone, slate, or the like, is obtained by cutting, blasting, etc.

2. an abundant source or supply. dictionarycom

God says so much more in His silences and maybe that is because in such a noisy and chaotic world it is the silences that gets my attention.

The incredible truth is that He finds a way beyond my doubts, fears and transgressions.

When my heart is overwhelmed
    And my eyes are blind to You
    And the pain of life is just too heavy to bear

And then the mountains seems so high
    And my faith’s too weak to climb
    Lead me to the rock that is higher than I

Lead me to the rock, lead me to the rock
    Lead me to the rock that is higher than I
    Lead me to the rock, lead me to the rock
    Lead me to the rock that is higher than I

When my life is hit with fear
    And I fight to hide the tears
    And I wrestle in my heart to know what to do

Lord, I’m welling up inside
    But I know You hear my cry
    Jesus, lead me to the rock that is higher than I

Lead me to the rock, lead me to the rock
    Lead me to the rock that is higher than I
    Lead me to the rock, lead me to the rock
    Lead me to the rock that is higher than I

You are the rock and there is no other
    A tower of strength, You are my shelter
    Lord, You are my hope eternal
    You are the rock that is higher than I

You are the rock and there is no other, oh
    A tower of strength, You are my shelter
    Lord, You are my hope eternal
    You are the rock that is higher than I

Lead me to the rock, lead me to the rock
    Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, oh
    Lead me to the rock, lead me to the rock
    Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, oh

Lead me to the rock, lead me to the rock
    Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, oh
    Lead me to the rock, lead me to the rock
    Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, oh

There is a wonderful documentary on the Life and Legacy of Martin Luther from Ligonier ministries I am watching. It is so good. It’s only available for a short time.
    youtu.be/6VK0p-tuuao

Thank you all for your thoughts on “ hope”. I’m clearer now.

Not “hope so” but “know so”.

A famous battle cry goes; kill them all and let God sort them out. Jesus said “Love them all-enemies, neighbors, despots, despicables- the scum of the earth. No need to read between the lines to hear that. Black and white. Not always easy to even want to do this. Grace, takes more grace. Is there ever enough?

So I’m very confused. Is Mart saying he believes there is no hell and that if people die in unbelief God gives them a second chance after they die? I’m asking because that is how I interpret what he posted today.

I cannot believe what I have read and am hurt, disillusioned, and disappointed. It made me cry.

What good does it do to worry about those who are already dead? Put them into the hands of God. If one is so worried about the dead then shouldn’t we have shared the gospel with them before they died? Luke 9:60 NLT

bubbles, is that what Mart wrote or how you read it?

Pooh, did you read my post? Is that what you read or what I wrote?

What I read were words being put into Mart’s comment that he did not say but that were assumed. Then the assumption triggered such an emotional response. Did I read that wrong?

On Sunday the pastor talked about the prodigal. He said there are many prodigals in the Body of Christ (the church) and that we can’t know for sure if some, like the thief on the cross, turn or re-turn to Jesus just before they die. Later that day a neighbor I’ve just been “loving” for a couple years came over and we started talking about churches. She doesn’t go. But I found myself explaining the differences between the Roman Catholic church and the events of the Reformation. As I shared about baptism and the differences she surprised me by saying she was baptised by immersion when she was 10 years old, right after she was adopted out of an abusive home. I asked her why she was baptised and she said she didn’t remember. then another neighbor came over so the conversation ended. However, I saw such a change come over her, her whole countenance lifted and a faint smile as I could see she was reliving the event of 45 years ago. It was stunning. She and her twin sister were adopted by a gay couple who did not believe in God Bible Church. Oh God is so good! And I learned not to judge a book by its cover, if you know what I mean as far as salvation goes. I believe I have been loving a prodigal all along, maybe. I’m sure we’ll talk more.

What Mart says lets in a little light on long held beliefs/dogmas that need to be looked at and thought about. There is nothing to fear. God is quite used to controversy and the slowness of the human mind to catch the Light. Watching the legacy of Martin Luther today I noticed it did not come easy for Him to understand grace, and he was a monk teacher theologian! He was brilliant! (His miner dad wanted him to be a lawyer so he wouldn’t have to work in the mines). God had other ideas though.
    Good night.

thinking of paul an enemy of God, become a place that worships God. same for the redeemed. His grace and mercy are indeed GREAT!

thinking of Christians working out out their salvation in fear and trembling, as God works in them as they measure weight and judge truth justice righteousness mercy grace generosity and love.

thinking of mart use of the word imagination in relation to the word creativity. made in the image of God.

thinking how God plants and it grows and is fruitful.

even when they are old they will be green and full of sap.

Nobody said there was no hell.

At least I didn’t read it.

Mart showed the monarchs, on the picture.
    He must have read about the pupas. The “souplesse”.

And so it is for our longheld interpretation.

One of them could be: if you have not accepted Christ while you were alive, then no chance left.

Bubbles asked:
    if people die in unbelief God gives them a second chance after they die?

I hope that that is so.
    That is purely my own hope.
    So I would plead with God, and ask Him to give them a second chance.
    That is totally my own urge, and it comes from deep within me.

But….
    When I take a good look at
    Revelation 20:11-15
    I seem to see a second chance for those who have not accepted Christ while they lived.
    As those who had accepted Christ are mentioned in Rev 20:4-6
    They are secure.

But those talked about in verse 12, all the dead.
    And to me it looks that they are judged according to what they have done in their lives.

This is what I read there: IF they have done good deeds, if they have helped other people, they are not thrown in the lake of fire.

To me that seems like a second chance.

A second chance to accept Christ that is.

To me that passage in Revelation looks like Matthew 25:31-46
    The sheep and the goats

What I did write just above, I would plead with God.

You might say: “Who are you that you think you can plead with God?
    What God says He will do, He will do”

Is that so?

I found a good example of someone who pleaded with God:
    Moses
    Exodus 32:10
    God says: “Now leave Me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them. Then I will make you into a great nation.”

So here I am not giving any doctrines of the afterlife. But following the pleading what Moses did.

And I do think deep down that God wants us to do that.

In the pleading Moses did, Exodus 32:11-14, 31-35 Moses showed himself to be like Jesus!
    And God liked that mindset.

Don’t take me wrong, I am not a Moses, but I do read that God wants us all, to have the attitude of Jesus.
    Phil 2:5

Your attitude should be the same as that of Jesus Christ
    Phil 2:5(KJV)
    I gave the NIV version.

What was implied is heresy.

Van YouTube explain that to me, Bubbels?
    What heresy?

Oh, sorry, the auto-correct worked at the moment of submission.

My english auto-correct is gone.

Again:
    Bubbles, can you explain that to me?
    In what way was what heresy implied?

So that is a twofold question.

From reading and absorbing Psalms 51:1-17 KJV I learned what God wants from us.

Nothing is implied here it is very clear.

In fact we learn that even though David committed the acts of adultery and his involvement with the death of Uriah that God’s Holy Spirit was still with him. Psalms 51:11 KJV

In Hebrews 10:13 KJV and wherever footstool is given, my interpretation has always been when these people submit to God’s authority.

Submission to God as in “Every eye shall see and every knee shall bend”.

On a more personal note we have been having a very rough patch with Matt since Friday. He has fallen 5 times as a result of having fell Friday and hurting his left foot and leg. I had him to the hospital nothing was broken, but since he has fallen 4 more times because he can’t stand to transfer well.

We would appreciate all of your prays for his healing and return to his ability to stand and turn from seat to seat.

I am praying Steve!
    Please God, have mercy on Matt.
    You promised everything would be allright with Matt.
    We bless You in Your work, working that out!
    We trust You, Lord.
    Help us to trust You

About the topic:

I like what you said:

“My response to reading between the lines is still that it is a dangerous thing to do because of our human nature. It is the birth place of cults.

However if I am forced to do so my view will always remain “Hope” and “Mercy” for everyone, especially those I love.”

I had to think of My Utmost of yesterday:
    That when we became christian:
    We aknowledged that Christ died for us,
    But…..
    That we died with Christ=
    the old man in us must die.

But many have written about this: the Holy Spirit teaches the deeper things, isn’t that the spaces between the lines?

The literal words and the spiritual meaning?

Paul talks about one sin that is done spiritally is also done physically:
    1 Cor 6:18
    In context: 1 Cor 6:12-20
    So you cannot spiritualise a sexual sin as being a good thing

Steve, I will be praying for Matt to regain the strength he worked so hard for and strength for you too, to lift him with your pulled muscle. So heartbroken to hear of his struggles and praising God nothing was broken.
    ***********************************************

bubbles, assumed not implied.

Could it be useless to pray for those who have already gone but good to trust them into God’s hands because we do not know what happens but we can trust God. Jesus taught that while people are alive that is the time to share the Gospel and there are plenty of chances to hear all around. People make the choice to be with God or to turn away from Him while living.

To explain about those already dead Jesus gave the Parable of the rich man and Lazarus in Luke 16:19-31 NLT. Why worry when we can trust God to do what is right and good, isn’t that what Mart was implying? Didn’t Mart say that it was those “left behind” that needed assurance of salvation for those who died because maybe they did not know whether they came to believe or not but we can have Hope that God will do the merciful thing(my paraphrase of what Mart said).

Yes forever, I believe that is exactly what Mart was saying was the difference in reading with or without spiritual eyes and ears. The more we learn the more is revealed. It is not just a read once and done it is the living word which God shows us more and more, the more we seek and search the more He seems to reveal.

Going along with what Mart said; Charles Stanley, I think it was him, once said that when we get to heaven we will be surprised by who we find there and surprised also at who is NOT there. So we can not be assured of the salvation of anyone else but our own.

Until Christ is formed in me my old nature remains and why there is such an internal struggle to surrender to God.

It is a personal growth and why I cannot understand another’s anymore than they can understand mine.

Everyone sees God differently because they don’t focus on Jesus yet we all know Jesus is the way, the light and the truth so it is wandering from this truth that causes the confusion or waywardness but God is faithful in drawing me back to Himself such is His goodness and mercy.

If God has extended such goodness and mercy to me then why shouldn’t I expect He will extend it to others as I am no more deserving of it than any one else.

It was God who showed me my waywardness so I believe that the living, lost and dead are all in God’s hands otherwise God is not omniscient and I decide because someone doesn’t believe they deserve hell but that is not my call to make as it is very much in God’s hands who He shows mercy to or that is the Gospel that I know and unless you can prove to me otherwise it is the one I will go to God believing.

We talk as if God doesn’t exist and then call another an atheist.

35. mtman says:

I agree with Bubbles that what Mart wrote is heresy. If we can read between the lines and make our own determination or conjecture then Timothy 3:16-17 is wrong and and the bible is not inspired by God. It is what ever the reader wants to add or embellish it to be. That infers the bible is not inspired by God and has not factual value – only what you decide you want it to be. That denies also the validity of the Holy Spirit, Jesus and God. Grieving the Holy Spirit is the one unforgivable sin.

To read between the lines or add our own conjecture to me is as dangerous as it gets and to lead others astray, well – might just as well tie a mill stone around your neck and be tossed into the ocean. I read Marts comment clearly and have read it several times and come to the same conclusion. It realistically denies the Holy Spirit by venturing into his own interpretation of the bible or fill in the gaps between the lines. That is clear from his explanation in the previous post. I find the direction this blog is going extremely dangerous and those who travel along with his “reading between the lines” nonsense should re-evaluate just what they do believe in.

I have tried to read it his way to give him the benefit of the doubt but the inescapable conclusion is that it is heresy and clearly sinful if not the unforgivable sin. Mostly in his posts he makes good sense and provokes thought but this topic has taken a major departure in my opinion.

Well Mart, you are being called out as a heretic. What do you have to say for yourself?

Reading Between the Lines

is not faith, faith in God, reading between the lines?
    trust in God, working in clay. working through the Holy Spirit given to each broken pot. thinking of paul’s analogy of a soldier getting dress. not by power not by might but by My Spirit says the LORD. if flesh and blood can not inherit the Kingdom, then a new body is needed to get dressed. you must be born again. John 12:24
    Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. it bears fruit because it abides in the vine. thinking of the different kinds of soils and about the one who sows bad seed.

Jesus is the treasure hidden in a field.

Forever that is an interesting viewpoint. My question, does God change His mind? Openness theology says God doesn’t really know what’s going to happen tomorrow and let’s us determine the way we want things to go. One of my profs was an author of this and it is clearly the opposite of what the reformers taught. Not saying you are an Openness theorist, but that does come to mind for some reason. Not fighting just thinking.

39. bratimus says:

I’m still not sure where Mart was going with this topic.

I will say this “When I bow at the feet of God, and He puts His feet on me to rest them, sure no problem, I would just say “God, You are Mighty and I’m weak be gentle.”

How deals with people friend or foe, is God’s judgements, above my pay grade. I would point to the sower of the seed in Matthew, read the Psalms and Proverbs. In what God approves of and disapproves of.

In Christ Jesus name

Bratimus

40. bratimus says:

Always prayers for Steve and his family!!!

In Christ Jesus name

Your Friend
    Bratimus

41. bratimus says:

Oh and remember Jesus Christ said, “That everything is possible through God.”

Some may not like God’s conclusions to things, but it is God’s will at work here, not mans will.

In Christ Jesus name

Bratimus

This makes me very very uncomfortable.
    Calling what Mart wrote above a heresy.
    He tells that making His enemies His footstool,
    is something positive.
    What is the heresy?

I have been studying the revengeful God,
    Someone explaining that God destroys His enemies by turning them into His Friends.

It is on the site: the character of God.

Reading and reading bible passages in Isaiah…
    This man comes to the conclusion that God’s punishment always has the aim to restoration!
    Not annihilation, total destroyment of the person.
    Hut destroying the evil that is within us.

If someone comes immediately: this is heresy…

End of discussion

Just left with a very uncomfortable feeling

Being a “Reformer” always comes with risks. Thy will be done.

I got the impression that Mart actually writes that you cannot just give any meaning to scripture,
    But
    The overall thought is:
    that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son
    That whoso believes in Him should not perish

thinking about how a caterpillar becomes a butterfly.
    even more intriguing a seed becoming bread from heaven. some of the parables speak of stewards giving the people of the Masters household food, bread, at the proper time.
    i think the bread is to be broken and no leaven.

Genesis 18:25
    Far be it from You to do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous and the wicked are treated alike. Far be it from You! Shall not the Judge of all the earth deal justly?”

Matthew 13:12
    For whoever has, to him more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has shall be taken away from him.

Ephesians 3:19-21

19 and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.

20 Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, 21 to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations [a]forever and ever. Amen.

Mart says: Hope that—as in the beginning, the “rest” of our God is a hint and reminder that— in his judgment— when his work is done— it is good.

It seems to me that Mart is reassuring us that when God’s work is revealed we will see that His (God’s) judgements are good.

I don’t see there is anything to disagree with.

Mart, I am reminded of what Paul said to the Corinthians; “Dear brothers and sisters, when I was with you I couldn’t talk to you as I would to spiritual people. I had to talk as though you belonged to this world or as though you were infants in Christ. 2 I had to feed you with milk, not with solid food, because you weren’t ready for anything stronger. And you still aren’t ready, 3 for you are still controlled by your sinful nature. You are jealous of one another and quarrel with each other. Doesn’t that prove you are controlled by your sinful nature? Aren’t you living like people of the world?”

I have known you for 11 years and have never noticed any false teaching or anything heretical in anything you have ever written. You have however pushed me out of a small box of thinking to expand my horizons but nothing that ever pointed me away from Christ and His teaching as others often times have on here.

Better to have hope than to be grumpy and cynical. That’s what I’m thinking anyway even if our minds can’t quite grasp the reason for the hope. What will our tombstones say? Hopefully something God honoring and not… well, you know.

I wonder Mart, why did you hone in on the word “Footstool” to give you hope that God’s wrath won’t come down upon loved ones who refuse(d) His gift of salvation??? You have Biblical backup as to what God’s breath spoke as a definition. The last example being “God’s enemies will be His footstool”.

I’d like to direct you to not just a word but a phrase – also God inspired and written down in His Book…..”The dreadful day of the Lord”. Malachi 4:5; Amos 5:18; Joel 2:31; Zephaniah 1:14,15; Isaiah 13:9; 2 Peter 3:10 This phrase, as you can see, occurs frequently in the Bible. Just as God is described as merciful, loving and Patient, the Dreadful Day of the Lord should remind us too that God will not remain silent with man. Man’s day doesn’t last forever. It will come to an end. And then comes that dreadful day.

I don’t have to read between the lines, imagine, assume or presume what that phrase might mean. The Lord will come cruel, both with wrath and fierce anger. I believe that because the Bible tells me so. In crystal clear language.

I don’t think there is a Christian alive that doesn’t worry about “a” loved one that has refused God’s gift of salvation. In fact for me, there are more than “a”. And yes I am worried sick and scared for them.

But I trust God that He knows what He is doing. He sees the tears I shed for these loved ones and I know He is crying too. But for me to wishful think that my loved ones are just so special that they will never be held in punishment for blindly and willfully choosing NOT to accept Jesus Christ as their Saviour and Lord, well I am more blind than they are..

None is so blind as he who will not see.

Do I hurt??? You bet your boots I do but I trust God that He knows best and that…in the end—all will be well…even if that means He erases every memory I have of them so that I am not tormented. My child-like faith will see me through and my Master will be right there with me.

I am praying for you Mart.

I am also praying always for you Steve and Matt. My heart hurts. xoxo

More thoughts on hope..

Abrahams hope

20 No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, 21 fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. 22 That is why his faith was “counted to him as righteousness.”

23 But the words “it was counted to him” were not written for his sake alone, 24 but for ours also.
    It will be counted to us
    who believe in him who raised from the dead Jesus our Lord, 25 who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification.

Hallelujah!!

God is cruel? Isn’t that reading between the lines from a human perspective? I thought only human beings had that characteristic.

A simple faith is to believe God and it was that faith which my dad followed because he put his trust in God and did not concern himself with matters that were for God Himself to judge.

He focused on Christ as his example and by doing so never complained when suffering but rather believed that it was necessary in this life and he would be rewarded in the next.

He believed the Bible was for his encouragement and rebuke and I can see now his wisdom as different interpretations can only cause division and I have lived in a country which has suffered because of division because as the saying goes ‘united we stand’ or ‘divided we fall’.

God has expectations of us and its time we started living up to those expectations otherwise we have no right to say we follow Jesus unless we are willing to suffer for His Kingdom.

The Promise

I never said that I would give you silver or gold
    Or that you would never feel the fire or shiver in the cold
    But I did say you’d never walk through this world alone
    And I did say, don’t make this world your home

I never said that fear wouldn’t find you in the night
    Or that loneliness was something you’d never have to fight
    But I did say I’d be right there by your side
    And I did say I’ll always help you fight

‘Cause you know I made a promise that I intend to keep
    My grace will be sufficient in every time of need
    My love will be the anchor that you can hold onto
    This is the promise, this is the promise I made to you

I never said that friends would never turn their backs on you
    Or that the world around you wouldn’t see you as a fool
    But I did say like me, you’ll surely be despised
    And I did say my ways confound the wise

I didn’t say you’d never taste the bitter kiss of death
    Or have to walk through chilly Jordan to enter into rest
    But I did say I’d be waiting right on the other side (yeah, yeah)
    And I did say I’ll dry every tear you cry

‘Cause you know I made a promise that I’ve prepared a place
    And some day sooner than you think you’ll see me face to face
    And you’ll sing with the angels and a countless multitude
    This is the promise, this is the promise I’ve made to you

So just keep on walkin’, don’t turn to the left or right
    And in the midst of darkness, let this be your light
    That hell can’t separate us and you’re gonna make it through
    This is the promise, this is the promise I made to you, oh
    This is the promise, this is the promise I made to you

What Mart is saying: long held views may have to be reconsidered.
    Things we have believed but are not what the bible says.

The judgments of God are true!
    But…
    Are God’s judgments to annihilate totally
    Is that really what God is going to do?
    And if hou question that are you then part of a heresy?

I have one great question mark about the never ending hell

But one word in that judgment:
    Rev 20:10
    They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever

The Greek word is: aionas ton aionas

Aeons and aeons

Like billion and billion of years.

Now that is really cruel. Darkest of darkest times.
    A terrible fate.

Now here is what I hope is true:
    IF someone then, after aeons and aeons would cry out to God, with a sincere heart
    Then God will hear…

Then all bible verses appeared to be true:
    The ages and ages of the fire
    And
    That God Who is Love, and Love always Hopes.

As fire consumes the forest
    or a flame sets the mountains ablaze,
    so pursue them with Your tempest
    and terrify them with Your storm.
    Cover their faces with shame
    so that men will seek Your name, O Lord.

Psalm 83:14-16

As someone who has not come to know God through the Bible it would seem my beliefs on God are very much wishful thinking or that is how another would see them.

I did not come to these beliefs on a bed of roses but through experiences of life which brought about suffering that when coming through I trusted God to bring me through.

While my own personal sufferings where often difficult I always believed in God’s presence throughout the trials and I have found Him to be faithful.

When it comes to what is going on in my country I see that division and cynicism are the key factors in it being stuck in the past with each side being triumphant in believing that God is on their side.

It was my dad who taught me it is for me to be on God’s side otherwise He will go ahead without you as it is His will to get His Kingdom on earth and you are either with Him or against Him as God will have His way and with that in mind I am reminded that I should be much more concerned with whether Jesus will say ‘Well done’ or not.

Quotes from C. S. Lewis:|

Has this world been so kind to you that you should leave with regret? There are better things ahead than any we leave behind.

The demand of the loveless and the self-imprisoned that they should be allowed to blackmail the universe: that till they consent to be happy (on their own terms) no one else shall taste joy: that theirs should be the final power; that Hell should be able to veto Heaven.

What would really satisfy us would be a God who said of anything we happened to like doing, ‘What does it matter so long as they are contented?’

If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were precisely those who thought most of the next. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this.

It is quite useless knocking at the door of heaven for earthly comfort. It’s not the sort of comfort they supply there.

Reality the iconoclast once more. Heaven will solve our problems, but not, I think, by showing us subtle reconciliations between all our apparently contradictory notions. The notions will all be knocked from under our feet. We shall see that there never was any problem.

[God] will not be used as a convenience. Men or nations who think they can revive the Faith in order to make a good society might just as well think they can use the stairs of heaven as a shortcut to the nearest chemist’s shop.

He is not the soul of Nature, nor any part of Nature. He inhabits eternity: He dwells in a high and holy place: heaven is His throne, not his vehicle, earth is his footstool, not his vesture. One day he will dismantle both and make a new heaven and earth. He is not to be identified even with the ‘divine spark’ in man. He is ‘God and not man.

No pooh, cruel is not reading between the lines. If you read your Bible, you would find it in the verse I posted.

Isaiah 13:9

If you have a problem with God saying the dreadful day of the Lord is cruel, you best take that up with Him.

And stop being so quick yourself to be cruel.

DAILY DEVOTIONAL OCTOBER 31, 2019
    TRUTH FOR LIFE
    Hope for the Backslider
    Renew a right spirit within me.
    Psalm 51:10

A backslider, if there is a spark of life left in him, will groan for restoration. In this renewal the same exercise of grace is required as at our conversion. We needed repentance then; we certainly need it now. We required faith that we might come to Christ at first; only the same grace can bring us to Jesus now. We needed a word from the Most High, a word from the lip of the loving One, to end our fears then; we shall soon discover, when under a sense of present sin, that we need it now. No man can be renewed without as real and true a manifestation of the Holy Spirit’s energy as he felt at first, because the work is as great, and flesh and blood are as much in the way now as they ever were.

Let your personal weakness, Christian, be an argument to make you pray sincerely to your God for help. Remember, David when he felt himself to be powerless did not fold his arms or close his lips, but he hurried to the mercy-seat crying, “renew a right spirit within me.” Do not allow the doctrine that you, unaided, can do nothing make you sleep; but let it be a goad in your side to drive you with an awful earnestness to Israel’s strong Helper. O that you may have grace to plead with God, as though you pleaded for your very life–“renew a right spirit within me.” He who sincerely prays to God to do this will prove his honesty by using the means through which God works.

Be much in prayer; live constantly on the Word of God; kill the lusts that have driven your Lord from you; be careful to watch over the future uprisings of sin. The Lord has His own appointed ways; sit by the wayside, and you will be ready when He passes by. Continue in all those blessed ordinances that will foster and nourish your dying graces; and knowing that all the power must proceed from Him, do not cease to cry, “Renew a right spirit within me.”

Pat you may try reading the verses around that one. Just pulling one out to prove your point rather than understanding God seems a bit heretical isn’t it? God is just and right in His judgements of ridding the world of evil and sin. “The day of the Lord” are a few words to notice when applied to cruel it does not say the Lord is cruel, right?

When trying to define a word one can take scripture out but to define the character of God by taking a scripture out of context is misuse.

pooh You are the one to apply cruel as an adjective for the Lord and you do that just for an argument with your typical almighty haughty attitude. If you read what I posted, I was referring to the Dreadful Day of the Lord as cruel. That phrase. I did not say the Lord was cruel. You applied that meaning to Him by twisting what I said to fit your mood this halloween.

You will have to go elsewhere to pick apart someone because I will have nothing more to say to you.

I know as every believers should that we deserve the fierce anger and wrath of God but instead He showed us grace to those who are able to turn to Him to receive it.

Dear Heavenly Father…. as I said those words I thought, what a privilege to be able to say that. Bless all who speak to You today, because of Jesus. Amen

Psalm 34:8 NLT

Pat mind if I quote you, “The Lord will come cruel, both with wrath and fierce anger.”

I heard some good advice just now, that when we LISTEN to someone we should be always having our mind focused on Jesus and ask Him to guide our words, if we must speak at all!! Having the mind of Christ is our obedience for all He has done for us.

Am in-between things here with Matt, as his left foot is still very sore and standing on it is very painful. He has been able to accomplish his first big event of the morning with some difficulty and multitasking while he rests for the next big one.

He fell again yesterday even though I had a man here to help that not happen.

Want just for the sake of love say that I do not think Mart a heretic.

The very fact that this subject has raised eyebrows certainly carries a heresy tone, but that doesn’t mean Mart is guilty of any wrong doing other than trying to figure things out.

At the great white throne room of judgement following the second resurrection God will judge all those who did not accept Christ and therefore not have the initial blood of Christ covering many of the same sins they will be judged for.

I am so very glad it is God who judges them and not me.

I told you folks back on the topic of “Imagine” that I have a very active imagination. I easily can imagine a happy ending and if I work hard at it use Scripture to back it up.

To me this is not creating something out of nothing but seeing Scripture point in that direction. Not reading between the lines so much as interpreting what is already written.

I appreciate all of your prayers. These past 7 days have been and is the worst situation we have been in, with Matt staying home since we came home 20 + years ago.

It is miracle time for us.

Praying for Gods will concerning you, Steve, and your household.

What a friend we have in Jesus
    All our sins and griefs to bear
    What a privilege to carry
    Everything to God in prayer

Thinking about sinners. How some become intercessers. Following in their Lords footsteps. Death is difficult at best, but we are promised life, true life in Christ. A place to remain. I can see how mart is comforted in a hope of Gods ability to save even His enamies. We struggle with loved ones who have passed away. It real difficult to love Jesus more than than People we know and can touch sometimes and even harder to give grace to an enemy. Sometimes our self righteousness rears it’s head. Let His hand be heavy on me and His love in me. I hear His yoke is light

71. bratimus says:

I would also point to the day of Jesus Christ on the cross, and the other two that were with Him and you might get an answer.

In Christ Jesus name

Bratimus

Thinking of those who were “saved” under the heavy hand of fire and brimstone preaching and how that picture must be emblazoned on the heart. And mind.

My thoughts are, whatever it takes to meet Jesus works for me. Getting to know Him can change our early perceptions, it’s a lifelong learning process with grace, always plenty of grace!

Fear not little flock, for I am with thee.

Were not ALL people God’s enemies?

Romans 5: 9 Therefore, since we have now been justified by His blood, how much more shall we be saved from wrath through Him! 10For if, when we were enemies of God, we were reconciled to Him through the death of His Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through His life! 11Not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.…

Therefore, be reconciled to God!!! That is the heart of evangelistic preaching!

75. Mart DeHaan says:

I believe in hell, judgement, the lake off fire, and the dreadful day of the Lord—as I believe our God is a consuming fire who urges us to care for one another as he loves us.

Where we may respectfully and affectionately disagree is In the different ways we interpret Scripture in light of other Scripture…. while finding oneness in the Life, Death, Resurrection, Ways, and Spirit of Christ.

By ”reading between the lines” I’m trying not to discount any line— but to discern the spirit behind them…

In a very unusual turn of events I am writing something this evening.

Matt and I had a very stressful tough day, but he was able to accomplish everything he wanted to get done including getting his first shower in a week.

It was my plan to have him taken this morning to the ER, but I let him talk me out of that in favor of going forward with the day, it worked out for him.

I still am going to take him to the ER and was going to late this afternoon, but we got hit with some pretty bad weather so I will just get him comfortable for the evening and try and go tomorrow.

Yes we canceled trick or treating until Saturday evening.

I am happy to see Mart join in the conversation and why I am writing anything this evening.

I am sure most of you remember “Gary” and his conservative view of Salvation.

I dare say that no one agreed with Gary that you could lose your salvation once you accepted Jesus as Lord.

Yet he threw verse after verse at us in order to prove his case, while we stood fast on the verses that guaranteed our salvation was save in Christ.

I believe Gary believed as he did because of how he interpreted Scripture, but for me there is a place or point in Scripture where it does more than just be represented in print, it speaks to my heart in such a way that it becomes a part of me. Suddenly it becomes alive in me and nothing can remove it from me.

If I say to you all that I don’t want anyone to suffer eternal damnation. That I hope in the end of all things when God throws hell and death into that lake of fire that this means there is neither death anymore and there is no longer hell. That when all the former things are forgotten that they no longer exist. Would I be guilty of changing Scripture or just guilty of hoping that what I have read leads to that end?

Well I have said enough for the evening. Matt is about to get up and brush his teeth and then wants to just get to bed.

Thank you all for your prayers.

77. bratimus says:

I do miss Gary WE had some nice interactions, everything is used to God’s purpose. There is the one unforgivable sin Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. I do miss Gary

In Christ Jesus name

Bratimus

Mart

“Where we may respectfully and affectionately disagree is In the different ways we interpret Scripture in light of other Scripture…”

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could post a comment on what we believe and then not have to duck for cover for doing that? Seems you are the only one allowed to comment without getting picked apart for saying what you did. The rest of us have only been met with disrespect and scorn. And I do mean 99% of us.

Wearing battle armour before hitting the “submit comment” is a necessary prerequisite here.

Not to drag up the past but I ask, how can we have a conversation on – the different ways we interpret Scripture in light of other Scripture – if we have to go to battle with one who is always ready to start a war?

This topic of all of them!!!! Heck, there are days when commenting on the weather will be met with a thunderstorm from within this room.

I’m just asking because it is frustrating for me as it is, I’m sure, for most of the participants here.

Thank you for your consideration on this….

Pat

O God of all being, we thirst for the truth:
    The wonder of all that You are.
    You sing it and paint it through all You create –
    All beauty, each breath, every star.
    Almighty, all-holy, one God All-in-all,
    Pure light, all around, all above,
    We listen with awe as You whisper Your might
    But mightily thunder Your love.

O God, we are weakness, so futile and small.
    We blossom and die in a day.
    But You are the wholeness, the Source and the Goal,
    The heaven for which we were made,
    Our hope, our completeness, the life and the love,
    The joy that our hearts all pursue.
    Our rich satisfaction beyond every dream,
    Our fullness, O Father, is You!

Dear Pat,
    Just to set the record straight I no longer get frustrated by anyone here as I once did. God changed my heart- showed me more about grace- and gave me a different perspective; His perspective, His heart and the True meaning of reading between the lines. Seek His face. Spend time alone with Him, listen and He will teach you about true peace.
    Love and blessings,
    Joyce

Warning: as street mentioned the harder He is to us the better we become, more peaceful. Kept by a loving God.

Mart, You can explain till you are blue in the face and it still will not make any difference.
    ***********************

As we look around in our world today and even within our own families people who share an opposing view, a differing opinion or a disagreement others can take it as a personal insult so they react and attack with no respect or affection but with false accusations, name calling, disdain and contempt. I believe that sometimes it takes a crowbar to pry open a mind to receive new information especially if goes against long held beliefs even if those beliefs are held by a lack of facts or in ignorance. I also believe that the one who holds that crowbar to open our minds is the Lord for those who actually pursue or seek after Him but sadly many don’t care what the Lord says or teaches and do not realize that He can and will speak to us.

We are all individually on Gods timeline as far as spiritual formation goes. Gods.

Seems like God loves even those that “don’t care”. Only He can change a heart and mind. He changed mine. Even after I said “I don’t care” and held contempt and disdain but God did not let me go on my merry (but painful) way. He changed me by His grace. Pray for and treat others as you want to be treated. That’s in the Bible somewhere. I’m sure of it,

“God Of Wonders”

Lord of all creation
    Of water earth and sky
    The heavens are Your Tabernacle
    Glory to the Lord on high

[Chorus:]
    God of wonders beyond our galaxy
    You are Holy, Holy
    The universe declares Your Majesty
    And You are Holy Holy
    Lord of Heaven and Earth
    Lord of Heaven and Earth

Early in the morning
    I will celebrate the light
    When I stumble in the darkness
    I will call Your Name by night

[Chorus]

Lord of heaven and earth
    Lord of heaven and earth
    Hallelujah to the Lord of heaven and earth [repeat 3 times]
    Holy……Holy….Holy God…..

[Chorus]

Precious Lord reveal Your Heart to me….
    Father Holy..
    …Lord God Almighty…
    The universe declares Your Majesty
    You are Holy, Holy, Holy, Holy,
    Hallelujah to the Lord of heaven and earth

Steve, praying you get some answers when you take Matt to the ER today.

Mart, how can one use scripture to interpret scripture if they are not in the scriptures to begin with or are not used to listening to the guidance and discernment of the Spirit?

If one is used to listening to the guidance and discernment of the Holy Spirit then they may speak to people differently with the same respect and affection as they want others to speak to them.

We have been offered reconciliation with God which leads us to be reconciled to each other, no more animosity for those who are controlled by the Spirit.

2 Cor 5: Either way, Christ’s love controls us. Since we believe that Christ died for all, we also believe that we have all died to our old life. 15 He died for everyone so that those who receive his new life will no longer live for themselves. Instead, they will live for Christ, who died and was raised for them.

16 So we have stopped evaluating others from a human point of view. At one time we thought of Christ merely from a human point of view. How differently we know him now! 17 This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!

18 And all of this is a gift from God, who brought us back to himself through Christ. And God has given us this task of reconciling people to him. 19 For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation. 20 So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!” 21 For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so that we could be made right with God through Christ.

Happy Reformation Remembrance Day all!

Dear Mart,
    PLEASE respond to poohs question. She will hear what you say.

Beloved thanks for your help but not needed because it was a rhetorical question which I am sure Mart was aware of.

Yeah I thought about that after I posted.

How is your wound doing?

Well even after getting it debrided every Monday it has shrunk 30% but now I have to wear a bandage from just below my knee down to my toes for compression to help it heal. I have to get someone to help me put on a cast cover to take a shower so sometimes I just stay stinky, lol. The problem with that is my hair is so long down to my butt and gets greasy and the rest I can do sponge baths but not with my hair. Thank you for asking.

I am wondering what happened with Matt and his ER visit.

A beautiful song always lifts the spirit reminding that we all struggle but not without hope in a happy ending.

If We Never Meet Again

If we never meet again, this side of heaven
    As we struggle through this world and it’s strife
    There’s another meeting place somewhere in heaven
    By the side of the river of life

Where the charmin’ roses bloom forever
    And where separations come no more
    If we never meet again this side of heaven
    I will meet you on the beautiful shore

Soon, we’ll come to the end of life’s journey
    And perhaps, we’ll never meet anymore
    ‘Til we gather in heaven’s bright city
    Far away on that beautiful shore

Where the charmin’ roses bloom forever
    And where separations come no more
    If we never meet again this side of heaven
    I will meet you on that beautiful shore

(I will meet you on that beautiful shore)
    Soon, we’ll come to the end of life’s journey
    And perhaps, we’ll never meet anymore
    ‘Til we gather in heaven’s bright city
    Far away on that beautiful shore

If we never meet again this side of heaven
    As we struggle through this world and its strife
    There’s another meeting place somewhere in heaven
    By the side of the river of life

Where the charming roses bloom forever
    And where separation comes no more
    If we never meet again this side of heaven
    I will meet you on that beautiful shore

Oh, they say, we shall meet by the river
    Where no storm clouds ever darken the sky
    And they say, we’ll be happy in heaven
    In the wonderful sweet by and by
    If we never meet again

(If we never meet again this side of heaven)
    I will meet you on that beautiful shore
    (Beautiful beautiful shore)

Pooh as you are on hospice you might be able to get help with hygiene care. I don’t know what help is available in your state. You’d have to ask. Sounds rough what you are dealing with, alone. Praying you get some more help.

Never said I was on Hospice. There you go assuming again. :-)

Beloved I am completely able to care for myself the only reason I need help in putting on the cast cover is because I can not reach my toes on my left side to put it on. My neighbors and friends do not mind helping me at all, it is just me asking them(pride issues) to take time out to come for the 15-20 minutes to help put it on and take it off but that will only be for a short time longer. It is not rough at all just a minor glitch, I have had to deal with much, much worse and take care of kids at the same time but I have always been surrounded by a community of people willing to help whatever the needs may be just as I am there for them. Isn’t that what community is all about?

Yes, you shared you were on hospice because of your liver:-) I can find it if you like?

Sorry, I would not share a lie and I have never even been considered for hospice. You can look if you like but you will not find it. I did share that I was in the final stages of liver failure but never mentioned one word about anything to do with hospice. I do not have to keep track of the things I say if I don’t lie to begin with.

I think one must be careful when one assumes then believes that assumption as if it were reality.

Beloved says:
    November 2, 2019 at 2:26 pm
    poohpity says:
    May 17, 2019 at 5:18 pm
    Yes that is what you do Joyce, TOXIC and cause problems within the body of Christ here, in your church and in your family as you have shared in the past.

Oh yes as for your question on addictions I am addicted to nicotine but I do take 5 different meds for palliative care since I am dying. They help improve the quality of life for me.

SORRY I assumed you were on hospice. The term “Palliative care” was first introduced back in the late 80’s when I did my hospice training so yes, I assumed but not at all in a mean spirited way. I am grateful for your community that helps you! I know you take one day at a time.

Beloved says:
    November 2, 2019 at 2:29 pm
    The Difference Between Palliative Care and Hospice
    Both palliative care and hospice care provide comfort. But palliative care can begin at diagnosis, and at the same time as treatment. Hospice care begins after treatment of the disease is stopped and when it is clear that the person is not going to survive the illness.Jan 14, 2018

Sorry , posted this accidentally on the next topic.

However, a stern warning from Paul comes to me through the blessed Holy Spirit:

English Standard Version
    For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.